Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just Purchased..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm 
Bone stock

122_Canuck wrote:
....I was able to put together a basic "stage 0" kit with help from Dale and my local speed shop (plugs, wires, cap/rotor, belts, hoses, gaskets, fuel injector seals, fluid flush and the list goes on). It will cost half the purchase price of the car, but it is best to start there rather than have all of us wagging fingers at you when this stuff goes wrong......
Craig

Would I be able to glance at the full 'list' Craig, it (the car) sounds like my aunt Linda bickering about scrabble after a few shots of Bourbon, at idle. I would like to listen to it purr instead of sputter. Poor Lady

Engine, suspension (particularly the rear). Good places to start. I will drop it on the stock wheels. Get the motor runnin smooth. Spice it in the spring.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:13 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

The thing was running quite poorly when I drove it because the distributor cap had no center electrode in it - big ol' spark jumping from the coil wire to the rotor. It kind of idled but when you stepped on it, it would drop a cylinder or two. I suspect that's most of your problem, but hopefully not indicative of a general lack of maintenance.

Cap/rotor/plugs/wires, injector & injector holder seals, go through the vacuum hoses, clean the fuel distributor, some GM top end and crankcase treatment, and a high speed run to Red Deer on a tank of seafoam & fuel injector cleaner... it'll probably run about as good as it's gonna.

Is this your first Volvo, by the way? Not judging, just asking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:24 pm 
Bone stock

Yup. This is my 1st Volvo 'car'. I drove transport truck down to and in the states, piloted a VT730, and just fell in love with it. I wanted something that not EVERYONE has as individuals go. It had to be a Volvo. I have had many vehicles true to this in the past, (#1: 77 Ford 4x4 crewcab-shortbox. 351M 4speed, divorced 205 T-Case, Dana 60 top loaders front and back, 3 inch suspension lift, 35x 12.5x 16.5, 10K hyd warn winch out front, roll-over bars, 3 tonne wrecker bumper out front, twin alternators/batteries. #2 1986 Ford Single Cab 460 Dually w/ tilt deck(<---never again POS) #3: 87 Ford T-bird TURBO (tears I tell you, Tears...I wish I had never sold it [-o< ) #4: Turbo Jetta 89. junkyard wouldnt pass mechanical 4 inch hole through body, TL. (sniff) #5: 2k Chevrolet Cav, conv/3400 V6 manual. Pontiac SunF interior, N-body hubs, 4 wheel GM FACTORY disc brakes w functioning TRAC, rotors, Alero rear clip conversion on the back, fuel map flash, etc etc (4 mile long list or lots) all built over summers and winters between 2006 to 2009, Looked like a stock z24 with grand prix wheels..factory...INC governor left stock. No real insane performance goodies, just wanted a v6 in a cavalier. Got same milage in city, but did better highway, and more ~tss. Sold last November here in CGY, lost in garage fire, February '10....arson)

.. #-o ..yeah, I know....

Anyways...I was kind of refraining to mentioning that missing electrode as I wanted to forgive that someone for having less extensive mechanical knowlege then myself, or any of us for that matter either. (JK) I kinda gasped and sat back when I pulled the cap off the 1st night I had it home. The wires have a (forget what they are called) non-snap plug boot. The plugs that were in the car had solid connector ends. Just bad know how. :roll:

Fixed all that, better but still kinda has character. It's sounding better and better every 2 hrs I put into it.

I purchased a new cap (with electrode), new rotor, and crimped my own wires out of some MSD cable I had kicking around from when I owned my t-bird. I gapped the plugs. I checked the timing (w/ light) and re adjusted it back a bit to my ear. (only turned it about 4 degrees). I checked all the vacuum lines, and cut off what split ends I found, and it started to disassemble the fuel pump when I realized I had no idea how to check a mechanical fuel pump for problems..so I sipped on a coffee while I learned up.

I am by no means new to autos. But I am new to this 'specie' of car. I do appreciate everyones generous help, knowledge and patience.

Yum, time for dinner.

l8r.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:46 pm 

Oops....

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z235070564

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:52 pm 

OH man....seriously. Unreal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:08 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Really??? When I saw the ad I thought how many cars like that could there be, bummer for sure...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 pm 
Bone stock

Im just not financially set up to take this one on.

I'll explain.

Last week, early early Thursday morning, the door was forced in my garage out back. The crooks made off with nearly all my tools. (two Grey Chests wide open w/ about 4-5k worth of tools in it) My torque wrench set, hammers, grinder, drills, Oxy/Aet torches/bottles/caddy. My Lincoln Wire-Feed. 2 extension cords.. My fault for keeping it all so organized.
The only reason they didn't get out with the floor jack and the jack-stands is because they were under the car. But they cleaned me out. Even took my f-in empty beer cans.

The police have a good idea who it was, but they said that he would have to turn up before they could question him. Lotta help they are theses days, the dude made it all out like I had inconvenienced him.

