Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Just Purchased..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:51 pm 
Bone stock

Hello Everyone

As of Today I am the very proud owner of a 1975 Volvo 245 DL "yikes green" Wagon w/ a 2.1 Manual slapper. It has 156000+ Miles on it, heater makes noise.. back end sits kinda lower then it should. etc and it should. It's older then I am.

Anyways. I just wanted to say hello, I will be looking through the forum extensively the next few days trying to catch up to everything Volvo there is to know.

My mechanical aptitude is I can do pretty much everything (within reason, I'm no walking machine shop). Not a corner cutter. I like things cool,tidy,smart and functional.

Outside of quick and acceptable(albiet, replace the missing chrome strip from the psgr rear door is 1st priority AND a good wash/scrub down with a de-oxidizer and a bang wax) I don't want to screw with the car untill I have a good feel for what I am doing.

This isn't a car, its a new member of the family I think.

I saw a post on the 'PerTronix Breakerless Ign' Sounds like thats a weekend project to help me get acquainted.

Anyways, no news on that Ign, is good news.
whee-hoo....Its like x-mas.

L8r.

Post subject: Re: Just Purchased..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Welcome to CVC, we are getting quite the collection of 245's here, is this the car from Forest Lawn? Looking forward to some shiny pics once you get it cleaned up. :D

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 pm 
Bone stock

Yes.. yes it is....Jim. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:17 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

It's a '76 if it's that light green one in the Lawn that I had a look at for Greg. ('75s came with a 2 litre pushrod, not the 2.1 OHC.)

If it's the '76, get yourself a breakerless ignition from a later K-jet car, the Pertronix thing is mainly for the B18/B20 (pushrod) guys. There's a '78 at PNP that should have one. 'Ang on a minute... does the '76 even come with points?

Welcome! Make your avatar a wee bit smaller though, would ya? [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:48 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

76 should be k-jet FI with breakerless. 77-84 you guys got those horrible carbs/points ignition/lovely source of a-cams scrap heaps.

Put a B23E in it to make it go worth a darn, or just fix it up decently since it probably needs a ton even if not rusty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am 

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z229627599

For the same price I woulda bought that one in a second. Just showed up on Kijiji though so it's not like you had the choice.

Sounds like you've got some good plans for the car. Nice to see an old classic wagon get rescued...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:12 am 
First volvo in outer space

Pylon wrote:
Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z229627599

For the same price I woulda bought that one in a second. Just showed up on Kijiji though so it's not like you had the choice.

Sounds like you've got some good plans for the car. Nice to see an old classic wagon get rescued...

That car appears to be the twin to the Valdez but with a stick and another 130K km for $100 less. :wink: I agree someone should grab that one, a red over black leather 745Ti and with a stick is pretty rare.

This ad also just popped up that might be a sleeper as the person lists it as a hatchback with FWD when the title says "Volvo Turbo - 1985". #-o I'm thinking it's an 85 245Ti with a stick, wish they would get some pics up. :evil:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z229164899

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 pm 
Bone stock

Ahh trusty photoshop, for the last 11 years. It is just awesome for vis.

Anyone have any image goofing they want to see, lemme know. 3/4 profiles are difficult but not impossible, Side and front renderings usually take 15 mins or less. Color, rims, stance.. etc. Dont ask me to tint windows.. I don't do windows.

Anyways..I introduce the De-Lux..put the 'fun' in funeral.

1: My original gorgeous green man car like no other.
2: Mod with Wire wheels and a body tweak (stance will be figured out, spring length, strut length, sway bar locations.. bolt patterns, disk break swap on the rear or all four, depending, clearance issues considered but no definiteness yet, still researching.)
3: BMW rims.. 16's I figure. Matte aluminum. Wire, like #2 still. Gotta certian fla1r to it.
4: Out to lunch grocery edition. Tubbed and leg pipes (under door seam too) Had fun with this one. Little Green Baddy. NO IDEA what the engine would be. BUT..I am open to suggestions.

Oh and I plan to leave it as green as it is. Cause its...whats the word...party like its 1976...Yeah.

Hat-cha.. L8r.

fixed it for ya :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:23 am 

Thanks!

FYI, you already have disc brakes on all four. 240s (everything from 140s on up, actually) came with nothing else.

