Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: fuel pump noise in 86 245? stumped...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm 
Bone stock

so i got some weird intermittent whining (pretty quiet but definately hearable at idle) that comes on and off every second or so, sometimes she JUST about stalls out. I went to the junk yard, got an auxillary pump (in tank) and main fuel pump, swapped those out and the same thing, changed fuel filter and it got slightly better (only slightly, barely noticeable). 1896 245, injected b230f. the only strange thing is that i have both fuel pumps wired directly through a switch for the last 3 years, no relays. its the weirdest thing, maybe someone has heard of this and knows exactly where the problem is coming from. i sometimes notice that the sound, which comes right where the main pump and fuel filter sits, gets a tiny bit louder for a second when i sit at a light or something and then it does the "almost stall" thing while accelerating out of first gear (sometimes, one out of twenty times). I hope i havent forgot any info, its a manual (4 on the floor with overdrive) if that changes anything. oh, and the problem makes the car bounce way worse when i just let off the gas, everyone knows the bounce right? anyway, enough of me talking, please please please help, the first person to lead me in the right direction gets the official "most amazing volvo wizard" ever!

ohh, and thanks to the guy i met at the partsource in 17th ave, i didnt catch your name but you clearly know alot!! everyone go see him!

thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: fuel pump noise in 86 245? stumped...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:31 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Just thinking out loud here.... Are you sure your tank is venting properly?On mine it would appear to vent somewhat through the cap,and also a really skinny vent pipe just in front of the tank,underneath,(I sometimes wonder if this is enough? yours maybe differant as mine was originally a diesel) When it is running crappy try loosening the gas cap,see if it improves?? Also,maybe the intank is working, but not working properly? this can make the main pump work much harder (noisier) I'm sure I had this problem,bought a new main pump,as it was noisy and leaning out at wot...replaced pump,still noisy and still leaning out (this was with a tank pump that was only 3 yrs old).
My solution...removed both, and replaced with a single intank (aeromotive 340lph)...the pump cost me about $160 new, is really easy to do in a 245,took about an afternoon,and so far it is quieter,and no issues,although it did tend to sputter a bit autocrossing on a 1/4 tank(put that down to the pump being a little bit overkill,and running the tank sump dry)...easily fixed with a full tank of gas!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

That's classic in-tank pump issues. Did you test the pump before installing? You did leave the filter sock in place, and it looked healthy? The hose from the pump to the pickup tube was in good shape? Are you sure power is getting back to the pump, and it's grounding properly?

I've got $5 that says the car runs perfectly with a full tank of gas, and gets worse and worse the further below half a tank you get.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 am 

Both pumps, yikes, that's some expensive attempted fixin!

I'll add that if it's not what one of the other guys has mentioned, the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) could be suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:04 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Something else....re-reading your post you say it is noisier at idle,and you are wired through a switch..no relays? could it be that your not getting enough voltage? alternator/battery weak?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 am 

I'll add my two bits. The rest has been covered (sounds like you switched out bad for bad - JY's are a source for good stuff and junk) and Frepea's concern is right on the money - I prefer to run things on relays as the switch is often not rated for the amps that your putting through it continuously. Get the grounds (all of them) cleaned up (disassemble, clean with a wire brush, reassemble) and get the relays back running the power.

Some of this is chasing your tail - but if you do it systematically (start with Matt's and Athal's recommendations re fuel volume and pressure) then get on to the electrical you will have it sorted faster than if you chase around after it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 am 
Bone stock

good call guys, i thought about the tank level so i topped er off, no change. I have that old in tank pump laying around, so i'll inspect it real good and install it, its just weird cuz the sound is coming from the area of the main pump. although the switch isnt rated for 40amp, it IS rated for 30... and has been working real good, i actually swapped that one out also in exchange for the same model switch i've had for the past 3 years. i'll make sure i got the necessary 12-13v at each pump and see if that's the problem. clean grounds is a good tip. i smelled the fuel regulator and there isn't a gassy smell so i doubt the diaphragm is broken. would that possibly make this problem happen? unfamiliar with regulators.

thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:04 pm 
Bone stock

did some digging and you guys were right, the in tank pump is getting zero power, just a patch fix for now and i'll fix it when it isnt 11pm. haha. you guys are AMAZING!!! this forum is WAAAAAY better than volvoforums. thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:22 am 

alphared11 wrote:
you guys are AMAZING!!! this forum is WAAAAAY better than volvoforums. thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

The collective knowledge on this forum rivals any out there. We are fortunate to have the group we do...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 pm 

Pylon wrote:
alphared11 wrote:
you guys are AMAZING!!! this forum is WAAAAAY better than volvoforums. thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

The collective knowledge on this forum rivals any out there. We are fortunate to have the group we do...

And Dale is just talking about Matt... :lol: :lol: I don't remember anything.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]