Change font size
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wiring almost done
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:36 pm 
Cams + Headers

Who's familiar with wiring in 740's? Mine's an 88 with the B230FT....I don't know if that's LH2.2, LH2.4, jetronic...or whatever...I'm sure one of you do though.

I just about finished installing that Wiring harness that Athal sold me back in the summer. I just need to splice on some ring terminals to the grounds that were cut off. I have a question though....there's a single black wire that comes out of the harness just below the intake manifold and runs to the front just below timing cover. It's snipped as well, so I was wondering what it's for. Anyone have a clue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know, but does this mean that you ACTUALLY MIGHT PARTICIPATE in the AutoX? :)

- Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:52 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hahahah, I am postorz nowww!!!on1!!

It's LH 2.2 Jetronic by the way. 99% sure I pulled the harness out of an '88 as well, but they should be identical from '85-89.

Black wire- Can't you just double check it against your old harness? My only guess otherwise is the oil pressure warning light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:40 pm 

I just did the engine swap on my 760, and the only thing up there is indeed the oil pressure warning light. On my car it's terminated right behind the alternator and hooks up with a wire that runs from the switch, under the crank, and up behind the alt bracket. My car's harness was hacked by the PO, though, so I can't trust it totally.

The only "single wire" pieces are the temp gauge sender, oil pressure sender, and on the 760 a block temp sender for the climate control unit. All others end at a two or three wire plug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:42 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Gotta be the oil pressure sender, unless that`s already accounted for.

Wonder if this will go in the right place; can't remember what the "subject" was...

Oh look, it worked. Editing works too. This is so exciting.

8) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Matt, if you swapped engines, and have a locking diff in there... does that mean we'll see the ugly duckling sideways soon? Like... really see you drive, and not just sort of toddle around in the city? :)

- Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:38 pm 
Cams + Headers

So I finished up the harness tonight. The car's now running. I haven't had time to clean up the garage enough to get the car out yet. The black wire....well it goes in to a pile of sludge around the front, so I didn't feel like following it any further. I looks like it's going towards the AC compressor, so I'm not too worried about it....it's spliced back in anyhow.

So I'd have to say, yes I will be at the auto-x this time!!

I also found a set of browntops at PYP today, so I might be pushing 16-18lbs of boost for the event. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:50 pm 
Cams + Headers

So, I took the car out and it decided to puke coolant everywere....I already mentioned it in the auto-x thread.

Anyhow, does anyone know if there's a frost plug on the exhaust side, close to the tranny, right about where the downpipe goes? That's where the coolant is leaking from. It's definately below the head, so I don't think it's the HG.

I'll get a better look this weekend. Also, my temp gauge isn't working. Wasn't working before either. Does anyone have a spare temp sensor that I could grab? I don't have a clue if I over heated before the coolant issue. It would be nice to keep an eye on it this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:18 pm 

Yup, there's a plug, usually where the block heater goes, right behind the exhaust manifold, a couple actually.

I think i have a spare sender somewhere, i'll try and remember to look when i get home tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:01 pm 
Cams + Headers

I managed to get under the car earlier this evening. The leak is coming from the edge of the block heater. I tried to get it out, but it looks like the bolt in the center of it is partially covered by the socket. does the bolt have to come out to remove it?

Once it's out, is there a gasket behind it that I'll need to replace? It looks like there's a lot of calcium deposits around the edge, so I'm guessing that it was leaking for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:33 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Leak around the block heater is very common. In my 1989 740TI I tried 4 different block heaters and none would seal (I have installed hundreds of block heaters and never had a problem). I believe that the frost plug holes may become oval shaped as the block seasons.

The only way I could stop the leak was to reinstall a frost plug and forego a block heater

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:51 am 
Cams + Headers

I think that's what I'll do. Can I pickup a frost plug from a parts store, or do I need to get to a dealer for that?

Also, does anyone know how the heater comes out? Do I just pry it out, or is that bolt actually holding it in? I want to try and fix it tonight, so I need to pick up parts today if any are needed.

Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I might actually be driving this car on a regular basis for once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:52 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
The frost plugs are unique to Volvo, you could try a parts store but Valentine would definitly have them.

The bolt in the middle does hold the heater in. There are 2 methods, either a "V" shaped clamp (as in the picture ) which speads to hold the heater in as the bolt is tightened, to remove this type loosen the bolt but try not to take it right out, it will usually get stiff at the end of the threads because they are distirted to prevent taking the bolt out (but I know Raz would not have any troubles removing it :D )

The second method is very similar but uses a straight bar that you manouver from one side to the other to get it past the lip of the hole. In both cases loosen the bolt and pry slightly to pop the heater out, then you may have to do a little juggling to remove it completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:15 am 
Site Admin

Volvord wrote:
...(but I know Raz would not have any troubles removing it :D )

Hehe, that made my evening! ... Speaking of which, I just repaired my 20+ degrees of toe out by pulling the FRAME (not tierod) but FRAME on my tercel with the following: An old suzuki, a long tube of steel, and an old old warn winch :)

Tadaa, frame fixed, random things welded onto it for "strenght" hehe, and my tierod .. is surprisingly fine :D

Meh, whatever - lets hope the tercel explodes.

sorry about the thread hijack, Eakin - if you need some brute force getting shit apart, let me know ;)

-Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:03 pm 
Cams + Headers

Meh, if the frame's straight now, then who cares how you did it. :lol:

So, I didn't get a chance to get my block heater out yet, but I have to wait until next week for parts. I didn't want to spend money on a new block heater, so I just decided to put a frost plug in. I couldn't find a 40mm plug at the couple of parts stores I went to, so I had to order one from the dealer. It was under $5, but it's coming from Ontario. Blah! I just want to get this thing done.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next