Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Project XC70 AKA The Shortest Project Thread Ever
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 pm 
First volvo in outer space

volvoshredder wrote:
Ah, what the heck. Just posted formal complaints with AMVIC and the BBB over our man at Trucks Unlimited. Can't hurt.

Good for you, let that A-hole know he didn't win his passive aggressive pissing contest.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Yep. Doubt anything will come of it, but it cleared my mind out a bit which made it all worthwhile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:29 pm 

Well, finally talked to a guy from ICBC today. My chiropractor discharged me last week, and I haven't had any pain for a while now. So I figured it was time to talk to the guy. I told him the injury was WAD 2, and that I was feeling better. He offered me the max under the Alberta cap (since the accident took place in Alberta) of $4,725. What confused me is that he had zero knowledge that I was even seeing a chiropractor, or even as to what kind of injury I had. Apparently my insurance company pays that stuff, and can only release the info about the injury to ICBC with my consent. Basically I could have made up a story about my injury, and unless the guy was suspicious, he would have no way of knowing I was telling the truth. Crazy! I flat out asked him how they can do that with zero accountability. He said he'll request the info be released only if he suspects something. System is made to be abused big time.

At any rate, I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on the dollar amount. He claims that $4,725 is the cap, which sounds right. Is there any point in pushing the issue? The thing that pisses me off more than the back injury is that as someone with some anxiety issues, my anxiety is much higher now when I'm driving in the snow. And of course the stress of everything that we went through sucks. I have no idea on how this works. Can anyone with more experience weigh in?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:36 am 

It pisses you off, but did you see someone for the anxiety and incur costs? All the time you hear about big law cases where rediculous money is awarded for "pain and suffering", but that's not the way it works normally. Thank goodness, or imagine what insurance would ACTUALLY cost!

I know you're not looking for the big dollars because you're not that kind of guy. You ARE the kind of guy who expects a little humanity, for the other party to really want to show that they're sorry and they care. Insurance companies only do that by paying bills, which is probably what pisses you off more. They probably might have paid more if you were seeing a doctor (psych) for your added anxiety, but if it's not bad enough that you can deal with it on your own, it's really a good thing.

More money in your pocket wouldn't help you deal with what's coming around that dark snowy curve the next time you head to Fernie. Other people might say that, but how much is enough? That's why there's a cap on it. You may be able to submit the chiro and massage receipts through your work insurance if you don't say that it was caused by a car accident, but now we're edging into fraud territory.

$4725 would cover Roberta and myself for two years of our chiro, and we each go every 2 weeks. I think it's not too bad, but it's not going to compare to the Mcdonalds coffee lid fiasco.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:56 am 

Chiro and massage are already covered by my insurance company. Apparently all the companies have an agreement whereupon each of them covers their own clients for injury treatments up to a certain point. So even though I wasn't at fault, my insurance company, not ICBC covers 21 treatments over the course of 90 days, some of which I've used. The $4,725 is just the amount they provide me when I sign the sheet saying I won't sue. Am I seeing someone for my anxiety? On an ongoing basis yes, and will be seeing someone in the next week for said reason. I look at it this way: if I had a let's say an existing illness or injury that was made much worse by an accident, I would assume there would be compensation for it. My anxiety is the same thing; an illness that pre-existed this accident and was made worse. I have (full-disclosure here) three diagnosed anxiety disorders which have been exacerbated by the accident. I seek treatment and take medication for this stuff regularly.

You're right...I am looking for a bit of humanity. If the driver of the other car phoned me and said "dude, I'm sorry I was driving like an idiot, I'm sorry for the pain I've caused" all would be well. But this is the system we have to work with, which stinks. If I got a lawyer, I'd hate myself for the rest of my life. I'm already on the verge of hating myself, which is why I'm asking the question of what's reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:57 am 

I gotcha, and I agree that if your situation is made worse by an accident, the insurance should cover the costs. I think that since you've got a pre-existing condition that you're seeking regular scheduled medical help for, and you have to make additional visits as a result of the accident, I think it's within your right to submit those bills to the insurance company. PTSD can last for years even with treatment, and you may need to legally chase it with ICBC if you're going to have to spend $1000/month or more to treat that on top of your regular bills.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, you know that.

I assume you haven't settled with ICBC yet. Talk to your doctor this week and see what he/she says about a diagnosis and a recouperative path, and you can start the negotiations with ICBC towards covering that. If the max is $4725 and they won't go any higher than that witout suing, I doubt you want to pursue that brain damage and open yourself up to even more stress.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm 

No definitely not. Not worth the stress to make a big deal out of this. I talked to my friend whose wife is a doctor in B.C., and has experience with this. She says ICBC might be less likely to compensate for someone with a pre-existing condition, as it becomes harder to prove anything has changed. I'm sure my psych will have experience with this stuff too, but that makes sense to me. So I might be out of luck there. This definitely isn't PTSD...just an increase in what I already had. In my mind, the mental stuff is way worse than any back pain I had, and I just want them to acknowledge that. Currently I don't pay anything for the psych visits , so that's all good, and I wouldn't need coverage for that.

Yeah, I know you're playing devils advocate. That's why I wanted to run it by someone here, to question my thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 am 

I've got little to offer, but I've been thinking about this since you posted. I think Matt's right, talk to your doc and see what they say and then talk to ICBC. I think in a no-fault insurance scenario, they have a max that they will pay out because of way that this form of insurance works. My understanding is that they just cut you a check regardless and make sure you don't sue. This averages out to being less expensive than what they used to do when people would sue and get crazy settlements.

For example, my brother (who lives in Victoria) was T-boned and almost killed about 15 years ago, and despite physical damage that makes his work very difficult (he's a gardener), they cut him a check for $20 K on top of fixing his car...it may have covered the physio he's still taking all this time later. Of course he thought he'd won the lottery and blew the money...but that's another story. He can't go back and say that he's still suffering as a result of the crash.

I'm all for gathering all the council I need (including lawyers) in advance of signing a single thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:39 pm 
First volvo in outer space

My .02 FWIW. When I first got sick I was in denial that I was disabled, thta's for people in wheelchairs. I also thought I was going to get better sooner than later. By trying to do the "right" thing ie: tough it out, don't make a claim, I opened the door for my insurance company to fuck me over, which they did. Even though they finally agreed (after a boatload of diagnostic evidence) that I was in fact unable to work, they denied coverage because I was late filing a claim due to my wanting to do the "right" thing.

Bottomline is this has affected you already, and may become worse in the future through no fault of yours. As you noted pre-existing conditions made worse by current events is hard to prove and you can bet they will use it against you. My advice is to NOT do the "right" thing and cover your ass every which way you can. Not saying you should screw the system, but this is not the time to take the moral high ground. It's not personal to them, it's business and they don't want to pay you any more than they have to, if at all.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:11 am 

Thanks for the input Craig and Jim. Yeah Craig, they just cut you a cheque no matter what. When I first found out that's what they did, it kinda blew my mind. Jim: I seem to remember talking to you about what happened in your situation. That's rough. But thanks for sharing and for the input. I've got an appointment on Tuesday to see my psych. ICBC has requested a scanned copy of what he says, and will take it from there. So we'll see.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7