Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 25   [ 363 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Toy! (220 content, pics)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 pm 
Whost Pore

It's bad, because the more I work, the more i realize needs to be done, and then i end up getting suckered into doing just enough to pass school.

But the goal for this weekend is to acquire a transmission tunnel and patch the passenger side floor, and hopefully trim the tunnel up to fit.

Also have my rear suspension finally worked out, looks like i'll be building my upper bars for a lot of AS off the line (~~80% with a range of 70-90% at plus or minus 3" on my assumption of a 19" COG and 2800lbs finished weight) and a little bit at full droop and full bump. while maintaining a pinion angle of around 3º plus or minus 1.56º, conveniently what fits with the transmission/engine well.

helped the neighbor pull a motor from a contour today, those things are kind of nasty too, but i'll get my hoist back soon.

Once i get the body at the front all welded up, the instant it gets warm enough to paint i'm going to have the engine out, wash the bay down and lay down some epoxy, some black base and have a go to see what my paint is going to look like, hopefully.

So, keep your fingers crossed we get some days in the 18-20 degree range before the end of april!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:26 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

With that much anti-squat, you run the risk of axle hop under braking. You might need to limit the amount of rear brake you use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 am 

How did you get to that finished weight? Are the wagons that much heavier? What about distribution?

Speaking as a professor for just a sec - classes passed with effort are a lot less burden to carry around than a half done car. Try to put the effort into your classes - you don't need limitations later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 pm 

Wikipedia says that the 122 (generic) is 2400 lbs curb weight. Somebody's gotta drive it, and with the added weight of the big rear axle he's got in there, big tires & brakes, plus the turbo & intercooler & all that stuff, I can see the car weighing an extra 400 lbs rolling down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:21 pm 
Whost Pore

yeah, and that was dropped after i dropped 100lbs.

But, i'll pass classes, so now it'll be just the logistics of lugging around a 30% finished car.

I will be able to change the AS values with my bracketry down to the 20% range (There's a surprising amount of room back there!) I'll have a look at how the values change between suspension droop/heavy braking and bump. The good thing is there will be enough adjustment in brackets attached to the frame to change things considerably, and to weld new tabs on the axle housing isn't too severe of a task.

The good news is my lightened flywheel is back from the machine shop (Turned down the outer edge, had it balanced and surfaced) and i have the Spec PP from Jordan's car, just gotta find a clutch and the right o-ring for the T5 bushing.

with the axle ratio and everything else considered, top speed will be ~~140mph at 6500 in 5th gear, that's fun stuff, though i doubt it'll ever get that high.

I'm still waiting for a sale on bath scales, or someone i know to buy some corner scales so i can figure out my weight distro, but i might go work something out using planks as levers and such if i get desperate. I still have to place things like the battery, fire extinguisher, etc.

Also, all the little things add up, the bracketry for the alternator, the turbo, the extra radiator capacity, the intercooler, that honking axle (Next time it'll be a ford 7.5 or something like a crown vic 8.8 or similar shortened up)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm 
Whost Pore

haven't figured out my suspension geometry again yet, but....

it'll be touch-and-go to see if i have enough belt angle on the waterpump :S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:46 am 

You won't. Run one belt to the water pump (will need an idler) and a belt from the WP to the alt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:21 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hello Eric/Erik.

I flew over Esterhazy Monday - I think. How big is the mine?

Yesterday and today I've been out on the Volvo, and I've got the seatbelts in! in the end I used the retractables out of the 80's Volvo, and will leave the cover part to the upholstery people.

I just thought I'd let you know that it fit, and works well, even though I had to twist the belt barrel 180 degrees to mount it. Also, I had to bend the bracket the barrel is mounted on, as the bottom of the pillar has a slight curve to it, then elongate the hole. Oh, and there is an alignment tab above the hole, and I had to drill/file a slot for that in the pillar too. The receivers I think I already mentioned are cable-mounted, and they fit verry well on the tunnel, using the existing holes for the mid-drive-shaft bracket (made slightly larger to take a more substantial h.t. bolt).

