Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Mercedes crushed by falling rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:48 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Had an interestiing near miss incident on Highway 5 north of Kamloops yesterday. Driving through Fish Hook canyon between Mclure and Barriere noticed the Mercedes SUV in the rear view mirror behind us spinning out of control. Realizing this was a bad one I pulled a U-turn and headed back to find the Mercedes crushed and the road littered with rock another 200 m back. As we were the first on the scene we called 911 and started first aid (note to self pack the good first aid kit next time!!!).

The driver, totally in shock, had already staggered out of the car and collapsed against the barrier. His wife was not so lucky as a jagged edged piece of rock the size of a small cantaloupe came through the windshield hitting her in the hand. Her hand was split open to the bone between 2 fingers back past the knuckle, she is going to have some work ahead of her as it really looked bad... Her husband was complaining of a sore back but didn't appear to have any other injuries.

As always these types of incidents bring out the best and the worst in our fellow human beings. Had 2 vehicles, the worst being a logging truck, that just didn't want to wait and squeezed through between the wrecked car and me attending the driver along the barrier I literally had to pull my feet in to keep from being run over!!! Having enough of that I pulled the 240 up to the edge of the scene until emergency services arrived which took forever.

The attached link is the Kamloops TV station account of the accident. After the ambulances had left we gave our statement to the RCMP when the TV guy started to try and interview us which we declined. By this time we were drained and ready to just get going again so we missed out on our 20 seconds of fame :shrug:

http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=3461

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

Last edited by woodenshoes on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
grammar

Post subject: Re: Mercedes crushed by falling rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:02 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Cudo's to you guys for turning back to help. =D> Glad that it was not you that got nailed.
Sadly I am not surprised about the idiots not wanting to wait for a clear roadway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Damn, that's terrible news (about the people on both sides) - Kudo's for being there to help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Thanks guys, was glad we could give assistance. Now I need to get someone in the emergency services line of work to help get it all out of my head...

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:15 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

Scary, I've driven that road so many times, and have seen rocks on the road almost every time. Glad you were there to help, I was once first on scene of 2 semi's hitting head on. Glad your incident turned out better.

Jordan

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]