Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project XC70 AKA The Shortest Project Thread Ever
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:06 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Thanks Rabin. Appreciate the offer of chatting on the phone. If I have a bunch of questions, I might take you up on that. I had thought of the ground clearance thing being better on the early car, and its kinda a bonus. Good to know the price isn't too out of line.

Finally heard back from the seller, and checked the Carproof. Here's the lowdown.

-1 owner car. Purchased in late November 2013 by current owner, but not driven much.
-selling because they bought the 2006 Ocean Race XC70
-$6,500 insurance claim in 2006. Owner texted original owner and found out it was a front left collision with a parked car. If the airbags went off, that could account for the huge cost. But still kinda scary.
-was inspected at Valentine prior to purchase
-after purchase guy had full 96k service done, water pump, timing belt, front brakes done. Spent about $2,600.
-according to inspection, needs engine mounts, battery wiring, turbo drain seals leaking, upper spring seats, A/C compressor discharge hose, RF sway bar link. Mechanic told him this stuff could all wait, so he didn't get it done. Quote was for the rest was around $2,200.
-transmission was acting up, so Valentine did a bunch of work including software and fluid flush. Didn't solve it so he got the valve body replaced by Transmission Alt Canada to the amount of $2,422.96.
-previous owner was asking 6k when he sold it. Current owner is asking 9k, having spent over 5k in service in the last month.
-has new winters on new steel rims, as well as fairly new summers on stock R rims.

I have a few concerns, but even if I got it for 8k and had to spend another 2 to get it up to spec, that's not too bad. I hope the A/C works. I might upgrade some of the suspension stuff to HD stuff while I'm at it. Good to know the valve body was replaced. But seriously, having just spent 6k on the car, and another 5k on service, this dude is in deep. He said he was planning on keeping it for a long time and that's why he had it all done, with the intention of getting the rest of the stuff done in a little while.

Still seriously considering this. With the amount of info I have, and the amount of work that's been done, it seems fairly low risk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 pm 

Some post accident pics:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 pm 

Personally I wouldn't roll in a car that had seen that kind of damage, at least for a reliable daily driver. Not unless I knew Matt or Craig had fixed it. But that's me.
Not like there aren't other cars that haven't been crashed to choose from, if you can be patient.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:40 pm 

That's my totalled XC, not the R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 am 
First volvo in outer space

:lol: My first thought was that's a lot of damage for a $6500 front end claim, and the color is way off, and it's a P2. :lol: You weren't kidding when you said it took out the whole side of the car.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:41 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

I totalled my R hitting a dear with the LF corner. Hit the deer at ~60km and even my wife was impressed with how solid the car was with that kind of impact. Damage looked minimal - but estimate was for over over 75% value so it was totalled.

They paid out $7500, bought back for $500 (sweet deal), and fixed with used OEM parts including repaint for $2k (I replaced the bits and assembled before repaint)

It's shocking how fast insurance claims add up, so $6k wouldn't be worrisome at all. Bonus in my case was I took a good chunk of surplus and upgraded the car at the same time. ABM headlights and signals, new fogs, new grills, and all the performance bits I have yet to install except for the Snabb intake pipe.

With all that work already done, the car is a steal IMHO. Only thing not addressed is the drive by wire throttle body that can act up. Now you replace the analogue throttle plate sensor on the side with a digital one and its fixed. (I bought the rebuilt ones for $500)

Biggest advice though is to take it for a good test drive. The seats don't look nicer, but if you like long drives the seats are much more comfortable than P2 seats. I find the cockpit more roomy as well.

Rabin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm 

Well, sadly, the R has been ruled out. The current owner appears to have spent a lot of money on mechanical things, but neglected some other cosmetic things. It would appear that the car has been hit at some point in the back as well, so the rear bumper isn't aligned properly. Normally this wouldn't be that big a deal for me, and most of the stuff is easily fixed. But this isn't my project car, and I want something very clean and very nice. My current project car has been neglected long enough, so more work isn't in the cards. If the car was 2k less, I might think about it. But right now, it isn't.

So, I'm back into pursuing the black P2R at Sandy Lane. Brett has been very helpful, and it would appear the price has come down $500. In addition, it sounds like I wasn't the only one asking about the angle gear, so he's decided to do it and the timing belt this week. Carfax and Carproof are both clean with zero claims. Front brakes and thermostat were just done, and winter and summer tires are new. And the car was originally from Victoria, and then West Van, so this is its first snowy winter. It will be going in to Jordan at Volvo of Edmonton this week for the full inspection, and we'll see how things look then. Fingers crossed this one pans out. If I can get it for 15k, I think I'd be one happy camper. Thoughts on the current price? Still seems a little high to me.

Atacama+manual is very good times. If it was an '06, I'd be even happier, but I think I can deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 pm 

Still seems a bit much, getting the TB and angle gear done sure helps though. You mention summer and winter tires being new, if they're both mounted on rims that's starting to look not too bad. You can definitely do better on price if you go south of the border, but there's extra work involved for sure...

