Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Mechanical Fuel Pump (122)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi. Is it possible to put-in the fuel-pump incorrectly? I had the pump off when I sandblasted underneath, and when I put it back on, I just slid the arm in and bolted it on (I know I have successfully replaced them before, but I don't have a good memory for such things...). Lo-and-behold, now I have no fuel. I took the pump off, and there are no marks on it as if the arm was mis-placed, but when trying to start it there was a sound like something hitting somewheres where it shouldn't. It pumps off the car. I put some more gas in it. The fuel line is not pinched anywhere. The fuel filter is not plugged. It's gonna be damn-awkward putting that pump back in again, so I'd like to do it right the second time!

Meanwhile, I'm off to get some gasket-paper. Are paper gaskets Ok on both sided of the insulator?? There was a rubber on the outside previously....

This car is 99.5% finished. Once I get it started, I just have to test the overdrive, install the radio and put on the hood, glass, have an inspection, then it goes in for a final cut and polish, then the trip to the upholstry-shop. Well, we'll-see. Insert test-drive and whatever that entails.... Anyway, the car just makes me happy looking at it now - she's practically done!!

All the best.

Post subject: Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump (122)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:37 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Paper is fine on both sides of the insulator AFAIK and just make sure that you have the arm angled down when installing the pump - should work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:46 pm 

Thank-you Craig!!

I imagine you know how awkward it iz.

J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:10 pm 

Hi - well, it wasn't that awkward now that I have all the right tools out (but I do have my distributor mounted on the inner-fender). Unfortunately, it didn't work, either. Seems hard to put it in WRONG, but something is w.....

I hate to crank my motor over any more, but I think I'll isolate the f-pump and try sucking-up some hydraulic oil, see if it squirts. Maybe the fuel-line is blocked, or something. Oh, the new fuel filter: one end has like a line on it - I guessed the line goes on the outlet (like a diode... :mrgreen: ), but my real guess is that it doesn't matter? (No such thing as a stupid question, right?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:31 am 

Its Art wrote:
(but I do have my distributor mounted on the inner-fender)

(No such thing as a stupid question, right?)

Well I'll ask a stupid question, then: Is your distributor cable driven or driven by some kind of synchronous servo motor system? A fender mounted distributor must be pretty expensive - I've never seen one! You balla.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:16 am 

At the risk of sounding silly - why not just blow a little air through the line. Is there fuel in the float bowl? Has everything else been eliminated? You can run SU's out of a pop bottle if you need to just fire the engine (gravity provides sufficient pressure to pop the needle valves).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 pm 

Hi - yes, that would be the COIL :mrgreen: mounted on the inner-fender (I have a make/break switch in the firewall - it sticks-out just above the gas-pedal, and is my 'security' against car-jacking... and electrical fires)

Craig - well I might just try the blow-test. That should confirm there is enough gas in there too. It occurs to me that even though I put 3 gallons of fuel in there, maybe...? The car was running previous to the sandblasting escapade. I'll keep you posted, but it looks like it might have to wait - I'm going to have to go watch people drill an oil-well as soon as tomorrow, so there is other stuff to take care-of in the meantime.

J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:41 am 
First volvo in outer space

Its Art wrote:
I'm going to have to go watch people drill an oil-well as soon as tomorrow

Are you bringing your rubber bit??

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:08 pm 

I get paid by the day - why-not? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:12 am 

I WIN! I took the fuel-line off last night, and was going to try-agin. Gas dribbled-out the intake, and a little out of the front. I had the fuel line going into a coke bottle, so I cranked it a few more times (put the lines back-on), and presto! Squirt-squirt! I must have been a few cranks away from getting gas the last-time. So I poured some of the gas onto the fuel-filters, hooked it all up, and she fired!! I'm getting some smoke from down-under, but that is probably from some of the undercoating that made it's way onto the header. I'll let it run awhile today with the garage-door open, and (sigh) move-on to the next challenge; interior-lights don't work. The original AM radio works, and is in.

I can't get the rear bumper to line-up: the brackets seem straight, but the bumper sits too-far to the left. All these bumpers are the same, aren't they? I tried shimming it over to the right, but then the side-braces don't fit. Maybe I'll have to borrow Thor's hammer...?

J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:12 am 

I WIN! I took the fuel-line off last night, and was going to try-agin. Gas dribbled-out the intake, and a little out of the front. I had the fuel line going into a coke bottle, so I cranked it a few more times (put the lines back-on), and presto! Squirt-squirt! I must have been a few cranks away from getting gas the last-time. So I poured some of the gas onto the fuel-filters, hooked it all up, and she fired!! I'm getting some smoke from down-under, but that is probably from some of the undercoating that made it's way onto the header. I'll let it run awhile today with the garage-door open, and (sigh) move-on to the next challenge; interior-lights don't work. The original AM radio works, and is in.

I can't get the rear bumper to line-up: the brackets seem straight, but the bumper sits too-far to the left. All these bumpers are the same, aren't they? I tried shimming it over to the right, but then the side-braces don't fit. Maybe I'll have to borrow Thor's hammer...?

J

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]