Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Winter weirdness 94 850
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:09 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Ok, so I have this 850 wagon and am not that familiar with the model... when it is cold,I mean cold (in the -25-30 range) the car was running fine,but once parked for a few hours will refuse to start. Figured out quickly that it is starving of air ( intake hose was collapsing) so if I bypass the intercooler it will start and runs fine, by connecting the hoses together and not going through it. Once warmed up (in a garage or such) they can be reconnected and it will be fine again.
Now,I cant believe I am the only one with this problem ( Jim at Streetwise in Saskatoon has told me he has seen a few come in on a hook with this issue) so what I am asking is....is there a fix for this ??
I should mention the car has 320,000 km on it,and other than this ,runs like a champ. I was told there is a drain hole in the bottom of the cooler, and if enlarged will cure it ??? but how does this work ?? will cause a boost leak ,no ?
Any advice is welcome, my wife and my ears will welcome it.

Post subject: Re: Winter weirdness 94 850
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:55 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Condensation in the intercooler, lots of cars suffer from it in some way. Kat's '98 S70 had this trouble all the time, my wife's '94 850 never ever suffered with it. Ecoboost trucks will sometimes fall flat on their face when merging onto the highway.

The small boost leak you'll have isn't enough to bother it, and will blow out all the moisture that builds up, though I can't helpp but think that there are other issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:16 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

What Matt said. Saw it all the time in Winnipeg. Make the hole a bit bigger and let it sit in the shop for the day so all the moisture drained.

Jordan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 am 
Bone stock

Interestingly enough, I had a similar cold weather start problem on my 850... I'll try this. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:05 am 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

I know I'm a bit late to respond, and given that cold-weather probably isn't a concern at the moment...

With this car being a 94, I also wonder if it had the factory reverse intercooler piping set up... In 94 they made the switch to the regular set up that you see on all cars 95 and up...

Does the turbo discharge line going into the intercooler run over the valve cover directly into the top of the intercooler? Or does it do the funky "S"-bend and tie into the bottom of the intercooler? If it's the latter then disregard my comments, and it's just like everyone else said that it is just condensation in your intercooler, however, if your intercooler piping is the reverse style and you're technically drawing off the bottom of your intercooler into your intake manifold or throttle-body, that could be your problem...

There is a reason Volvo switched their design...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]