Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: 240 rally car
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:28 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

So I sold my 240ti to my buddy Houston who is going to rally it locally. I am forwarding him the info on the forum and I'm sure he will check in soon, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.
What do you guys think about rallying a 240?
Any suggestions?

Engine
Over the next couple of weekend we are going to do a full tune-up on the engine. Swap the beat turbo for another not so beat turbo.
Manual boost controller-ipd?????
K&N air filter

Brakes
It's got new pads but needs brake line. We are going to put the stainless steel lines in that I bought 6 months age.

Suspension
Bilsteins-all 4 corners
Springs-???????????
25mm sways from ipd
poly everywhere-eventually -not a priority

Exhaust
The rules insist on a cat. So we have to cut out the magniflo and install a cat. Does he keep the side pipe or go out the back. Do you guys think the cat will be quite enough or is he going to need another muffler. Does anyone sell a 3" over the axle cat back system???

Any suggestions for seats, harnesses and role cages???????

later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.norsk-rally.com/video/sigdal2006.wmv

lots of 240s rallying.

Post subject: Re: 240 rally car
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:38 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Chris C wrote:
Any suggestions?

well for one thing have a load of fun, i plan to do the same thing with a 200 series here next winter prob...start small of course with a cheap beater but yeah...way to go!!!

Chris C wrote:
Engine
Over the next couple of weekend we are going to do a full tune-up on the engine. Swap the beat turbo for another not so beat turbo.
Manual boost controller-ipd?????
K&N air filter

what cam does the engine have??? Dale could sell him an A-cam with a gear and IMO this would help while rallying....give more full throughout the power band...so while going a bit sideways around acorner keeping the rev's up you actually have power

take out anything you don't need obviously....move battery to the boot....i would keep PS in there though...

Chris C wrote:
Brakes
It's got new pads but needs brake line. We are going to put the stainless steel lines in that I bought 6 months age.

pads and fluid...all i can think of...or s60R brakes :twisted:

Chris C wrote:
Suspension
Bilsteins-all 4 corners
Springs-???????????
25mm sways from ipd
poly everywhere-eventually -not a priority

bilsteins good choice...got koni if he wants to adjust the dampening etc. bil's are cheaper though and will work fine

springs...TME's work well...also for 240's i love the eibach springs....Jenni has them on her 240 and i love the ride

25mm sways...i am not sure...i would go for maybe 25 up front...21-23 in the back...plowing into a ditch, tree, or bank wouldn't be the best to do...set it up for oversteer on that bitch... :lol:

Chris C wrote:
Exhaust
The rules insist on a cat. So we have to cut out the magniflo and install a cat. Does he keep the side pipe or go out the back. Do you guys think the cat will be quite enough or is he going to need another muffler. Does anyone sell a 3" over the axle cat back system???

exhaust...do it custom...downpipe, cat, the do a rear exit with or without muffler (check his regulations, if he has to do the "must be below 86db at 4000 rpm, measured 50 feet to the side of the vehicle"...thus one reason for a rear exit, as you wont pass this with a side exit exhaust, the other being getting misc. things stuck into the exhaust pipe while going sideways a bit...

Chris C wrote:
Any suggestions for seats, harnesses and role cages???????

pretty basic...6 plus anchorage points, make a harness bar, 5-6 point harness min 3 inch wide belt...faom padded all that shiz

by NO MEANS am i a rally champion or even driver (yet) but this is what i perceive to be good things....maybe Ian G can chime in...with his rally experience he would have some great ideas i assume!

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice post Vza! how enormously well thought out! :) These are all things I'll note down for my volvo as well, as I am considering rallying it :D

- Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:13 pm 

another thing i forgot was get a rear LSD diff (if there isn't one in there) so you CAN actually rally in some events (some require at least two wheels to be driven)

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:16 pm 

RaZ wrote:
http://www.norsk-rally.com/video/sigdal2006.wmv

lots of 240s rallying.

Oh man....that video is soooooo sweet!!!!
VS

Post subject: Roll Cages
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:35 am 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Chris has told me that this is THE places to get info, so for a Newbie like me I appreciate all the help!

I am looking for a Roll Cage - any suggestions on who to contact??

Does anyone know if a roll cage makes a car NOT street legal - do i need to tow the car to races???

Thanx

hp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:40 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

I'm with Raz, nice post vza.
The car alread has an A cam and an adjustable cam gear in it. As well it has an electric fan, a new style intake manifold the head has been completely rebuilt.
My thought is that the next things are boost adjustment and an A/F meter.
So we can come as close a possible to blowing the engine but don't!

I think we are definitely going wth the bil's. These springs you speak of are they overload springs, will they raise the car at all, and where is the best place to find them. I'm thinking maybe just getting stock volvo overloads.

I can't say I agree with keeping a 21or 23mm in the back. I say the stiffer the better. It all depends on driving style but I don't think you have worry too much about vo's understeering too much. I don't think you can put too much bracing 240's or any car for that matter.

We are putting together a couple of orders in the next week for IPD and Eurosport is anyone interested in a group buy. Anyone??Anyone????
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:43 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

The vid. kicked ass.
Rally racing is insane. I'm personally more into ashpalt.
ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:23 pm 

here some good rally videos with various 200, 700, and 900's in them...someother cars as well

http://www.motorsport4sale.com/sv_filmklipp.asp

these videos are great imo...really amateur but when these guys go off they go off!!! maybe Raz can translate some stuff :?

ciao

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]