Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Thoughts on this car
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Looked at a 93 240 with and m47 yesterday that is in alot better shape than our 90 but has a couple of rust issues that look odd. The one is the typical around the windshield thing but a couple of the spots are raised up a good 1/4-3/8". The second is the corner of the DS rear 1/4 that is fairly big and crusty as well, it seems like an odd spot for rust to form that predominantly?

Otherwise the car is in pretty good shape, nice interior with AC/PM/PW/ ipod stereo 296K km, lots of oil changes. Mostly all original though, but the suspensions pretty decent for the miles and a new clutch 10K ago, exhaust is quiet but the resonator is rusted alot and the tailpipe is hanging a bit. The AC blows only slightly cool, seller said he had it looked at once and was told no leaks but it still didn't blow cold, the blower fan is quiet. He's just been filling the AC every spring with those DIY bottles from CT. Drives pretty nice, not too crazy about how the clutch all lets out at the end and first seemed a little stubborn compare to our car. They're asking $2500 and don't seem like they will go too much lower.

I am thinking if I could get it for $2K would be OK. Given the miles I would do the shocks, water pump, exhaust and all the fluids right away.

The worst of the wheelwells

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this car
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:34 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

My feeling is you could get alot less rusty, lower mileage 240 for less.

Bought my dad's '89 with about 200k, no rust, bad paint, $500. Rust drives me nuts though. Not worth paying extra for the manual, if that's what you're after.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 pm 

swedishmeatball wrote:
My feeling is you could get alot less rusty, lower mileage 240 for less.

Bought my dad's '89 with about 200k, no rust, bad paint, $500. Rust drives me nuts though. Not worth paying extra for the manual, if that's what you're after.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the price but if you watch kijiji/CL etc. anything under a grand is usually pretty ratty. The km's are higher but it drives like a newer car so it's had some care and attention.Yes, the real attraction to this car is 3 pedals and AC, it seems to be if it has AC thens it's autotragic and vice versa for the stick. If you can find one better/cheaper I'm all ears. :lol:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:47 pm 

Did you call about this one? $2150 obo, same mileage, but looks nice on paper

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z290119817

mystery car, but you never know, price is right!

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z280294214

For ~$2k, step up to a 940:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z275625544

or this- oil changes every 500km!!!(?)

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z282352064

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm 

swedishmeatball wrote:
Did you call about this one? $2150 obo, same mileage, but looks nice on paper

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z290119817

mystery car, but you never know, price is right!

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z280294214

For ~$2k, step up to a 940:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z275625544

or this- oil changes every 500km!!!(?)

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z282352064

First one is 3 years older and slightly higher km, doesn't say it has AC so likely doesn't for about the same money. Second is autotragic. Third is autotragic as well as not a 240 as is the fourth one. Sorry but none of these, other than the first which is a wagon, support your pricing argument. Comparing 240's to 940's or 740's doesn't fly as I think we can agree that 240's have been holding/appreciating in price where 7/9's and especially 8xx's are not. The problem I find is 240 prices are all over the map, people with old worn cars are asking ridiculous numbers and in some cases getting it, just ask Greg about the crazy lady down here with here "golden" 79 wagon.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:44 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Rust around the windshield is common and usually worst (especially if it's raised and crusty) when you pull the window. The rear quarter is a weird one but I'm sure I seen that before on an early sedan at the junkyard. If you can squeeze your hand into that corner from the inside you'll probably feel the rust. Wheel arches are expected, same condition as mine and many others out there. To be honest, I personally wouldn't be so concerned about the rust... given the year, mileage and the fact it's probably been daily driven all it's years, it sounds like it's in nice shape.

Does it have cruise? A/C and/or cruise seem to be rare options on manual 240s in Canada! If the A/C blows cool, but not cold and the seller has been topping it up himself with Redtek, I'm thinking he didn't have the system emptied before hand; I'm no expert on A/C (currently trying to get mine working), but from my research, it's pretty important that there's no other type of refrigerant in the system otherwise the Redtek won't perform to it's peak. R12 or R134a?

Your right about the prices... they are all over the place! I've been keeping an eye on the market and there's even less choice in Edmonton. If I was going to buy another late 240 I'd be expecting to pay $1500-2500 for a good one. :) I've seen them advertise for a lot more, though.

If it drives nice and your happy I think $2k would be safe... I wouldn't worry to much about the shocks though, unless they need it... more concerned about the timing belt (all the belts actually), water-pump and all fluids.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 am 

Hey Darren, thanks for the feedback you raise some good points. We went back last night so Lisa could see/drive the car. The rust on the rear 1/4 is from a poorly repaired accident, looks like the bondo didn't and water got underneath, not sure what it would look like under there. The nice thing about the 93's AC is that it's r134 so it's a better starting point to repair than a r12 system. The car doesn't have cruise which is the only thing it's missing, funny b/c our plain jane 90 only has cruise. :shrug: I agree with you that compared to our 90, as well as other similar vintage cars, the rusting is about the same in the usual places and I really doubt you would ever find a rust free car except the southern US.

