Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Project Hot Pants, AKA the Anti-Project
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Well, I figured it was high time I started a thread about my new car. It looks like she'll be sticking around now for a while, and with the Smurf gone, I now have some extra room in the garage, and a bit more time to focus on other things.

For those that don't know, in the fall I purchased a 1990 745T with M46 from a Valentine Volvo tech in Calgary. The car had been purchased from Valentine and owned by someone who worked at Valentine since day one. After a bit of a process, and some last-minute speedy driving from Matt, I managed to land the car. A huge thanks to Matt for his help in that.

The car was very clean for something with 300,000kms. There is zero rust that I can see, although there has likely been a respray on certain panels at some point. Some of the panel gaps are iffy, so I'm sure there's been a few small accidents. The interior is near perfect, and everything appears to have been pretty well maintained....Volvo battery, correct filters, clean engine bay etc. etc. It's been lowered on IPD springs. It even came the correct mats, a cargo mat, with an okay stereo, summers and winters, and a few spare parts. I was stoked, but a little hesitant to buy anything but a 240. I've liked a few 700 series cars over the years, and driven plenty, but never owned one. But since then, I've warmed up to this one a bit. It's much quieter, faster, better on gas, easier to drive, better on the highway, and doesn't have horrible fumes pouring out of the hood. :lol: I've just had to get used to the wacky seat belts, a bad armrest which I've since replaced, and driving around feeling a little less like I'm in a really really cool car. It just doesn't have the presence of the Smurf sadly.

At any rate, besides some detailing, a new windshield, putting my rack on, and a new armrest, I've done nothing to the car for a change. It's kinda a relief. So here's some photos.

After I first got her home.

Winters.

NOS rear bumper cover.

Spare 530 head.

After a good detail.

Rear seats looked like they've never been used. And the tailgate carpet is near perfect.

Plans are to do basically nothing...thus, the "Anti-Project." It needs new struts/shocks, a hazard switch, and maybe some fog or driving lights. The bumpers are quite grey, so they need to be re-blackened. The transmission grinds going into reverse most of the time, and is a little tough to throw the rest of the time. I'll flush the fluid to see if that helps. The idle is rough at certain points, and nearly stalls at others, and there's a bit of a hesitation at certain revs, so I'm guessing there's a vacuum leak, or perhaps a bad intake gasket. A good stage zero will help as well. Beyond that, I might bump the boost up. Hopefully the rest of the time I can be working on the YROG!

Oh, and the name....well...my co-worker won the contest to pick the name. Black leather/red paint=something sexy. Thus the Hot Pants. I hate it already.

Post subject: Re: Project Hot Pants, AKA the Anti-Project
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm 
Bone stock

So nice. Totally jealous over here, wish I could find something like that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:49 am 
First volvo in outer space

Nice car, bad name. :lol:

Seriously though, looks really nice Greg, congrats. =D>

ETA: wOOt, 1K'th post!!!

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 pm 

"Hot Pants...what's that sound?
Here she comes, full blast with the windows down.
Hot Pants, burnin' down the avenue.
Model citizen, zero discipline...."

And now she's got a theme song...my apologies to Van Halen and the obvious mutilation of their lyrics (there is no top to go down on a wagon).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm 

You coulda just gone with James Brown...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am 

Actually, I think James Brown is a pretty good name!

Finally got around to doing some routine maintenance on this car yesterday. It's been running rougher as of late, so I started with some basics. Opened the airbox to find a filter COMPLETELY clogged full of dirt. Never seen anything like it. I assumed it would have been new due to being owned by a Valentine mechanic, but apparently not! I took the time to remove the thermostat in the air box, block off the hot side intake, remove the baffles, foam, and 1" restrictor, and drop a K&N in. Immediately its running better, has more power, and makes lots more noise. So that was easy. We'll see if that was the only issue, but a proper stage 0 still needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 pm 

Got more done this weekend. Oil is changed, transmission fluid topped up (was down about 3/4 of a litre), swapped on the Hydras, did a full interior clean, and some exterior cleaning. Car is running better, but still not perfect. I've got some tune-up bits on order, so we'll see if those help once they arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am 

Well, the tune-up happened...plugs, wires etc. Was running quite well.

But the car is now SOLD to a lucky new owner in the club. A new car will be on its way to me hopefully soon! :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]