Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: My new vehicle (Now with volvo content!!)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:38 pm 
Whost Pore

Ok, so its not a volvo. (skip to the second post for volvo content)

But it was time to give up on the old 85 benz, she was a great car for 5 years, I put almost 100k on her, and I sold her with just about 520k on the clock still clacking along.

Enter my new wheels, A 1998 4 runner. Not that special you might say, But this particular example is a U.S. truck. