Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project XC70 AKA The Shortest Project Thread Ever
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:49 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

How goes the hunt, Gregor?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:19 pm 

Glad you asked Matt. Just landed this earlier this evening!

2007 XC70, 130,000kms, one owner, all dealer service history at Volvo of North Van, only a small fender bender and a vandalism claim, was a trade-in at Volvo of North Van. Fully fully loaded....nav, rear DVD, DSTC, 4C, premium sound, parking sensors, 17" wheels, active bi-xenons, iPod connectivity, roof rails etc. etc. A very kind member of our group looked at it for me on the weekend, and after of bit of haggling, it is MINE! They were asking 18k, but was only able to get them down to 17,500. Didn't come with winters, but they had a set of winter steelies around, and are going to mount up some Gislaveds for a good price for the trip home.

All in including dealer fee and taxes plus winters I'm in for over 20k. The salesman seemed insulted that I was attempting to bargain. More than I wanted to spend, but its exactly what I wanted with zero compromise. It's had a detail, and a full inspection. Coolant flush, motor mount done. Summers are at 90%. My only real complaint is that I asked them to throw in a console cup holder and mud flaps, but they refused. That wasn't that big a deal, but I found out they had pulled the cargo gate out of the car, and when I asked them about it, they wanted to charge me $350 for it. Groan. It was in the car when it arrived at the dealership....it should be left in the car. So that's annoying....at least give me a little something....

Flying out Friday with Laura for the weekend and driving home Monday. Its a relief, but I feel sick having spent that much. I suppose its only 1,500 over the settlement I got, which isn't too bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:05 am 

That's AWESOME! Nice work, and I'm glad you kept looking. This is the "throttle cable" car that we didn't really hear a lot about?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 am 

:lol: Yep, that's the one! Glad I kept looking too. I hope its everything they say it is. Normally the silver would bore me to death, but with those wheels I'm thinking it looks pretty slick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am 

I don't know what all those acronyms mean...but this is great news. DVD, ASC, STFU, WFT, TTYL, DCS, IIRC :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Very nice car! Looks like you got what you wanted, and still close to the price. Did the XC's get the 6sp auto? Did it have a recent transmission fluid flush?

I'm impressed with the dynamic stability control (DSTC) as it does a decent job of preventing slides and such - my wife loves it. First thing I do is disable it. (Push button once to reduce thresholds, but if you turn it off an on - the 3rd or 4th time it turns off the message centre will say anti skid is off. I prefer having a little throttle induced rotation in the winter...

Getting a weekend trip out of it is also a nice perk. Congrats!

Rabin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:32 pm 

Let me know if you have time for a beer, want a rip in the amg, need a lift from the airport, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:27 pm 

Thanks guys! Oh yes...there are many acronyms, and many many more to be sure. EBD, TRACS, uhhh, VVT, CD, ABS....surely there must be more...

Bean, the XC never got the 6 speed sadly. Wish it had. They said all the service was up to date, so I'm going to assume that its had a recent transmission flush. I'll verify this when I get the service records. I too like the DSTC...a bit more piece of mind. I've never tried the R trick of turning it off multiple times...do you know for sure if that works on the XCs? I've definitely noticed in deeper snow that keeping it on is a bad thing. So around town with a bit of snow I'll definitely disengage what I can.

Yup, weekend trip! Wife is excited. Could have had it shipped, but for the same price we can a weekend away and get to go back to my former home which is nice.

Thanks Athal! Would LOOOVE a rip in the AMG if there's time!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 am 

I may be wrong but I believe Volvo specified no transmission fluid change interval, so I'm not sure that it would be part of any regular service. Hopefully they've learned since then that these can't survive without clean blood.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 am 
First volvo in outer space

122_Canuck wrote:
I don't know what all those acronyms mean...but this is great news. DVD, ASC, STFU, WFT, TTYL, DCS, IIRC :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Ugly Duck wrote:
I may be wrong but I believe Volvo specified no transmission fluid change interval, so I'm not sure that it would be part of any regular service. Hopefully they've learned since then that these can't survive without clean blood.

It's been awhile since we had the 02 V70, but pretty sure there is a trans. flush interval of 80K for these cars now.

Greg, nice looking car, congrats.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:26 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

I can't say if there's a factory supported service interval for transmission flushes - but there is definitely and enthusiast mandated fluid flush interval for these transmissions. The '00 got the first 5sp auto and I'm a firm believer that with fluid flushes they are very robust. I use AMSOIL ATF in the 00' and just today I was smiling as the transmission shifts so smooth and crisp... When I got the car it had fresh Honda spec ATF Z1 in it, but I prefer synthetics so I flushed it 130K with the AMSOIL universal ATF (3309 compliant), and again at 200K. Car has 228K on it now and shifts like new.

The 06' R will get AMSOIL ATF when I do the valve body, and I have to do the passenger side bevel seal as well - so the bevel is going to get Redline lightweight shock proof oil when it gets filled. Likely do the rear diff while I'm under the car with Redline 75W90...

No idea if the DSTC disabling trick works in the XC - but I would bet money it does. Just do it fairly fast, if you pause at all then you have to cycle it more times. First few say it's been reduced, and when it's disabled it says anti-skid is off. With the "instant traction" Haldex in the 06 - there's no delay to the rear wheels so the car feels like a proper AWD car with the rear tires spinning instantly off the line - so it has much more of a RWD feel to it than the 00 which feels like a FWD traits.

Rabin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm 

My 4 cylinder grey XC is now up for grabs:
https://lethbridgesalvage.ca/auctions/p ... etails/693

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 am 

Huh. I didn't know it had 4 cylinders or was grey? The things you learn!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 am 

Indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm 

Ah, what the heck. Just posted formal complaints with AMVIC and the BBB over our man at Trucks Unlimited. Can't hurt.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next