Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: signal and hazard problem
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:54 am 
Bone stock

I recently bought a 1997 850 turbo wagon, love the car but yesterday I had an issue when the car would not start and the hazards came on blinking at the same time. After about 10 minutes it started but the with a couple of problems, first the turn signals would not work, and the inside hazard lights were on solid, and the outsite indicator lights also stayed on. Drove it home turned it off and the lights were still on. Checked the fuses and all looked good, removed the fuse for the hazard lights and the lights did go off, but i have no signal lights. I am new to volvos but figured it may be the flasher relay but I cannot locate it, checked the manual I got with the car and no mention of it, went online and found something that stated it was behind the harzard button in the car. Before I start mucking about was hoping someone could confirm that for me, and is it relatively easy to replace. And after describing the symptoms, is it just the relay or do I have other issues? a little concerned it did not start for ten minutes, it has started fine since though I am still without hazards or signal lights (haven't checked the brake lights just yet). If it is just a relay I might be able to resolve it myself, if not, then I will take it in to Bert and Jacks and let them take a look. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: signal and hazard problem
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:19 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Sometimes, it is the alarm for the car that's going off and the siren itself doesn't work anymore. Usually you can't get the car to start at all though... To turn off the alarm, just get out of the car, put the key into the door and lock/unlock the car once or twice. Then go on your way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:33 pm 
Bone stock

I learnt not to believe everything you see on the web, I now know that the flasher relay is not behind the hazard switch, seemed very odd. Now that I found it I am sure I can replace it after I purchase a new one, would appreciate any info on the best places to get parts for it. But I am still perplexed as to the original problem where the car would not start and the hazard flashers started blinking, I mean it wasn't turning over at all for about 10 minutes, then it just started but with the hazard lights and outside front indicators stuck on, though hazards were not flashing any more. I have multiple keys and tried them all with no success for the 10 minutes, turned the wheels and tried, tried it in neutral, and nothing. It has started just fine since but I am at a complete loss as to what happened and why.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Like I said... 850s will sometimes have their alarm going and the only symptoms are flashing hazards and a no start situation. It can happen for no reason. Getting out of the car and lock/unlocking (making sure to turn the key fully to both directions, which is probably why it was going off in the first place) will reset it and allow you to start the car.

Or, you could have some other problem, but don't blow it off and replace things that aren't needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:43 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Any chance this is related to the infamous abs relay failure?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 pm 
Bone stock

thank you KLR142 for the info, I should have mentioned that I did try what you had said, but I still have no indicators or hazard lights, and the car is starting OK now. Being new to Volvo I am not familiar with the abs relay failure. Thought I would replace the flasher relay, which is relatively cheap, and see if that at least fixes the signal light problem and then from there take it in to see what could have caused the problem with it not starting, is that a by-product of the abs relay failure?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
Bone stock

guess I spoke too soon about it starting just fine now, the last couple of times the Tracs on and ABS light are on solid and the key won't turn until I put it in neutral, then it does start and the indicators go off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I think if you google volvo abs module failure you'll come up with some hits. I can't remember the years affected, but it's starting to sound like it might be your problem. Solution is pretty simple, involves removing the module and soldering some bad joints.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

The ABS module is ONE of your problems, but should have nothing to do with the hazards/signals or starting issues... I've never seen the ABS problem related to the others in the past 4 years I've been working at the V Shop.

The fact that the key wouldn't turn(???) until you put the car into neutral adds even more possibilities to the bag. PNP/Gear position sensor issue? Ignition switch issue? Shift lock micro switch issue? Something else? :-\

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:58 pm 
Bone stock

thank you everyone for the feedback, it turns out I had a short in the wiring, not enough to blow a fuse but enought to cause all the symptoms I stated. JUst 2 wires that were worn out and would contact each other trigerring all this, this was resolved about 3 days ago and all has been fine since. thanks again, appreciate it

Forgot to update this, I don;t think it was the 2 wires after all, started happening again, as KLR142 mentioned. when it happened again I locked all the doors and unlocked them everything went back to normal. Have done this 2 more time with the same successful result.

Last edited by rodman on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
update

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Glad to hear you found the problem! Which two wires and where, just in case it's a somewhat common issue? :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]