Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Brake drum specs anybody?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:18 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Hi - I took my wagon in for inspection this week ( =D> =D> =D> ), and B & J's have a question about the brake drums. They were pretty scored, so I went to a brake shop, but they said they couldn't spin them so instead gave me an air-hose, and said "Have at 'er!"

Anyway, the mechanic thinks I need new drums, but didn't have the specs and I am not sure if he is right. In a perfect world, yeah, but I would just end-up getting used ones. Can anybody tell me what the min. drum thickness is?

J

Post subject: Re: Brake drum specs anybody?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
I will start with an apology for what I am about to say.
DO NOT GUESS or GO CHEAP with brake parts
Wear limits are there for a reason, during braking a lot of heat is generated and if there is not enough metal to absorb and dissipate the heat the brake drums can break. Broken brake drums will cause complete brake failure and you could kill yourself or someone else.

Yes I am sensitive to anyone taking shortcuts on both brakes and suspension, I have seen the failures that support my position. , As a mechanic I can loose my license for improper repair to these components but everyone's safely is far more important.

Listen to the experts and buy serviceable components that work the way they were designed and keep everyone safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:46 pm 

Hi - Thanks.

I am told by IPD that the specs for brake drums are on the drum somewhere - I had a look, but can't find (yet), maybe that is why there is nothing published - each drum is different?? Anyway, Olaf cannot locate a new drum, so I'm still stuck - no saying whether any used drum is any better. I suppose I could measure the wall thickness, but this seems rather crude, as the outer wall is not smooth.

If anyone out there has any brake drums, and can locate a stamp on them somewhere, that might help me find it on mine.

Discs on the back? Overkill, I should say. Improving the front brakes would be more attractive, but I don't think necessary, as I don't intend to push things.

As I'm not getting a lot of help here yet, I'm going to try going farther afield - there is a volvo website in Europe which I post questions on occasionally. If I find-out, I'll post.

James

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 pm 

The green book doesn't specify anything other than maximum radial throw of .15mm or 0.006".

I've got the rear drums off my '67 sedan. Don't know if they're the right drums for your wagon but I'm sure we can work out a fair deal, if they're the right size...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 pm 

Thanks again, Dale. And someone walked into Bert 'n Jack's yesterday who happened to have a set of shoes in his garage :D - after I drove back and forth across Calgary several times to find some. :?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 am 

Never thought to check for you but WorldPac has a set in Vancouver if you want a spare set. Manual adjusting on that car, correct?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:54 pm 

Automatic - I got some from NAPA, but they were the manual-adjusters.

Meanwhile, those drums - we are still working on that - getting them machined. One was cracked - not sure if it was one of your's or not.

The fellow at Alberta Chrome (?) is pretty-sure he can get some specs - that is still up in the air, but one way or another, we will have 'er rolling soon!

Jim

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]