Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Project XC70 AKA The Shortest Project Thread Ever
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Well, it was high time I started a project thread for my XC70, which I acquired earlier this year. After much searching and research, and one botched purchase attempt due to a dishonest dealer, I bought a 2006 XC70 at a GM dealership in Calgary. Its a dark metallic blue called "Barents Blue", with DTSC, 4C, Premium Sound, Bi-Xenons, and basically every option except for Nav. Around 130,000kms, and after some digging around, a fairly complete service history at Valentine in Calgary. It had been in an accident, with a repair to the B pillar, which seems weird, but everything had been kept up to date, and timing belt and blower motor recently done.

Since purchase, I had put on some token IPD bling, including aluminum lock knob things, and aluminum skid plate. Winter tires were purchased, and I went with Gislaved 100's on the stock rims with the intent of going +1 to 17" rims next year for summers. Got headlight protection put on. Basically I got the car really clean, threw the roof rack on and this was going to be my winter sled to get me to the mountains and back. I've wanted one of these since they came out, and finally got one.

The only picture I really have:

Sadly, this whole thing came to an end Friday night on my 38th birthday. Laura and I were on our way to our new place in Fernie for a ski weekend with friends. Between Fort Macleod and Brocket, in a place called "Scott's Coulee", a Mk5 VW Golf which had recently passed me hit a patch of packed snow, and spun out in front of me. I was probably 100m behind him when I noticed he was sideways in the opposing eastbound lane. Unfortunately there was an F150 in that lane that attempted to swerve around him, hit him, and spun off into my lane. I reacted just fine, and got to the right, but with a guardrail and a ravine to my right, I had nowhere to go. The back end of the truck swung around and took me out. I was probably still doing 100k, and the truck was probably not a whole lot slower. The pillar and curtain airbags went off, and all the glass on the drivers side exploded. The power to the engine cut, and I came to a rest in the shoulder without having spun or hitting the guard rail. I knew I was okay, and so was Laura. She immediately noticed a bad smell, which was just the propellant from the airbags going on. She got on the phone to 911, and we tried to stay warm until the cops arrived. It was -32 at the time, with wind chills close to -50 which made it pretty miserable.

The cops came, and I started noticing some neck and back pain. They sent me to an ambulance to get checked out, and eventually I ended up in ER in Pincher Creek as a precaution. Everything looked fine, I made my statement to the cops, and some friends that were a few kms ahead of us picked us up and we came home.

So yes, its good both Laura and I are fine. We got very very lucky. My driving saved us from major injury, and I'm sure the airbags saved me from head injury. But had that truck been further into my lane, I probably wouldn't be writing this right now. His back end hit the side of the car right before my door, and took out the entire drivers side. Rear tire was flat, rear bumper was off. Mirror was off. Driver's and passenger glass blown out. Both the B and C pillars are pushed in, and while the doors didn't enter the cabin, they are pushed all the way in. I didn't get a super close look at the car, and it was quite dark. But I'm pretty confident its a right off.....thankfully.

My initial reaction is being pissed off. The Golf in front of me was clearly driven by someone who didn't know what he was doing. The packed snow on the road was due to the drifting next to the guard rail. He was maybe doing 115 when he hit the patch, but the corner wasn't very sharp, and the snow patch was maybe 100ft long. I don't know if he hit the brakes, or didn't have snow tires or what, but considering I went through the corner, braked, swerved, and stopped at that speed all without spinning says something. So I'm pissed at the dude. But mostly I'm just really really bummed about the car. Yes, the most important thing is we're fine, but I loved that car, and had spent A LOT of time finding it and purchasing it. I've never been in a car accident before, and I don't know how the whole insurance thing works, but I'm just really concerned I'm going to get screwed over, and end up with a lot less of a car than I had. My winter vehicle is gone, and its going to take me more than just a quick trip to a dealership to replace the car, unless insurance really hooks me up. So I'm sad.

