Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why is Darth still sick? :(
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Ok good, well that's somewhat of a relief. I couldn't figure out where the supply and return ports were by looking at the gasket.

If oil was leaking out the gasket, it would be between 3 and 4 though?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:43 am 

There are returns along the exhaust side of the head, I'm not sure if there's one at the rear (I thought so?) but any leak from a return should be visible along the side of the block. The pressure line comes in as Craig says, between #1 and #2, and I suspect it's on the exhaust side, right next to a head bolt.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:18 pm 

Feed is the little hole outside of the head bolt hole between 1&2.

http://www.pbase.com/stealthfti/image/82510653

Which one(s) are drain?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm 

The three big tubes on the opposite side of the block. I just checked my B21 coffee table to confirm.

The little hole by the head bolt is visible. The "distributor" side has the returns - follow the line of head bolts and you can see the return tubes.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm 

Ok, some good news. I finally narrowed down the leak to the turbo drain.

It's leaking out the top, but only on throttle (stupid crankcase pressure) then it sort of sprays out and up. That's why it was kind of all over and I couldn't figure out where it started.

Too tired to fight with that tonight, so I'll fix it later then I won't leave a mess everywhere when I try and find out what's up with #4. Unless by plugging that hole the crankcase pressure pushes out somewhere else...sigh.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:39 am 

On the intake side. Okay, that's weird. I wonder why I had it in my head the returns were way up there?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:46 am 

How's this thing going? Getting anywhere on it, or are you just burned out and enjoying riding the bike now?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 am 

Little of column A, little of B...mostly I just haven't had any time to look at it. I'm hoping tonight to replace the turbo drain seal and swap in a T cam. Hopefully some miracle happens and it turns out something IS wrong with the V-cam so everything will be supersweet.

I only wish it was a bad ground...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:51 pm 

Got the drain fixed, fun times.

Swapped in the T cam. the V does have a tiny bit of scoring where it touched the bucket on the #4 exhaust, but you can barely feel it with your finger.

Ran a cold compression test:

#1- 138 (was 132 warm)
#2- 138 (was 140 warm)
#3- 150 (was 140 warm)
#4- 116 (was 100 warm)

runs alot better, smoother, 16in vacuum, seems like the pcv system is keeping up ok. didn't feel like waiting for things to cool down enough to do a hot/warm test, but obviously things are alot better!

So, I guess it's fixed, for now. Gotta put some miles on it. Don't uncross the fingers yet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 am 

Can the piston rings be changed from the oil pan, without removing the head?

PVC seems to be working at idle, but I'm still getting oil out the filler cap after a drive, and power still isn't what it should be. Dammit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 am 

Nope.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am 

Damn crap poop, again.

Last compression test was (front to back) 145, 152, 148, 142. At least they're all within 10psi now.

I could totally live with it if it wasn't for the messy valve cover and spots of oil.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:38 am 

Well first things first: The oil out the filler cap isn't a big deal - if you're leaking there, it's a seal issue. The cap is supposed to be air/oil tight, so if it's not, deal with it.

If you've got a power issue, we can methodically figure out why.

First of all, do you ACTUALLY have a power issue? Are you just used to it? Is it just a miscalibrated butt-dyno? Is it missing or running poorly, or is it just so smooth and progressive that you don't notice the power?

Next, what components could be holding you back? You're still running that little 13c, aren't you? Ported the manifold? Plugged cat? You're back to the T cam, right?

What could be a problem? Leaking boost hoses, leaking exhaust mani, plugged cat, bad injector spray, bad AMM or FPR or knock sensor...

Have you checked the AFR to see how rich it is? I hear tell these things run in the low 10:1 range - I know my LH2.2 did when it got into boost, and it made about 10 more horsepower by leaning it out to the high 10:1 range with Fred's chip. Have you actually checked the boost pressure, or are you just relying on that factory gauge?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 am 

I've replaced the cap seal once, though maybe there's another issue there (or it's a crappy aftermarket seal?).

Could be mis-calibrated butt dyno I suppose. I doubt it's cat, top end feels ok. Yes, wee 13c, ported manifold, power is smooth. Most "noticable" in second gear with a roll on- boost builds quickly, but torque builds slowly. I'm getting about 9psi by 2500 (on the VDO boost gauge, reads same as my other vdo) but torque builds slowly and doesn't really ever feel strong (except first gear) but the power comes on nicely over 4000. On the highway though, it's ok, but not really confidence inspiring for passing.

AFRs were well into the 10s when I had your WB on there a few years back, don't suspect that's changed. injectors cleaned and balanced also a number of years back, that could have changed. Checked all hoses during the head work, old manifold DEFINITELY leaked, this one does not.

I might just need more boost...and/or drive a similar car. I'm pretty sure Dales is much quicker, though last I drove it was sea level, and he may be running 4 or 5 more psi, but we have no idea...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 am 

Dale's car has more compression than yours, a ported 90+, 405 head (for whatever it's worth), and most importantly, a Garrett with a .63 turbine housing. The 3.31/AW-70 really kills it off the line, but once it's rolling I'm surprised at how well it pulls. And that's on an 87 tune (but running 91)

Keep working towards getting your 60/63 on there and report back then. I'll bet it wakes up tremendously. Or you could try my HY-35W??? :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next