That green is a cool colour, I actually repainted a '76 in that colour for a friend once. I'd keep it that colour too 'cause it is, like, 1976.

#3 is the obvious choice, but I'm diggin' on #2. #4 is absurd and is automatically a good idea, but to get there you'd lose so much Volvo that you could have started out with anything at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:12 pm 
Whost Pore

haha, i think i saw this for sale!

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:17 am 

Alex:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2173

You saw it here, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:46 am 

My vote would be for #3. A couple of things that I don't think were mentioned. First up - the sagging rear end is most likely caused by disintegrated rear control arm bushings. They are a pain to replace, and there are several different methods of doing so. Poly is a very good option, but the stock replacements are also fine.

Get familiar with FCP and IPD for other accessories. I've got a set of the lowering springs that FCP sells (they go on sale and there are coupon codes to give more savings) to get the stance fixed. The rest of the car can pretty much be replaced as needed with better bits from later cars found at the JY. For example, I picked up a brand spankig new aluminum rad at the Calgary PYP one day for $34. Keep an eye out our create a list and post it of all the things you need. Those of us that have 240's have hords of parts that we "stock" just in case.

I was able to put together a basic "stage 0" kit with help from Dale and my local speed shop (plugs, wires, cap/rotor, belts, hoses, gaskets, fuel injector seals, fluid flush and the list goes on). It will cost half the purchase price of the car, but it is best to start there rather than have all of us wagging fingers at you when this stuff goes wrong.

By the way, lots of info in my 242 build thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1642)

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:37 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

nice buy i was eyeing this sucker up altho i needed something in edmonton on a specific day but good purchase

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm 
Bone stock

Hey Craig, thanks for all the advice and whatnot, all of you are awesome....That list will be a good starting place as I would like to give the engine some lovin right off the hollar....plugs, wires, minor distributer upgrade, new coil etc.

Electronics: I wish to free up some of the engine from typical parasitic drag from devices and otherwise mechanical things that can be replaced with now electronic counterparts. I have discovered that a majority of the functions already (surprised so much by Volvo for 1976..so advanced for its day..unreal) run on hella type 5 pin relays. But a updated fuse panel, with adequate engine grounding straps IGN upgrade and a vehicle alarm system would put it all safe in my mind. If I decide to put a stereo in, It will be small, powerful, and hidden out of sight. But considering entertainment options this early in the game is getting ahead of myself.

I am wondering if I can find all these parts if I just look for late model 240 parts and scrap all of that from it.

Personally I am looking at #3 as an exterior look though #2 is a very close second. (something about wire wheels)....the word 'superb' comes to mind. The Bimmer wheels are a very viable option, as they jive nicely with the proposed stance.

Hands down, I assessed the car best I could the other night, and made my neighbors eyebrows go up I am sure as I sat across the street on the curb for about a 1/2 hour looking at it. For this winter, I would like to fix the blower motor on the car, fix the rear end best i can so the car is level and doesn't wobble around so much. Cap and rotor, and wires. Relocate the Coil closer to the distributer. Weld the inner fenders right at the bolt point for the hood hinge to keep it from creating more havoc. Put the dash all back together and over the winter I will source and purchase the hard parts (lowering springs, gas struts, vented discs, new rack, poly bushings, wheel bearings, wheels, tires, interior,) and get ready for spring of 11. Where I will get a shop for a couple of weekends and bang this stuff out.

Oh and.. I just discovered today that I am minus a gas cap. CDn Tire I assume sells replacements? JY? maybe? I will take some detail pictures as soon as I get my camera figured out, apparently it has forgotten that its a camera, and thinks its an MP3 player.. love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:13 am 

Your list of hard vs easy was pretty funny...the heater is hard, the lowering springs are easy (to find and install) - Volvo's are weird that way. You'd think performance parts are hard to find, when in fact they are easy and things that you'd think are easy to find (like your side trim) are difficult. We've all done this at least once and can guide you through the entire process.

Everyone raise your hand if you carry a spare gas cap! I know I do - off to the JY. I think the diesel ones are green right? That would be cool. Otherwise the older ones are just metal and the newer ones are plastic covered and usually red.

Some things don't swap between the earlier and later cars on the electrical side. Others that know will chime in on that issue. Basic wiring is similar, but the later cars had a lot more power junk and EFI.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next