Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Probably simple antenna question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Howdy,

I was putting my bike away and I busted off the antenna on my 'nice' 122. The part that broke off is a plastic cylinder that was part of the base, where the actual antenna would screw in. So now there is nothing for the antenna to screw into.

How are these things set up? The wire runs through the engine compartment and into the fender, then up through a hole in the fender. Threading that wire seems like a pain. Do I have to take the fender off to replace that base part? I don't see how I can cut that wire and attach a new base because the wire isn't long enough. If I let it dangle down it reaches to about 6 inches above where I can stick my hand coming up from the floor. I can touch it, but that's about it.

I googled and checked my Haynes manual but I can't see anything there.

Much thanks,
Dustin

Post subject: Re: Probably simple antenna question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Oh, and if you do a google image search for "Volvo 122 antenna install" one of the pictures you get is this:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:44 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

You've got to replace the entire antenna...it's as you've described and not that bad to replace.

Stedenko wrote:
Howdy,

I was putting my bike away and I busted off the antenna on my 'nice' 122. The part that broke off is a plastic cylinder that was part of the base, where the actual antenna would screw in. So now there is nothing for the antenna to screw into.

How are these things set up? The wire runs through the engine compartment and into the fender, then up through a hole in the fender. Threading that wire seems like a pain. Do I have to take the fender off to replace that base part? I don't see how I can cut that wire and attach a new base because the wire isn't long enough. If I let it dangle down it reaches to about 6 inches above where I can stick my hand coming up from the floor. I can touch it, but that's about it.

I googled and checked my Haynes manual but I can't see anything there.

Much thanks,
Dustin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:49 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

"...not that bad to replace."

Translation? MacGiver could do it in five minutes. For us, anywhere from that to 2-days. I recall some kind of straange clamp that holds it in from below, but I did get it without taking the fender off. As I recall, fingers with little suction-cups on them would have been very helpful.

Don't mind me, I've been up all night :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:43 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

No, that's helpful. I haven't tried to do it yet because it doesn't look fun and I've got another 122 with way bigger and more interesting problems.

I was thinking of attaching a wire to the old antenna as I pull it out, and then using that to feed the new antenna though the holes.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]