Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 25   [ 363 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: New Toy! (220 content, pics)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 pm 
Whost Pore

Basically a darn solid car, unlike anything else i've got recently.

small hole/soft spot on the passenger inner wing, floors are ROCK solid,

passenger rocker is pretty well gone in the last 1' or so before the wheel arch along with the wheel arch.

one small hole in the drivers fender at the top corner (about the size of a credit card with a patch probably)

and then the rear bumper mounting points are pretty thin and will need to be re-done (the square frame rail type stuff at the back)

brakes seem to be shot as well.

other than that, 181k miles, b18, VERY clean interior, nice patina to it too.

The current plan, fix the rust, adjust the valves, fix the brakes, undercoat and drive it whilst i save up for paint as a summer cruiser.

Post subject: Re: New Toy! (220 content, pics)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I saw this on TB today and was stoked. Great find. Hey, keep it for a couple of years and sell it to me :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:35 pm 
Whost Pore

Possibly, if i don't fall in love with it!

It'll hold me over until i can dedicate some serious work towards the PV again, the engine is so close to mounted in that thing it's not even funny!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Looks great, I love the patina! :mrgreen: Seems like a fun project.

Any interior shots?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 pm 
Whost Pore

Not yet, but man is it ever mint! ONE tear in the corner of the drivers seat and a little bit of fading on the back seats, this car was under a cover for the last 15 years or so and was only uncovered last summer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 pm 
Whost Pore

purchased a larger, 244 CU. FT. tank of mix-mix today (75% argon, 25% CO2).... 451$ including tank purchase :S

got some nice 2k primer on sale too, gallon kit for ~~140$ HOK stuff.

and then a tube of icing for when i get through the little imperfections for around 30$...

darn this is gonna get $$$$ fast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:45 pm 
Whost Pore

Picked up some mustang GT rims...

"Artist"'s Rendering...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:37 pm 

The two-tone is sweet. The Amazons definitely have the curves for it. 8)

I'm not so sure about the wheels though, but it's just a mock-up. Some nice dished steels painted blue, with chrome hub caps and white-walls would be right up my steet! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:41 pm 
Whost Pore

they're outta scale, and 17" 245/45's should fit well.... hopefully...

i think it'll actually be able to pull it off on all accounts, but will only know that when i get everything bolted up.

the reason for them is they're cheap, will work well, and probably not look like total ass providing they fit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:36 pm 
Whost Pore

Got the car home today, wheels come home tomorrow... BUT, i realized that this nice weather isn't gonna kick around forever so that leaves me with a dillemma.... how do i go about restoring the amazon.....

right now, i'm considering pulling it apart piece by piece, bringing them into the shop, treating the rust, welding the patches and restoring each panel more or less to mint, using the epoxy/urethane 2k primer and then putting them back on and truck-bed liner-ing the backsides.

Does anyone see an issue with this if i do it carefully and in a good order?

I'm probably going to pull the front clip off to see what i'm dealing with tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:56 pm 

My 2-cents?

If you want to get either car done (the 544 or the 122) only work on 1. Unless you have VERY deep pockets they will nickel and dime you to the poor house. Even one gets ridiculously expensive and consumes a lot of time. Before you pull the wagon apart and THEN realize you can't afford it or don't have the time, take some time to seriously think about what you have on your plate and what your timelines are. Ending up with one car in a million pieces is bad enough. I can't imagine having 2. Trying to move (sell) a car in a million pieces is way more difficult than is a whole car and it would be a shame to send that wagon to the scrap heap because you lost interest after you got it pulled apart.

And before anyone jumps on me for being hypocritical here (since I'm restoring the 122 and the 123GT is waiting), the 123 will be going elsewhere. I recognize the 122 will take me way longer (and cost way more) to complete than I first imagined. By the time I'm done that I doubt I'll want to jump back in to another restoration nor will I be able to afford it...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:24 pm 
Whost Pore

the PV is on hold right now while i track down parts, The amazon looks to be able to pull it apart and work on it a piece at a time for the time being until i have to make that decision.

Straight panels in a good primer and with a good backing will help preserve the car for the time being.

Since my performance plans for the car stretch about as far as throwing in the nice b20b i've got kicking around, and just general freshening up, i'd like to have the thing in nice shape and able to cruise for the spring.

since the winter precludes me from working heavily on the PV (not too much fun tearing apart massive systems at junkyards in the cold), i could really get a move on the wagon piece by piece, take my 10-15 hours a week i can dedicate to it and get something done.

I do see your point, i've got about 8k in the bank dedicated for car projects right now (that is, after all my insurance/school/housing/food/fuel/beer/partying costs have been deducted) thanks to scholarship money. Not enough to finish either car right now, but enough to get a serious move on them and hopefully get something ready to hit up the streets.

