Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 945 (im) balance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Just some interesting info. Stopped at the scale at Clairesholm the other day.

Front axle 860kg
Total weight 1600kg

Empty car except for me and 2/3 tank of fuel.

Owners manual lists the car as ~1504kg curb weight. Would that be dry then? I don't weigh 100kg...

At any rate, that puts the weight distribution about 54F/46R. Not too shabby I guess, gets worse the more fuel you use though. Don't suppose there's much one can do to improve that? Apart from pulling the AC, adding rear ballast and such...

Moving ~15kg battery to rear - 845/1600= 53/47

Do 940s still have vibration dampener weight thingies on the front cross member like 700s apparently do?

Hmm, converting to NPR intercooler ain't gonna help...neither did switching to glass ecodes from the plastic DOTs!

remove front swaybar! lulz
allooominm hood...

Post subject: Re: 945 (im) balance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:12 pm 

Don't believe the owner's manual - they ignore options, undercoat, etc, and might not include gasoline.

Don't believe those highway scales - they're calibrated to 12,000 - 50,000 kg: I'm not sure how accurate they are in the 1000 kg range.

The fuel tank is in front of the rear axle, so at least it affects both axles in the same direction, if not by the same amount. The 240 has a rear tank so adding fuel actually takes weight OFF the front axle. Moving the battery from in front of the front axle and behind the rear axle will be more of an improvement than just the 15kg would suggest, for the same reasons.

Don't remove any of those weights - they really do work. I got rid of them in the 745 and immediately noticed more vibration and harshness, and didn't notice even the slightest bit of balance improvement.

How do you feel about moving the engine back in the chassis? I'm not sure how far it could go and you'd have to do driveshaft, exhaust, and shifter mods, not to mention custom hoses etc, but it would work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 pm 

Kinda what I figured. If I was doing a whiteblock, or some other fun swap I'd definitely look at moving things back, but for now, I'll live with mister plow.

I figured the scales wouldn't be super accurate, but should be good enough for figuring out ratios. FWIW, I did remove the battery weight from the front axle, and add it to the rear, which is why that 15kg made a full point difference!

Just bench racing on a thursday afternoon :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 pm 

Think about moments about the axle. If your wheelbase is 109 inches and your battery is 14" in front of the front axle and weighs 15 kg, removing it takes 17 kg off the front and puts 2 kg back on the rear. Then by placing it 18" behind the rear axle, you're putting 17.5 kg on the rear and taking 2.5 off the front. You're actually removing 19.5 kg from the front axle and placing it on the rear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:06 pm 

There you go with your big brain again!

See I was only thinking of static load, like when you turn in and the car starts to plow because there's more weight on the front than the back. But of course you're right, dynamic balance is even more affected.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Mags in the front, steelies in the rear?? :lol:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]