Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: B20 Engine Rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:45 pm 
Cams + Headers

Thanks Craig. Yeah, I found out about the brittleness when I was removing them from the original pistons. I'm waiting for a ring expander to be sent to the local Gilberts Parts store (neither the Lordco or the Napa could find one in the cataloques). I've got an 8" mill bastard if I need to adjust and a diamond hone to break any bead. With luck the rings will be in tolerances and I won't have to gap. I've got a set of Deves rings as backup in case I screw up, assuming you can mix and match rings in an engine if not on a piston. Thanks.
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:45 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I wouldn't mix and match the rings...if I broke one, I'd use the Deves rings on that piston. It shouldn't make a difference, and you won't break them with the expander.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:24 pm 
Cams + Headers

Well the local Gilbert's didn't come through. JET shows 2 in the warehouse but they can't find them. So embolden by my Deves backups I carefully removed the Mahle rings from the pistons and checked them. All were within specs, but at the higher end, which I expected because the bores had been used and honed. Rings are all back on and pistons installed. It all went very easier than I expected. No mental trauma, except the torque specs called for ~40 pd/ft. This seemed rather light to my motor naive brain, i.e. not much pull on the torque wrench to achieve. Next on to cam install. I need some help on "degreeing in" a cam. I thought that this was fixed i.e. by setting piston 1 to TDC and attaching the crankshaft cam gear fixed on the crank Woodruff key. This sets the position of the mark on the crank cam gear. Then without moving the crank, set the camshaft cam gear onto cam with the mark located by the key on the camshaft and the slot on the cam gear. Install the cam so the two marks (cam and crank) line up. From what i've been reading there seems to be more to it than this. I hope this is the simple explanation. Will this work? Thanks again.
Bill

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2