At this point i've got the tools and equipment necessary to undergo work like this (large air compressor, adequate welder/shielding gas supply, etc) and have the cash to farm out the work i can't do (braking/forming large bits of sheet)

My plan of attack so far is:

De-rust and solidify the body, starting at the front and working my way back finishing in a good 2k primer the whole way.
Fix the brakes. (Consider swapping in a disc brake axle)
Clean up/refurb suspension bits (Aiming for March 2010)
Tidy up any electrical issues it may have
Clean up/refurb the interior (which is already in VERY good shape)
Drive it for a while, see how it is, what needs to be done. (July 2010)
Paint it somewhere in this time too.

Then have a nice cruiser that can be parked, driven, sold, whatever, but will stay in good shape for a LONG time.

By this time i should have acquired most of the PV parts and been able to get a good move on that.

The Amazon will never be torn apart to a point it cannot roll for more than a week or two at a time, and the parts will go on almost as quickly as the come off.

Comments?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:09 pm 
Whost Pore

Pulled off the passenger side fender today..

Brief list of parts that need repair/touch up

Bottom of A Pillar (galvanized stuff is still in great shape though)
Wing supports/mounts and a small bit on the cowl piece
Headlight Buckets
Non-visible part of the nose section is rusted through on the bottom and will have to be fixed.

Fender itself is pretty good, needs some treatment around the trim holes and some paint.

Anyone got any tips/tricks for getting the darn undercoating off?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:16 am 

rockmonton wrote:
Anyone got any tips/tricks for getting the darn undercoating off?

Just put a new (well, straight rust free) floor in my cop car. There IS NO FUN WAY TO REMOVE THAT ISH! I use gas, kerosene or some such deadlyness and a wire brush to scrape as much of the big crap off and catch all the crud that falls off the car in a big metal tray. Then wire wheel and more scrubbing with brushes, sopping rags and whatever horrible things at your disposal in your well ventilated evil laboratory/chamber of horrors.

The fun way? Acid dip the car. Done. Everything that isn't metal and all moving parts must come off the car for this. The good news is that all that red "rust" sh!t and goopy undercoating sh1t goes away.

I'd just not tear into it much and goop it all with a bunch of rust gel and por-15 and drive it and see if you like it. I would never fix up an old car unless I really liked it. It is a ton of work, and volvos aren't worth a lot...you have to really like the car. I think a lot of people tear into a car without living with it for a bit, and many lose interest and lose a whole lot else besides. For a select few that possess the skills and really want to reinvent everything no matter what they start with and have a vision for the end no matter what, this can work (if they have the resources necessary). Even those people are often picky, whether originality is important or inventing a contraption completely unique to them is what they like. For most mere mortals like myself, I have to build the car and sample what I like and don't like (and I'm picky on a lot of little stuff) and live with it ugly and imperfect and would then have to build the car again and start over (take it completely apart) (like acid dip for instance) and make it all pretty once I was satisfied and had a picture in my head.

Then again, I am guilty of many times not leaving well enough alone...I spent a day on the driver door of the cop car redoing window regulator, new door handle, adjustment, rebuild existing lock, replace glass with good glass, NOS door card, new door pockets, adjust and fuss with speaker and fit to OEM grille tightly without hitting the window glass, fuss over vapor barrier/sound deadening etc. I was also going rather fast and had an original paint rust free door and was mostly replacing parts with new, nearly new (found in the wrecking yard) cleaned/brightened parts etc.

No actual major refurb was going on...for me to do a car where I wasn't mostly plugging and playing would be some measurement years to remote completion. Sometimes living with an imperfect car and tinkering on it is more fun anyway. I only fixed the floor because I LIKED the car..it was fast, semi beateriffic, and got me around without a single issue for a year (after going through it mechanically for a few days and making small adjustments), and it is a kind of cool wacky car to drive around....not bad for a car you are under $1500 all into. I wanted to pass that onto a person I care about as I get out of cars for a while. Cars come and go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:14 am 

Someone should sticky James's last post - best advice I've read in a while.

My advice - leave the goo where it is. What is the point of taking it off? Undercoating is undercoating - are you going to drive around with mirrors and show people the underside of your car? Nope - well, repair as necessary and drive it. When you have to fix panels, I've foudn that scrapiing it off the surrounded area is easy with a heat gun and a putty knife followed by carb cleaner. You only need to take a few inches off either side of the weld area.

There shouldn't be any under hood or anywhere else you don't want it. If you notice it flaking away, then scrape, repair rust, replace.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 25   [ 363 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next