Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Hello from a new user
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:37 pm 
I like cake

Hi everyone. I just joined the CVC and I have really enjoyed reading the comments and pictures posted by all of you.

I bought a 2001 XC70 a couple of years ago with 190,000 km on it, and have been trying to bring it back to fully new condition. Already needed a new steering rack and all new bearings in the transfer case. I also changed all the shocks / struts and wheel bearings -- just on principle, they weren't trashed. Of course, I did the timing belt and serpentine belt too. I just put a new set of Pirelli P7's on it this summer and they were great on the mountain highways.

I would love to hear suggestions from the (obviously expert) audience about other repairs to watch for!

Post subject: Re: Hello from a new user
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:11 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Welcome! Great to hear you're bringing an XC back up to shape. Any issues with the AWD or transmission?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:25 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Transmission flush and changing the Haldex filter and oil change would be my suggestions for preventative maintenance if they haven't been done already.

Rabin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:42 pm 
I like cake

Thanks for the suggestion on the Haldex system. I knew I had Haldex but did not know anything about what service it requires. I don't believe the previous owner did anything done to it, but I do know that he replaced the rear drive shaft because it was "unbalanced and vibrating". Maybe they did something at that time.

If anyone can suggest steps to diagnose and service the Haldex, I would be grateful.

The other question you asked was whether there was anything wrong with the 5-speed automatic transmission. It was a bit "thunky" going into gear from neutral, but seemed to shift OK. After a few thousand km, though, I started to notice a high-pitched mechanical whining when going down hills. It was heard better outside the car, not inside. Figured it was something in the transmission. Took it to A-1 Transmission in Calgary for a flush, where they found seriously burnt transmission fluid with metal chips in it. So I had them take it totally apart. That was when they found that both half-shaft bearings in the transfer case were seriously worn, and the main output bearing from the transfer case (last bearing before the angle gear and rear shaft) was seriously damaged and burned. They replaced all these bearings WITHOUT taking the transmission apart. Reassembled, ran, tested. Ran like a charm and shifted even more smoothly. Drive-line lash solved! It's done 15,000 km since then without a hiccup.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had bearing failures like that, and whatever could be the cause of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:44 pm 

I only suggested the Haldex service as preventative maintenance - so nothing to diagnose per se.

A buddy at work has an *edit* 04' XC70 and his Haldex pump and controller died. When he was fixing it he found the fluid to be absolutely disgusting - and it was most likely that goop for fluid that burned out the pump and took out the controller. Quite a few threads online about maintaining the Haldex with oil and filter changes - so I did mine for some peace of mind.

Mine was actually totally fine, with the fluid still clear and the filter showed no signs of any crap on it - but I didn't know without changing it. If you do change it, the exhaust, drive shaft, and the rear flange off the unit likely need to come off to get to it the "proper" way. I tried to suck the oil out the fill hole and only got half of it out as well - so another reason to take it apart rather than do it in situ like I did.

Rabin

Last edited by bean on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

There's no Haldex in the XC's until '03.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 pm 

My bad - I thought my buddies car was an '01 and it's actually an '04.

Prior to Haldex will be the same viscous coupling my '00 uses.

Rabin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]