Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Darth is sick:(
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Posted over at tbricks from a thread I started trying to get to the bottom of my crankcase pressure/oil leakage, low-ish vacuum at idle and general lack of bottom end oomph.

So finally got around to doing compression and leak down. Now I'm sad.

1: 135psi 20%
2: 135psi 27%
3: 160psi <10%
4: 160psi <10%

so no point slappin on that bigger garrett, or upgrading the cam, or dropping in the NPR, or fitting an AW71L (though I may still do this, just for the economy). Forgot to go back and squirt oil to check the rings on 1 and 2, but whatever. At the bare minimum i need to pull the head and do a refresh, worst case a re-ring. Not going to happen this year now that i'm down to just the one car.

At least I know why my bottom end is somewhat lacking, and only pulling 16" vacuum, and the oil leakage/crankcase pressure is probably telling me it's the rings anyway.

Still using that motor Dale? #-o (Just kidding, mostly, the car runs fine, and will for another 100k i'm sure if I can keep the leakage under control)

Post subject: Re: Darth is sick:(
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:12 pm 

Yup...still using that engine but you can have my B230FT block to rebuild if you want. It's sitting beside the garage. You can grab the transmission at the same time if you want. I'm not going to use it. Decided to flush out the horrible burned black fluid out of my old one and see if it recovers. If not I may very well toss in an M47...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:00 am 

There's mine as well, though it needs valve springs and reassembly. I may or may not have plans for it otherwise, but if it goes bye-bye before I have a chance to get to those plans, it forces my hand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 am 

if it doesn't burn/use any oil (except what it leaks) is that still rings? is it possible the rings are sticky or something? This was a low mileage car when i bought it, I suspect it sat alot and did short trips.

If it was the HG between 1 and 2 the leakage would be alot worse and probably wouldn't cause the extra crank pressure. Same if it was just valves not seating properly, plus i think it would run alot rougher.

Never know until it's taken apart of course, but I'd hate to just ditch what could be a perfectly good squirter block, but I'm really struggling with putting a WHOLE lot of work into the car. The paint needs alot of work, lots of rock dings and general usage. Jade would love to get something new, but a new car is not an option right now and really theres nothing WRONG with this car (once i fix the a/c).

Dale I bet that tranny works alot better with fresh fluid. If not changing it isn't that bad even with the motor in the car.

Matt, I'll keep that in mind, though nothing will be happening this year.

I'm just so frustrated/disappointed :( . This motor SHOULD just be broken in, and instead it's broken. ITs not even broken that bad, it hasn't at all changed since I bought it 6 years ago so there's no real incentive to start pulling it apart.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:02 pm 

Sorry to hear this Athal. Hope you can figure out a way to keep her going.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:11 am 

Put half a can of seafoam in the crankcase, see if that loosens up some rings. It's GOTTA be something like stuck rings- anyone heard of even cylinder wear on 1 and 2 only?
Chambers looked quite clean through the borescope, so i don't think it's build up in the chambers/valves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 am 

Well that thing's always run funny, hasn't it? I mean, electronically it's been fine, but any time you try to up the boost you get pinging. May be related...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:00 pm 
First volvo in outer space

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
Put half a can of seafoam in the crankcase, see if that loosens up some rings. It's GOTTA be something like stuck rings- anyone heard of even cylinder wear on 1 and 2 only?
Chambers looked quite clean through the borescope, so i don't think it's build up in the chambers/valves.

From everything I have read Seafoam (or any other high aromatic solvent) in the crankcase isn't such a great idea due to dissolving/releasing too much crud too fast. I have had good success with Auto-Rx http://auto-rx.com/, I like the idea that it stays in so long and works slowly. I have no idea if it would make a difference for you but the use of Seafoam in the crankcase never gets a positive response on TB (which may or may not mean much but there it is), good luck with your problem hope Darth is feeling better soon.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 pm 

I've used Seafoam in the crankcase and the amount of gunk it releases is impressive. Too much gunk too fast? Whatever. This is why I don't go to Tbrix anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
I've used Seafoam in the crankcase and the amount of gunk it releases is impressive. Too much gunk too fast? Whatever. This is why I don't go to Tbrix anymore.

Guess I shouldn't have mentioned tbrix as I realize you have issues with what's said over there. I googled "seafoam vs auto-rx" and found the same sentiment as I posted earlier. Could be it's internet myth not exclusive to tbrix and I'll just leave it as that as I can't scientifically back it up. If you've used Seafoam in the crankcase with good success that works for me. :)

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:33 pm 

Ya it always seemed to lack bottom end, and when we put it on the dyno the graph was really noisy and power delivery not smooth. We always assumed it was a spark issue, but now it makes more sense. Alternating cylinders with 25psi (unboosted!) pressure difference doesn't make for smooth power.

Seeing as I've been running Mobil 1 basically since I've owned the car, I'm not too worried about releasing too much gunk too fast. The oil is always pretty dirty, but I think thats more from the blowby and what seems to be slightly high running temp. The motor *should* be pretty clean overall.

I'm thinking/hoping sticky rings from the original owner, who was likely grandmotherish and did short trips and let the car sit for long periods. Course if they haven't loosened up by now...

I'll let the seafoam sit a few miles, then retest compression (with oil this time to confirm rings or not), then the autox/seafoam/snakeoil direct into cylinders treatment before giving up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:06 pm 

Wasn't picking on you, Jim - I should have kept my mouth shut. There are two vocal camps over there: the "I'll ratchet strap that damn engine in place and run a 400 shot of nitrous" camp, and the "oh my god you can't do that the transmission will blow up at 250.75 horsepower" camp. They both piss me off. Of course, there are thousands of reasonable people in between who go unheard and unnoticed...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Wasn't picking on you, Jim - I should have kept my mouth shut. There are two vocal camps over there: the "I'll ratchet strap that damn engine in place and run a 400 shot of nitrous" camp, and the "oh my god you can't do that the transmission will blow up at 250.75 horsepower" camp. They both piss me off. Of course, there are thousands of reasonable people in between who go unheard and unnoticed...

No worries Matt, I know where you're coming from. I'm glad you did say something as the no Seafoam in the crankcase mantra is on every car board out there, knowing you have had good results is good information by me. :D

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 am 

Well I had good results on a junk engine, does that count?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:44 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Well I had good results on a junk engine, does that count?

Probably the best test of the theory seeing as how there would be lots of junk being loosened up all at once?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next