Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Wheel bearing noise after Poly Install?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Finally got the Poly bushings installed and installed the 21mm front bar with it's old rubber bushings for the time being. Definitely feels tighter with less clunking over bumps, but now it's making a wheel bearing noise and the brakes pulsate when applied at 80-100 km/h. I torqued everything to spec at full droop and everything seems to be OK. The only thing I think looks odd is the top end link bushings, they are much smaller than the rubber and would really need to be squished to expand out like the iPd install picture. I am going to put it back up stands and spin the wheels, but the sound is almost definitely a wheel bearing. Is it possible to have something binding causing this, the car tracks straight down the road.

Edit: Put it up on stands, PS wheel spins very freely, DS stops within a turn of being spun. Noticed that the outside of the PS tire has scrub marks from my short test drive, sure seems like I put something out of alignment which doesn't make sense for just doing bushings? Turning from lock to lock looks normal, no binding or effort to turn.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing noise after Poly Install?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'm gonna say an alignment is in order. The noise is likely tire scrubbing, not bearing. Putting poly bushings in will alter where things sit, particularly if an alignment has been done with worn bushings. I'm thinking it should affect camber more than anything but I suppose it could have an effect on the direction the wheels point as well...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 am 

Define scrubbing? What is the difference between the DS and PS if you measure the sway endlinks to the tire? Did you move the suspension through its full travel with the wheels off? Is the brake dragging on the DS? What shape were the wheel bearings in (repacked?)...if you need a set of eyes, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:22 am 

Of course it would change toe. If the camber is altered by the compliance of the bushings, the balljoints get closer together or further apart. Without adjusting the tie-rods to match, it's going to toe in or out.

Poly bushings DO transmit more road noise to the cabin, though. Is that what you're hearing?

If your brakes pulse all of a sudden and you're getting bearing noise, I would say you goofed on reassembly somewhere, or something that was on its way out finally let go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:42 am 

Pylon wrote:
I'm gonna say an alignment is in order. The noise is likely tire scrubbing, not bearing. Putting poly bushings in will alter where things sit, particularly if an alignment has been done with worn bushings. I'm thinking it should affect camber more than anything but I suppose it could have an effect on the direction the wheels point as well...

I started thinking of the alignment to the worn bushings as well last night, thanks for the confirmation as it made sense to me.

122_Canuck wrote:
Define scrubbing? What is the difference between the DS and PS if you measure the sway endlinks to the tire? Did you move the suspension through its full travel with the wheels off? Is the brake dragging on the DS? What shape were the wheel bearings in (repacked?)...if you need a set of eyes, let me know.

The outside shoulder of the PS tire was dark black after ~ 10-15 km. I will get a measurement on this. I don't remember moving the suspension without wheels on. I'm thinking the brake might be dragging on the DS. No history from the PO on bearings and I haven't done it since we have owned it. I'll give you a call, you can probably figure this out in seconds in person.

Ugly Duck wrote:
Of course it would change toe. If the camber is altered by the compliance of the bushings, the balljoints get closer together or further apart. Without adjusting the tie-rods to match, it's going to toe in or out.

Poly bushings DO transmit more road noise to the cabin, though. Is that what you're hearing?

If your brakes pulse all of a sudden and you're getting bearing noise, I would say you goofed on reassembly somewhere, or something that was on its way out finally let go.

I definitely notice more noise on coarse pavement on smooth it's fine. The noise I am hearing gets louder as you increase speed, but like Dale said it could just be the scrubbing noise. I guess that's where I'm stumped is did something let go, or did I mess up the install. It's a high miler with little history being worked on by a nOOb, anythings possible. :lol: Thanks for all of the comments, looks like a job for Dr. Pushrod.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 am 

Just a quick update...no rubbing on the outside of the tires, just positive camber (visible) and the howl was a rather crunchy set of wheel bearings. I've never seen the hard chrome plating on the bearings turn into sparkles like that.

Just a note of caution to all - these were my old struts and came from Dale's silver wagon with rebuilt front suspension. I think there was about 10K Km's on these bearings and that's about all I know. This is the third set of Chinese wheel bearings I've had experience with and they were all bad.

Here are my observations. I found that the cone bores were all ground as were the cone faces, but once again, the all important radius were rough forgings and not finished. Remember, these are critical to the proper function of a tapered roller bearing as they are meant to be loaded laterally (ie against the cone face not the bore) and if that radius is not to spec, then the bearing will hang on some part of the spindle and not work correctly.

The sparkles were the shards of chrome plating from the rollers. The rollers were all visibly pitted and in poor condition (sorry Jim - free parts!). The wheel bearings for these cars are all standard parts available at most bearing stores or at your local NAPA etc. Pay the extra few dollars for the SKF or Timken bearings and don't accept some random made in China brand. Check the bearing before accepting it and make sure that all three areas (bore, face, radius) are ground and have the same surface finish. This is a sign of a quality bearing. Also change the cups when you change the cones.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:56 pm 

Craig,thanks for the help Friday and the post above. Between Silver and NAPA I have everything but one inner seal (coming Tuesday) all SKF to redo both sides.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]