I'm not going to admit how long it took me to get the first one in correctly, but the second one took less than an hour!

I am pretty-sure there is some rule about mucking-about with seat-belt hardware, but as for passing an inspection, but I think it will look good and work well-enough when the car is all finished to pass. Nobody has to know I bent that bracket a smidge. As far as whether it IS safe, I'm confident everything is still good and strong. I took some pics, and will upload when I get a chance. the glass guys are coming-over right-away to install all of the glass.

J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm 
Whost Pore

Haha, the mine itself is HUGE. as in tens of miles huge, but over-top all you can see is a couple of giant salt/clay piles and some buildings and the headframes.

Nice to hear about the seatbelts, i still haven't made it to the junkyard, but i'm going to be looking this weekend when i try to get a tranny tunnel out of a foxbody in the mud.

Spent the entire day welding today as part of one of the mining classes, learned how to stick weld, and it's amazing how quickly it can be picked up. Having someone there to give pointers and advice right there in person really helped, it was put on through arctec, and i came home with a few boxes of tig filler for a good price on the university account :D But out mig welding a seat bracket up tonight the effect of the instruction was definitely noticeable. Also got to play with a nice inverter tig there, bloody hell i don't know what i'm doing with the scratch-start airco, it's not even the same type of beast... I know what i want to buy in the future.

And best of all, got to try about 15 different products they had, everything from the standard rods through the low hydrogen, tried some stainless and cast iron welding, chrome and tungsten hardfacing, some low-penetration high elongation alloys for welding on cylinders, all the mining stuff. It was super cool.

As far as the amazon,

Seat brackets are 25% done for the car, I need to figure out what car to pull an idler from now. Planning on the tranny tunnel and passenger floor to be finished by the end of this weekend unless i fix the valve cover gasket on the 960.

Gotta shim the front of the transmission for the t5 and put the shifter/cup on, and i've gotta pick up an order of tubing/such to be able to build the rear links for the 8.8. Finished setting up a notching jig on the mill tonight as well.

I'm not sure on a manifold yet, i haven't been able to make up my mind whether to machine and braze injector bungs into a carb'd or b21 manifold (It will fit now with the pedals moved) or to make something custom out of mild or stainless.

Last major components are the steering mods (Waiting on a 4 jaw since the repeatability on the 3 jaw is terrible on the minilathe), tranny tunnel, rear suspension, passenger floor,the passenger seat rails and the driver's rear seat rails, and the tranny crossmember.

Then get some primer on it and paint the engine bay/interior. Everything past that is wiring and plumbing and fiddly stuff that can be done without major tools and space.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 pm 
Whost Pore

came into a little bit of cash, ordered the clutch (centerforce), steering u joints, rear u joint, steering shafts and a support bearing and a few other goodies as well as a new weldcraft torch and some consumables.

should all be here next week :D

edit/

lined up the drivers seat/such today with the steering column and a spare dash piece.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm 
Whost Pore

spent today pulling the dash on a 97 v6 mustang with a t5, ran out of saw blade to cut where i wanted, so i've gotta go back monday. I will have a transmission tunnel!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:55 pm 
Whost Pore

got some rad mounts done and turned some eyes for my upper links on the rear suspension (not shown)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:30 pm 
Whost Pore

figured out an idler setup.

need to finish welding it and get some bolts.

back to the j/y tomorrow to cut out the rest of that tranny tunnel!

also, in the evening if i get some time i'll build at least one of the upper links .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:46 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

=D> =D>

Carry-ON!

I am amazed at what you are doing, but I guess it is all relative. People think I'm handy, but I know I'd never attempt such craziness as I see you tinkering with all the time - happy as a clam ( or maybe a gnome ).

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm 
Whost Pore

gah! The universe must hate me today or something.

the tunnel i was cutting out in the car got crushed when i took off for lunch....

ah well, made one of the rear links for the suspension and finished welding/gusseting the tensioner bracket.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 25   [ 363 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next