I gave them what serial numbers I could, and they posted them at all Calgary pawn shops, and sent a few up to EDM aswell.

So far nothing has turned up, last I heard from the Police was Friday

They made off with my electrical chest aswel, and THAT hurt the most. as all the things to DO WITH this timing electrical issue was all in there.

I feel like someone Chopped my hands off.

Anyways, for lack of a better option, I am 'giving' it away to anyone here in the VOLVO CLUB. You want it, its yours.. COme and get it. Anyone outside of this group. 5bills.

-ken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:29 pm 

Wow, that's terrible news. I'm sure the car will find a good home. I hope the catch the guy and send him to jail with a dress on!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 pm 
First volvo in outer space

:shock: Man that blows. I really feel for you and wish you all of the best.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
That just makes me sick, so sorry to hear.
Is your insurance company stepping up or they going to screw you also?
Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 pm 
Bone stock

Yeah.. insurance.. right...

This shit doesn't happen to me. You know how it goes. The landlord had insurance on the BLDG, so he got his door put back. Lucky guy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:21 pm 

Rough. Sorry to hear about this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 pm 
Bone stock

For now I have 2 choices, really.
I can tarp the Volvo for the winter, try and get my tools back, and be on it like white on rice in the spring.
OR..
Give/sell it to one of you fellas, and give it a good home. Perhaps with goals to buy it back (with whatever has been done to it in the mean time) in the spring of 11.

I wouldn't be lying to ya if I told ya I feel like moving out of this neighborhood after this.

The car is rolling, Not under its own power at the moment (as the ad states) but otherwise its un-touched. The only parts installed are the dist-cap, plugs wires. Thats all I got into it as I was spending a weekend at a go. I was asessing it in full before I started into everything. You know how it goes. I had parts on order for it but I canceled the order friday not having any tools and what am I gonna do, use my fingers and a crecent wrench.

Look I'm open to offers. Seriously, I spend well over 500.00 on coffee, lunch and cigarettes monthly. If I gave it to someone, I really wouldn't care as I wouldn't see the deficit at this point.

Ive been doing some investigating, and its a loose theory, but I figure I know what happened. On the weekend of the 1st and 2nd, I was out in the shop late saturday night with the door wide open (late as in wrapped up at 3:00am). There was a party going on down the alley and there was a few loud mouth kids having a good time. When the wind was blowing in the right direction, well I used to participate in that aswell, years ago. Not judging, my space, thier space.. whatever. Kids.

The party dispersed before I wrapped things up and a white pickup drove slowly past the garage. I was under the car on the creeper so all I saw was the wheels and rockers of what sounded and appeared like a pickup. I'm guessing thats when it was scoped out. Probably 2nd hand information, as the garage is well lit with everything in plain view.

It happened at about 0:45 - 4:30am Thursday morning. I was in the garage Wednesday night. I remember locking both doors, and checking the man door. I KNOW HOW TO LOCK DOORS. I'm up at 5:30 to catch the bus downtown to work at 6. When I took out the trash for the garbage man, I noticed the door was open. When I got closer I found out it was broken open with door jamb strewn all over the place, and the knob was busted off (found the knob with a hammer blow on it). It was the deadbolt that broke the door jamb. They opened up the door, kicked everything out of the way and rolled the tool chest around the car and loaded it right out of the garage door. Shop vac, smaller chest, welder and grabbed the cordless miluakee w/out getting the charger. It was a quick scoop. Probably less then 10 mins. Had to be atleast 4 guys cause that bottom chest full is about 350lbs

They closed the garage door, shut off the light, and got away cleanly.

Like, I swear. These people KNEW what they were doing.

Those tools took easily 10 years to collect. I was proud of it, and man I am sure feeling it now they are gone. Like less of a human. I suppose thier only tools, but I mean come on.

OBD2 scanner, 3/3, 1/2. 3/4 torque wrench with force multiplier. 2 1/2drive impacts. 7/16 to 1 1/8 - 1/2drive deep impact sockets. 7/16 air ratchet, Little Giant air pig. Air chizels. 2 sets of box end metric wrenches, 2 sets of box end imperial wrenches. 1/2 swing handle, ratchets, stubby wrenches, chizles, hammers, pry bars, screw drivers.. drill bits, countersinks. My 1/4 brake line mandrel, flaring tools, tap and die set. Magnetic drill press.. I mean the list goes on.. Hack saw, rachet wrenches, sheet metal tools. Welding helmet, snap ring pliers, side cutters, wire crimping tools, shrink tube, heat gun...multi meter(s)..screw drivers.. :evil:

ARRRGGG...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:16 pm 
Bone stock

I am going to bed.. g-night all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:13 am 

Ouch, that really, really sucks. It's one of my greater fears, having my junk stolen, because I don't have what I think is enough proof to satisfy an insurance claim. Time for me to bust out the digital camera, I guess, but that doesn't help you much. I really hope you find the guys!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next