Post subject: Re: Project XC70 AKA The Shortest Project Thread Ever
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:27 pm 

Whoa...that's crazy! Glad you and Laura are ok. Good thing there are lots of those cars out there...if you want another one, that is...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:30 pm 

Shit. Sorry man, but I'm super glad you and Laura are okay!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:00 am 

That's terrible news. So glad you and Laura are fine. I was going to make some smart-ass comment about the fabulous Audi parked in your driveway on Friday - but it doesn't seem justified now, so I'm glad I didn't say anything (oops :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 am 

so glad you two are safe.

time to start sending westy, unimog and awd v70 auctions listings again!;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 am 

Thanks guys. Yes, its good we're okay. Just a sore back today, but nothing serious.

Hahah! Yes Craig, that Audi is a beaut. I was feeling shaken and scared to drive on Saturday, and my friend throws me the keys. Certainly made my birthday weekend a bit better....got to FLOG the thing in an icy parking lot. 400hp and AWD makes for some very fun donuts. I gave Laura a ride later, and she declared "we need one of these." :twisted:

So, of course, the search for a new vehicle has begun. The first call to insurance has been made, so I expect hear back something soon. In the meantime, my mind wanders to other things. The shortlist is this:
-another 2006-2007 XC70 with similar options. Hard to find, but shouldn't be too bad.
-depending on the settlement, a 2008+ XC70. I don't like them as much, and the engines aren't nearly as solid, but it might be okay.
-2004+ Volvo V50 T5 AWD manual. Smaller. Rare, but could be fun.
-B7 2004-2008 Audi A4 2.0T Avant manual. Smaller, but just as quick, and nicer to drive. Would consider a B6 1.8T with a 6 speed as well.
-B6 or B7 2003-2008 Audi S4 Avant manual. Just dreaming here.
-2000-2005 Audi Allroad. Now, this has bad idea written all over it, but I don't care.
-edit: other random cool stuff Athal sends me.

So far, I haven't found much, but this is of interest:
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z541871834

Unobtanium!!! A 6 speed! With the green exterior AND interior. Also rare to see one with such low mileage. Very cool.

If you guys see anything, post it here. I'm going to use this thread to keep sane and document my progress.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am 

swedishmeatball wrote:
so glad you two are safe.

time to start sending westy, unimog and awd v70 auctions listings again!;-)

:D Yes please!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:33 am 

volvoshredder wrote:
So far, I haven't found much, but this is of interest:
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z541871834

Unobtanium!!! A 6 speed! With the green exterior AND interior. Also rare to see one with such low mileage. Very cool.

You KNOW I like the green!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 am 

Yup!!! So similar to my Dad's old 740's colour scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:37 pm 

I know it isn't on your list but...

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/cto/4235786071.html

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:46 pm 

:shock: GASP. So beautiful. Funny you should mention that, as I was ogling an A8L in the mall parking lot on Saturday, and Laura said she couldn't see me driving it because its "not a wagon." But I mean....look at it! Unbelievably cheap for what it is too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:41 pm 

I dunno...I could be tempted to trade off the wagon thing for that. A guy on Ferrari-Chat owns it. Has had it for sale for a few weeks now. No one can figure out why it's still for sale. 35,000 miles? Holy crap! :shock:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:42 pm 
First volvo in outer space

YIKES!! A little late here as we were up in Calgary overnight and I took an interwebz break. Glad to hear you guys are fine, that sounds like a scary incident. Makes me think about upgrading to something newer with all of the safety toys. That is a real bummer happening so soon after you got it, and for all of the time and effort that went in to finding it. Take it easy.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:11 pm 

Pylon wrote:
I know it isn't on your list but...

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/cto/4235786071.html

I've got a 350hp v8 super sedan for sale a lot cheaper than that with similar mileage! sorry no awd though, which is why I'm currently on the bus...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:23 pm 

Thanks Jim. So far so good. Saw the chiropractor today. I'll be seeing him a few times, and getting a few massages too.

Oh yes, I could probably forgo the wagon for the right car. Getting it up from Texas sounds like a massive pain though. I had forgotten yours was for sale Athal! But yeah, AWD is kinda a must for me now....is there that much snow out there that you can't drive???

Emailed on this car tonight. Salesman phoned back, and knew NOTHING about it, and clearly nothing about Volvos. Price is high, but I'm sure it could come down. He's going to look into a few things and send me some photos.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/XC70/E ... po=ShowCPO

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 7   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next