Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Darth is sick:(
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I suppose, though it doesn't really put a stamp on the procedure if I'm trying it on an engine running on borrowed time... If it failed, would we have blamed it on the Seafoam? If it didn't fail, do we say that it's a charmed, 200,000 mile B280F that will never die but slowly surround itself in crud?

I suppose when/if I pull the engine this winter, I can inspect the innards and see what damage, if any, was caused by the Seafoam... which might be difficult to separate from the previous 185,000 miles of normal life.

Or do we blame it on the GM Crankcase and GM Top End cleaners I used at the same time?

The leaks surely come from the fact that I switched to synthetic oil so late in life! :roll: Everyone knows synthetic oil is bad for your engine if you switch too late, or too early, or ever. Right?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am 
First volvo in outer space

ah haa!!! Synthetic oil...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:27 pm 
I can fix the world

I've read a lot about the whole synthetic oil thing early in the life and I know a lot of manufacturers recommend putting it in at 24k-ish but all the new volvos come with it from factory so I say pbbbbbbbbt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Ok, I'll jump into this can of worms. I was planning on putting synthetic into mine. The engine is rebuilt and broke-in, I had the head shaved, valves done, and intake ported after I bought it. What is the issue here?? (am I thread-jacking- again?)

J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 am 

Not my precious thread!!! :cry:

No worries :lol: From what i've read on the internets (which are ALWAYS right) best is to break in on dino then switch to synthetic.

Alot of people argue switching to synthetic on an old/dirty motor will loosen everything up too much (like all the crud holding old seals together) and cause more leaks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 pm 

Wellllll, now that the thread is derailing (a little :lol: ) my personal experience on 2 different vehicles with different circumstances is this:

1. 1999 Dodge Ram, 5.9l V8, bought new. Changed factory oil at 2000 km with dino, changed to synthetic at 5000 km and have run 0w30 synthetic ever since. Currently at ~273K km and neither burns/uses/leaks zero oil, I changed oil every 10K as I was doing almost all highway miles.

2. 1986 Volvo 740, b230f, bought new. Changed oil as per factory spec with dino till ~ 180k km and switched to 10w30 synthetic. Car ran fine with zero oil use, leaks etc. till ~ 470K km when it developed a RMS leak (damn synthetic :lol: ). Switched back to dino and followed the Auto-Rx procedure for oil leaks, leak stopped so I switched back to synthetic because I thought it was so much better than dino and leak started again. :evil: #-o Went back to dino and followed the ARX procedure AGAIN and sealed the leak. The car was fine to 484K km when it was retired last month with Fred Flintstone floorboards. :cry: A testament to redblocks that motor never had oil added to it except when it was leaking.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 pm 

WOW.....

You bought a Volvo brand new?
But seriously, almost 500,000km, on the ORIGINAL RMS? Changed the front seals as part of maintenance?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:44 pm 

Yup, and I hated the car when we first got it. First four door sedan I ever owned, felt like my Dad driving it. :oops: Nope, no other seals changed as part of the mtce., I know probably should have but the only leak it ever had was the RMS and I fixed that with ARX. Still had the original M46, AND the original clutch as well!!! It broke our hearts not to see 500K (or more) but the Volvo cancer got to it which is ironic b/c the body was rust free and still looked half decent, the floor boards and subframe not so much....

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:23 pm 

wow, that is SUPER impressive!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi - Well, that was a great story! I think I'll try synthetic then. I have a new RMS, not sure about the front; not sure how long since the block was rebuilt, but the bore was nearly purrfect.

(now, back to your regularly-scheduled thread :oops: )

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2