It's a long way away but JRL on SS just posted up this 06 ORB with 72K. He's a grumpy old bastard when he posts, but his cars (he's a dealer) are supposed to be some of the best available. Too bad he's so far away (PA).

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... -000-miles

Here's an 05 Titanium/Atacama 6MT with 80K miles/128K km in Portland for comparison at $15.5.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4269413515.html

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 am 

Too bad about the 00' - but I think you're making the right call if it doesn't feel right. Dude is going to take a bath on the car after putting that much money into a 14 year old car that isn't MINT, but once the price comes down someone is going to get one hell of a nice car.

The one thing with the 6sp cars is clutch slave - so make sure you google that and are familiar with it, but I'm sure if Jordan is looking at it you should get the skinny on what it's like.

If the car does check out though - I'm quite certain you'd have no regrets what so ever. The car really is an outstanding car, and when you think of what you're getting for $15K it's pretty astounding - even if it has 160K on the clock.

It's also nice that it's a Canadian car - I'm not a fan of the dual format speedo and all the temp controls in degrees F... Small matters - but I'd love to change them out for metric.

With all the praise though, there are some caveats to be said. Nothing more than an XC with 4C I don't think, but the one downer is needing VIDA-DICE to be able to do simple things. I still have to get my butt in gear to figure out what set up to get as I really want to be able to reset lights and tweak different things with the car without a dealer visit for every little thing. Also not sure about the XC's - but the side hop issue in the R is a little disconcerting at first. I'm hoping some new summer tires help that respect though, as my car has no side hop at all with the winter tires installed.

The negatives really do just fade after a drive though - for a big fat wagon - it sure can dance!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am 

Thanks for those links Jim! Wow...I sure do love the Ocean Race colour. And the 17" wheels do make it look a whole lot better too. Wow. Wish it wasn't so far away. (And about JLR...yeah, crusty indeed. And he's everywhere. Sure does know his stuff though).

The R looks pretty comparable with slightly less miles. The car in Edmonton has two sets of tires, but only one set of 17" Pegs. Seems kinda strange, but I guess I'll be sourcing another set. Wish I could get 18"s though, but then I'd have to sell the tires. We'll see how good they are. Good to know the price isn't too far off though. If there's anything else that needs doing, I'd either get it done right away, or haggle them down more.

I've thought about going south of the border, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle right now. To me, prices need to be significantly better there, or the car needs to be super clean and/or rare to make it worthwhile.

Bean....yeah, with Jordan checking things out, I feel pretty safe. I'm looking forward to trying one out to see how good it is. Having a Canadian car is a bonus, as well as a B.C. car. The side-hop thing is a little concerning. I'm still a little confused as to what that exactly means. My XC with 4C wouldn't stay planted when going over certain bumps, but I seem to recall you saying that's not side hop?

As for the '00, you're right. He's going to take a huge bath financially on that car. Doesn't seem like he cares too much.

One other thing I realized this car needs is the roof rails. Hopefully that's not too much money. I pulled the IPD diff cover, belly pan, door lock pins, as well as the floor mats, cargo cover, and cargo mat out of the XC. So if this one needs anything, I've got it all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm 

Dammit. I'm starting to think finding a new car is going to break me. I'm just crushed. This just never ends.
From Jordan:

"About the R. I'm just finishing with it. I'm going to suggest you pass.
Passenger rear door seal torn
Rad is broke. So fan is just hanging down and te rad has been leaking.
Wrong right fog lamp
Bowed ic and condenser
Air guide is missing
Right bevel gear seals leaking
Silicon between bevel gear and transmission for some reason
Forward control arm bushings split
Rear shocks leaked out
Fronts look original. But it is a quiet car
Rh inner cv boot looks replaced but is covered in grease
Exhaust mani leak at number 1. Fairly common for tem to tick on start up
Pads are 10 and 6mm
Hand brake is sloppy needs adjustment or possibly shoes
Headlamp wiper arms missing bolt covers.
The worst thing. It looks like it has or had oil in the coolant. Also the brake fluid is dark and there is a faint vibration through te pedal and that's what mine did just before the slave exploded.
Sorry."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:12 pm 

pfffttt, what a waste of time a PPI is before buying a used car huh.... :roll: My opinion of Sandy Lane just dropped exponentially as well.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:31 pm 

Wooooooow!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 pm 

PPI by someone you trust is GOLD...

Too bad about the black car, but it's not like you bought it and found out after... And was told you'd be refunded... And booked a flight before you took it back... And then met the ex-husband that says "buyer beware" AFTER you have the ticket home... And then have to fly back the next weekend to drive it home...

Oh wait - that only happens to ME!

There - that should make you feel better about not buying that car. :D

As nasty as my 06' purchase experience was, I had a blast with Dale and Matt, and in the end the car has been everything I wanted in a family car. I figure I still got a good deal on it, but I'm glad I do all my own work going forward.

Rabin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next