Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: heater core- james/gurus?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

So Darth was fogging up yesterday and I couldn't clear the windshield on full defrost/AC.

The night before I was mucking with the upper heater hose in the engine bay as it was weeping slightly.

Lost whatever coolant was in the reservoir over yesterday.

Any chance this is something other than the core? Or did fixing the minor leak at the firewall increase the system pressure just enough to blow out a weak core? Any where else to look, tests I can do, before taking her in to Bert and Jacks? I have no desire to tackle a messy job like this right now, especially without a backup car.

Thanks for your thoughts/input. Rough start to the weekend, especially with Jade getting called by her credit card with $1400 worth of fraudulent charges...

Post subject: Re: heater core- james/gurus?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 pm 

As you know, I'm no expert on the later stuff...seems to me a simple check of system pressure would tell you if you have a leak. I'm sure the heater core is stuffed in somewhere the Sun doesn't shine, but check for a wet carpet and the usual crap like that.

Crappy news about Jade. It's terrible when someone has skimmed your card.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:34 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Sure sounds like the core, although it may simply be a hose connection to the valve or core. I've done a couple of cores on a 240, 12 hours the first time, 7 hours on the second one, not enjoyable. Changing out the valve on the 240 only took a couple of hours. To swap out the core on the 740/940 apparently takes even longer (unbelieveable!). I dread the occasion when it eventually arrives. Makes me a firm believer in changing the coolant every few years, and using the expensive Volvo coolant. But I know I am just prolonging the inevitable...
'course I may be just talking through my hat, seeing that I don't know what persuasion Darth is....
John D.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:36 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
It is common when you mess around with the heater supply lines that the heater core will start leaking. I personally will never try to reuse a heater hose connected to the heater core, I always cut the hose so as not to damage the heater core. That is one thing that experince has taught me. Although replacing the heater core in your car is a p.i.t.a it is nowhere near as bad as replacing one in a Mercedes Benz.

Also sorry about Jade's credit card, there is enough stress around without that adding to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 am 
Whost Pore

i've done two in 740s/760s now, it's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, just involved. I did both in winter outside too.

basically everything has to come out from midway through the drivers side outwards, and some of those little bolts are a PITA to get at.

BUT if you're careful and meticulous and don't force anything, it all comes out quite easily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 am 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

What Ian said, pretty much.

Not a too terrible job on a later 740/940, not fun either.

Pretty miserable on a 88+ 760/960.

Heater core is not a normal wear item. Cheap ish coolant? Overheat? Over-pressure? Monkeys mangling core hose connections?
Small water pump pulley and over-rev? Green coolant cap and all of the above?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am 

Thanks guys, i'm going to go out this morning and monkey around some more. yes james, me monkeying with the hose that goes from the cyl head to the fire wall (upper one). It was leaking in the summer (original hose probably) so I replaced it (with some universal hose), but had some trouble getting the old one off and may have mis-shapened the core tube coming through the firewall. Wasn't really a problem as everything seemed ok, though it did weep a bit from time to time.
So this week I decided to adjust the clamp to seal it off a bit better...and now it weeps worse, and on the other side of the firewall it seems, fogging up the car:(

Yes, green cap (ordering a different one today), cheap coolant (someone brought me 4 jugs of premix they had sitting around).

Not overheated, from what I know (though I know you love how "accurate" the later coolant temp gauges are)

Standard pump pulley, very rarely to the 6000 limiter, though we did go for a spirited group drive through the mountains a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:32 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

So, what's the skinny on the green coolant cap? Hadn't heard that one before.
JD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 pm 

JayDee24ca wrote:
So, what's the skinny on the green coolant cap? Hadn't heard that one before.
JD

If you wind it up and run the green cap with either/both small water pump pulley or GMB pump, the heater core won't live long.

I focus on making the car cool right. Not more pressure, which shouldn't be required. Much easier on all parts involved.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:14 pm 

the frig...i went to order one thru worldpac and they only have green. do i have to go to the dealer?

trimmed the hose at the firewall, it was a bit rotted already, clearly sub-par quality. I'm hoping it was just leaking, possibly at some pressure, into the firewall grommet and soaking through to the interior. no puddles inside that i can tell. i'll find out if it's sealed tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:41 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Okay, I got that the green cap is a higher pressure cap (right?). So what are the alternatives? Are they like gumballs, all muticoloured like? Different pressure rating for various colours?
JD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:03 am 

Found the coolant dripping down by the kick panel this morning. Yay! On the train after dropping off darth at bert and jacks. Just what i need leading up to christmas! And a new motorcycle helmet, cordless drill and angle grinder since thats what the crackheads took saturday night when they busted the garage door off its track to get in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Athal, sorry to hear you are having such crappy luck of late. I thought I had an extra black cap you could have. I just looked at it and it's grey (thought it was black that had faded) and is stamped 150 kPa?? My black cap is stamped 75 kPa and I can't find a green one to see what the pressure rating is on them. I'll keep looking in my stash for a black one for you.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 am 

Dang...it's contagious :cry: ...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm 

Green replaced the defective gray ones that would stick shut or open sometimes and are the same pressure IIRC.

This is the time of year that would really speed people's brain waves and priorities in life for fixing heater fans and heater cores for mechanic work from me.

I'd fix their car to run real good all summer and maybe even make it look okay.
November hits and not having the heat/defrost work just so when it is your only mode of reliable, comfortable, timely transport gets people to think a little clearer about what their priorities in life are. It also decreases ingratitude for handing over...well...appropriate fair cost for me to do another bout of repair work on short notice usually in my cold garage.

I think cold weather is good for the brain. People are friendlier about helping each-other out if their car breaks on the side of the road because their lives depend on it.

Cali, people fight, can live comfortably year round and are d1ckheads with lots of crime. Go figure, the US govmt has some of the biggest federal prisons on expensive, warm weather land.

I say put them in siberia, turn the heat off if they complain and they will all be hugging each-other and singing coom-bye-ahhh! I don't have a sick mind at all, do I? I'm not in favor of torture, cruel and unusual punishment, but am in favor of comedic, extreme realistic examples. I'm in favor of a better economy and not building more prisons and police states like the economically depressed sh1thole that is the central valley CA.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next