Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Clinking sound coming from rear of my RWD Volvo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:22 pm 
Bone stock

1992 240 with 100,00 miles.

After replacing my fuel filter(hopefully not related) I noticed a clinking noise from the rear of my car when accelerating. It gets louder when turning and accelerating. You either have to drive by a wall or stick you head out of the window to really hear it.

It sounds as if I left a tool precariously hanging just off the drive shaft and when I turn it hits the big steel pipe.

I have had a leaky diff for some time and am wondering if at some point fluid levels were low or contaminated enough to cause damage?

I have looked under the car and it seems as if the drive shaft and the plate where the fuel filter(what I touched the day before) is all tight and normal.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Clinking sound coming from rear of my RWD Volvo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Sounds are the most difficult things to diagnose without actually being present, and a bit tough to diagnose sometimes given ideal circumstances. When you say "clinking" I think metallic rattling, which could be anything in your exhaust coming apart, or it could be something come loose on the body. I've seen the aluminium bumpers shatter or corrode loose, making noises from clinks to clunks. There's a spring holding the e-brake cables up off the rear axle and if it comes apart, the cables can bump on the axle, which won't necessarily make a clink noise. The sway bar and shock mounts are notorious for making noise on 240s, but these are usually rattles felt and heard in the body, nothing as faint as what you're describing.

By your description I'm going to guess at the driveshaft. If you can get up under the car, I'd say go for a drive and then get the car on ramps or a jack, and feel your u-joints. If one of them is smoking, burn-your-hand hot, you've got a problem. A bad joint can make a squeak noise that could be thought of as a clink, in the right light. This would be engine load related (louder with more throttle) and the speed would be related to the vehicle speed.

My second guess, because you didn't actually SAY that it was vehicle speed related, would be your exhaust. Any of the mufflers or the catalytic converter could come apart inside, any of the hangers or clamps could break, etc. This could happen at one engine speed or over a pretty broad range, but the volume or frequency of noise wouldn't depend on engine speed or load very much - it would be there all the time.

Good luck!
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Bone stock

So ... it has not magically disappeared like I had hoped. I have noticed it getting worse and not just when turning the wheel any more.

It is speed related and happens more consistently with heavy throttle.

Could it also be the Center Bearing support for the drive shaft?

As I have tried to replace my pinion seal once and failed I think I am going to get someone to perform this repair.

Anyone one have a garage they recommend for this kind of work?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'd take it to Paul at Bert and Jacks and have them look at it...you need to get under there with a rubber mallet and give things a whack and see what jingles. Grab that drive shaft and give it a good tug and see if it rattles. Centre bearing can do this. As Matt's said, could be anything.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]