So we offered them $2k and she countered with $2200, we left it at that as to be honest I am not completely convinced I want this car but feel like I should. Overall it's a nicely kept car, the interior is almost perfect, but the exterior has a lot of deep scratches especially the roof/rails from skis and racks (they're avid skiers). Part of the problem is having to sell our 90 with TMU and a rebuilt title (sounds nicer than salvage), although we bought it so who knows?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 am 

Automatic can be converted to manual with a few hundred bucks in parts and a weekend. I wouldn't spend $2000 on a manual car when I could get an automatic with less miles for $500, but that's just me. If it comes down to A/C, that's another issue of course.
Sounds like the car you're looking at has questionable A/C, not the smoothest tranny, and sketchy rust/accident repair. I think you're right to pass on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:55 pm 

swedishmeatball wrote:
Automatic can be converted to manual with a few hundred bucks in parts and a weekend. I wouldn't spend $2000 on a manual car when I could get an automatic with less miles for $500, but that's just me. If it comes down to A/C, that's another issue of course.
Sounds like the car you're looking at has questionable A/C, not the smoothest tranny, and sketchy rust/accident repair. I think you're right to pass on it.

Different perspective I guess, for me a manual swap would be an enormous challenge both technically and especially physically. I would love to broaden my search criteria as you suggest but I am not physically capable of taking this on hence buying it already done is a requirement for me.

I agree the A/C concerns me a bit, but it is r134 and I got the impression from the seller that it wasn't a priority for him and he never stuck with getting it working right. As Darren mentioned there is pretty much no hope of it working well with him mixing different refrigerants. I did a bit of searching on the first gear issue and I'm not too concerned. Our old 740 m46 wasn't always the easiest in to first and it went to Valhalla due to rust at 485K driving and shifting fine. Comments I found were that both the m4x's could be balky going in to first, some moreso than others. Other than being a bit fussy in to first it shifted very smoothly and was quiet in all gears. The rust is about the same or slightly better than our 90, so once again we have to deal with it either way. I guess in a way I am passing on it as we are only $200 apart on price, if I really wanted the car I guess I would just pay up?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:30 pm 

Keep in mind the ever-present issue of a manual swap on a 2.4 car, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 pm 

Being a 93 it would be 3.1 no? Even more interesting than 2.4?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 pm 

Only manual cars got 3.1, autos were 2.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Just as you mention your old 740 and the rusted body at 485KMs... it clicked; you mentioned that when we met at the End of Summer Event last year! I never realized.. nice to put name to face to car. :mrgreen:

Good to know the rear quarter was an accident repair... From my experience, bubbling like this is a pretty nasty sign of the metal rusting from the inside, out... and what you see on the outside is eye candy compared. As for the other rust, just compare it to other 18 year old vehicles on the road, could be a lot worst. The factory paint seems to hold up really well though; mine is littered in various scratches and a few dents.

My old '81 242 with M46 was terrible for going into 1st gear when the thing had warmed up. I had to wrestle with the shifter and even had some cars beep after the green light (I hate riding the clutch sitting idle). Rest of the gears were perfect and I did ~15k KMs in that thing.

I hear ya on the manual swap... don't have the knowledge, and I'd always try to buy to my spec before even considering the feasibility of something like this. I love manual transmission, but a stock 240 for commuting... how much 'fun' do you expect to have in it!

I retro-fitted cruise control to my '91 using a '90-'93 kit I pulled at the junkyard. Even if you could only get a kit from an auto, I'm sure it would be easy to create a new pedal plate and modify the loom for the clutch... especially when you already have a manual car you can copy from!

You probably could do better for $2k. You know yourself, if you really wanted that car, it would be sitting in your drive already! I wouldn't be surprised if the seller gets in touch with you in a few weeks time. It's hard holding out for a nice one!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:48 pm 

FWIW a snippet from one of James's posts in a tbrix thread "What is the best year for the 240".

all credits to 945ti
I'd buy a nice straight, original paint car that is well cared for within reasonable driving distance. Good luck. It might cost 2-3kish to get a real nice one, or 1-2 to get ones in various conditions from terrible to pretty darn nice. Money isn't so much the issue as condition. Miles don't matter a whole lot either compared to condition. Year doesn't matter a huge lot, but I do prefer 83 or 91+ personally, but again. Condition, condition, condition.

(my highlighting)

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:11 pm 

swedishmeatball wrote:
Only manual cars got 3.1, autos were 2.4

From a thread on tbrix http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=233599, I looked at the picture I took of the VIN plate and it's an 88 = 2.4, can't count on Volvo for continuity some times. :lol:

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next