Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Clutch Master Cylinder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:09 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi - the old 122 wagon is stilll not on the road :oops: Amongst the (more credible) reasons is that the clutch is not working - just the hydraulics. It used-to work....

Anyway, since it has rubber parts which I hadn't replaced, I ordered a seal-kit for the master and slave cylinders, and I took-apart the master tonight. The Haynes manual says I have to remove a circlip from the inner push-rod assembly (with the spring, valve, and main seal on it) in order to get it apart. Hmmmmm. I can't see any circlip, nor any other way of getting the thing apart! Has anybody done this recently-enough to remember what gives?? [-o< [-o<

Among the other reasons it has been sitting idle is that the upholstry-shop lost the metal interior trim pieces below the window (they moved, but claim never to have had them). I got new ones, and had them fixed and painted, except the wrong colour.

James

Post subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:23 pm 

I see that's 12 views, and no replies (yet). I'm going to go out, start the fire, and have another look tonight. Failing some brainstorm, should be able to at least get the slave done - it is simpler.

No-worries.

J

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Buy a new one? For the cost it's hardly worth rebuilding the old one. Wilwood makes the exact unit. Not sure of the bore of the original but I suspect it's 5/8"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILWOOD- ... _609wt_875

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:53 am 

Heeeeeeeyy! The invisible clip showed itself. \:D/ There is a little tab that you have to bend out with a screwdriver.
It holds the assembly together against spring-pressure.

And now I have a very shiny master-cylinder too, after a bit of effort with the wirewheel. Is there any (simple) way to seal it up so the aluminum doesn't oxidize? I don't imagine laquer would stick. I have a mind to spray it with silicone - the kind you put on the table-saw so everything slides nicely.

J

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 am 

Thanks, Dale. I wouldn't have imagined it would be that easy to get a new 50 year-old part!

The workings are so simple (and the bore is lookin' just-fine), so here's hoping this will do it.

J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:14 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
The enemy to any hydraulic system is water, if the bore in your MC is good you can try rebuilding but in most cases water contamionation will cause pitting which will result in a leak.

DO NOT get any laquer or silicon INSIDE the hydualic system. outside it will not hurt anything but water, grease, oil, anything but brake fluid will contaminate the system, swell the rubber seals and cause hydraulic failure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:37 pm 
Cams + Headers

I'm learning a lot from this discussion as I'm about to tackle the hydraulic clutch parts. I don't want to hijack the thread. But to add to the discussion I will ask. My "slave" bore has white crystals in it which I assume is condensation or water residue. I get the no oil, lacquer, etc. but what about acetone on a rag to wipe out the bore and clean oils etc.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:34 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Acetone or brake cleaner can be used to clean the parts (never use petroleum based cleaners like solvent). The cyliner should be honed prior to replacing any seals, I personally will not rebuild brake or clutch hydraulics if a new replacement is available, These parts new are usually not expensive and I have never found it worth the time and effort to rebuild unless there in no other option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 am 

Well, here's hoping it will work; I've replaced seals in the clutch before with no problems, maybe I just got lucky. The walls are shiney, with no marks, or pitting.

"Crystals" on aluminum parts: I've seen that before, and I think they are some compound of aluminum - "compounded" with something from the air/moisture. #-o I'm gonna guess aluminum carbonate, but I guess it doesn't really matter. The outcome would be some pitting, however.

Hey - I was going to put hydraulic fluid back in the clutch - seems to me that was what I saw in the manual, although I believe I put brake fluid in them when I did it the last-time. Can anyone explain the difference? I have a very foggy memory sometimes - should know this.

All the best (and Merry Christmas!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 pm 

It's just aluminum oxide...and it will cause pits and render the part useless. New are available for cheap and I use DOT4 in mine. No problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:57 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

You want to use brake fluid for the clutch hydraulic system.
Hydraulic fluid will swell every rubber part in the system making it useless. I have yet to see any half ways modern car brake or clutch system use anything but brake fluid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:57 pm 

Hi -

Okay, brake-fluid it is! Maybe I DIDN'T use brake-fluid last-time, and that is why my clutch worked - bu only for awhile. The rubbers looked fairly new, but soft-ish alright.

BTW: In order to raise my chances of it working, how does one hone such a small cylinder??

(thanks)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm 

Exactly what ^^^^ said. hydraulic oil or fluid is petroleum based, brake fluid is glycol based. Any petroleum based product will swell and soften the rubber seals destroying them

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 pm 

you can actually buy a brake cyliner hone, but you can also use some fine emory paper wrapped around a small dowel, place it in the cylinder bore (lubed with brake fluid) and spin the dowel between your palms (like starting a fire with 2 sticks in boy scouts. as you spin move the dowel in and out to get a nice cross hatch. The easy but more expensive way is a brake cylinder hone in a drill, again lubed with brake fluid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 pm 

Dammit Jim.... :lol:

Just buy a new one...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next