Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: solid lifter shim kits??? anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:35 pm 
Bone stock

I got my ol 245 (86) and it feels and sounds like it desperately needs a valve clearance adjustment or whatever you would call that, either way, the lifters have the little lifter shims and i need to know where to get a kit with various sizes so i can sit down for a couple hours without running back and forth to the part store. also that lifter depressor (again, probably not what its called but you understand). ipd doesnt seem to have one, wnyone know where i could get a kit? anyone have a kit lying around?!? thanks guys (and girls).

Post subject: Re: solid lifter shim kits??? anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:58 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Are you in Calgary?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm 
Bone stock

yes sir! (or maam). in the north west.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:40 pm 

I'm in the SE. I've got a full shim kit with valve depressor and shim removal tool. You are welcome to borrow it as long as you replace the shims you end up using...

What makes you think you need to re-shim it? These engines rarely have issues with cam wear or valve recession.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:47 pm 
Bone stock

well, she sounds like a tractor and i talked to the original owner and he never had the valves re-shimmed, shes almost 400k old so i feel it could use the attention. not that i was gonna tackle it really soon. but anyway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 am 

Sounds like a tractor...that's about right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:04 pm 

with a lame M cam, it should be relatively quiet. It's worth checking, especially if it hasn't been done since the warranty expired. If anything to clear out the pieces of valve hushers that are under there. Makes a difference to power and smoothness if the clearances are set right as well, and it's pretty simple if you know what you're doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:26 pm 
Bone stock

correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that the valve hushers were under the lifter "cup" wouldn't i need to take the cam out to be able to get the "cups" out? you just take the hushers right out? no replacement husher? is it a big deal taking the cam out? probably a good time for a timing belt replace then eh? do i need to worry about a cam position sensor or anything? performance gain would be a really really nice bonus. Thanks guys, gotta keep my ol girl purring. sorry about all the questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 pm 

alphared11 wrote:
correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that the valve hushers were under the lifter "cup" wouldn't i need to take the cam out to be able to get the "cups" out? you just take the hushers right out? no replacement husher? is it a big deal taking the cam out? probably a good time for a timing belt replace then eh? do i need to worry about a cam position sensor or anything? performance gain would be a really really nice bonus. Thanks guys, gotta keep my ol girl purring. sorry about all the questions.

Bubbles is freshly married and sometime his head is elsewhere. You are absolutely correct, in order to get the hushers out you must remove the bucket which means the cam has to come out. If you want to pull the cam out, that's fine. A new timing belt wouldn't be a horrible idea. If you've got a manual transmission, there are other cams you can swap in that will wake the old girl up. The stock M cam makes the best bottom end torque and fuel economy so if you have an automatic, there is no point in swapping to a better performing cam. The T cam is a slight upgrade and the A cam is an even better choice. I think I have one of each laying around in the garage...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm 
Bone stock

ohh wow, I definately want performance but am very weary of fixing something that aint broke. i keep her down in the rev range, 4000 revs (maaaaybe 4250) so if the m cam is best for low end and economy then i'll stick with it. unless there is one that is even better for economy. haha, if i can gain a tiny bit of performance, that would be great, even just a little less tractor sounding. so do those hushers come right out? no replacement?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 am 

Sorry! I usually just pull the cam anyway, it's only 10 nuts and loosening the timing belt tensioner. Changing the timing belt requires removing the main pulley, which is a bit more involved, but R&R'ing the cam is easy.

yes, the hushers are underneath as dale confirmed- there are replacements which you probably don't need. Once you measure your clearances, if they are way off, then getting them back to spec will probably quiet things down plenty, or you can add the hushers to be sure (AFTER you've set the clearances!), though there is some debate about how long they actually last. Sounds like the M cam is best for you too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]