Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Seatbelts for the 122 Wagon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:53 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi.

Hopefully this the last thing on this car (but I know it won't be). Seatbelts. The original seatbelts are by all-accounts THE original three-point seatbelts!! Beyond that however, they leave a lot to be desired. Does anybody have any experience with installing modern ones in there? I've heard older VW stuff fits, but I don't know about any of the retractable ones, which would of-course be preferable. Even the second-generation belts (1968+) are a big improvement, in anyone has any of that lying-around. I know they are switch-able. Hmmmm, maybe I don't know that... yeah, I take that back. Help!!!

Thanks,

James

Post subject: Re: Seatbelts for the 122 Wagon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Dale and I put 240 seatbelts into his car. While it was pretty straightforward, the mounting of the retractor mechanism took a bit of welding. Nothing much, though. The main anchor bolted right to where the central hook bolted, the shoulder hook mounted where the shoulder anchor mounted, and the geometry worked out just right. We took the opportunity to swap to the 240 handbrake and brake cables at the same time, since we'd installed a 240 rear axle, and threw in 240 seats for good measure.

Dale doesn't seem to have posted a picture of the retractor mount. Maybe he's got something in his files.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:44 am 

I don't think I took any pictures of the retractor... :oops:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:36 pm 

Hi. Okay, that is good! I'm not a welder, but I'll get the gear from John and see what I can figure-out. It fits, that was what I was hoping. Can you still recline the seat?

On the top of the post, did you have to modify anything, or did it just bolt on [-o< ? And on the bottom (this is the part I was worried-about), did you also weld on a plate?

I'll have to get this done before taking it to the upholstry shop.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 am 

Hi.
Lucky-me, I went out to John's and he had what I needed alright. I got a set of seatbelts with cable-attached locks only (no handbrake, I'm left-handed :) ) and the retractors. The bolt size and threads match top and bottom on the door posts!!!!!! Now, it looks like a pretty-tight fit with those retractor barrels behind the seats - what did you do there? Also, I think those retractor assemblies won't last too long if everything remains exposed, but I can't imagine cutting into the door-posts to recess the whole assembly. Is there some kind of a cover from an earlier model, maybe? You mentioned welding.

James

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 am 

I don't recall, honestly. I know we had the retractor barrel bolted to the factory location at one point but neither of us liked it sticking out like that, and I think the belt had to be twisted 180* to get that to work (which I really didn't like). I'm pretty sure I cut a hole in the panel and welded some nuts in there to bolt the 240 mounting plate to, which gave a nice solid anchor and tucked the retractors a bit further out of the way. The body isn't as deep as a 240 at that point so the spool couldn't be tucked right out of the way, but it's not too bad.

Maybe Dale can snap a picture of it when he gets the chance? That might be enough to spark a memory from me... I don't think it's buried behind a door panel or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 pm 

Hi -

I started thinking about cutting a hole in the door-post today, so went out and looked again. On the wagon, at least, the post is nowhere near wide enough. Mmmmmmm.

Yes, mounting it the way I had originally mentioned would mean turning the retractor 180 degrees, but couldn't the rest of it turn as well? I guess-not, but I'll look. I'm not seeing any other options as this point. The seat is quite far back (far-enough for me, but I can't slide it either-way (an old seat - mine at already at the upholstry shop). I'd sure like to have the assembly tucked-in a little ways, so Dale, can you have a look and tell me what you did? I believe that Volvo of your's was a 2-door, though, right???

Maybe I'll just have to go for the 'new' version of the seatbelts for the 122....

Thanx.

James

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:00 pm 

Mine is a 2-door so we had lots of room to work with. I know the reel protrudes from the pillar because it's a bit of a pain to get in the back seat without tripping over the reel or the belt. I'm pretty sure we didn't twist the belt any so the reel is running parallel to the body. I suspect the 4-door pillar is a little small to swallow the reel although it's not really in anyone's way unless the seat runs into it...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm 
Whost Pore

i'm thinking like some of the chrysler products (Minivans in particular) where the retractor comes from the bottom (if my fuzzy memory is correct), goes up to a mount and then comes over.... maybe something to consider? we'll see what happens when i get there

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm 

HI.

Yes, on the post sticking-out might be Ok, except for the dirt-factor; there would have to be some kind of cover. My old '69 two-door had the original seatbelts, and getting into the back was always a pain.

So, yeah, Eric there may be something in other vehicles I can use - something that is not recessed into the post, and therefore has some kind of a cover. I'd say there is a good chance of that. The ones I am using now also have the retractor barrel on the bottom of the post.

James

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 pm 
Whost Pore

even fabricating a cover would be fairly easy, i'll have a look when i make it the j/y next week for possible matches, since this will affect me as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 pm 

Hi Eric,

Out of circulation there for a couple of days, and I'm on a short leash to go to work as well. Anyhow, let's see what we can figure-out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:24 pm 
Whost Pore

went junkyarding today with a bud, -35 after the windchill, effing cold.

Perusing quickly, i didn't see anything that looks like it would work, but i really only poked my head into a few chrysler cars.

i'll have a look when i get back next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:56 am 

Yes, you do that. I'm thinking smaller cars that don't have room in the post.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping for a brainstorm of some kind; my garage is too efing-cold to work in, but I'm going to go out there anyway and just loooook. Maybe something will pop into my head. :shock: It's just a cover. You can fab something, I'm gonna have to find something already-made. :?: :?:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:11 am 

Ok, it WAS cold out there alright. What do you think about mounting it lower; right in the floor. One would have to cut into the rockers, but there should be more room. Slim-chance?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]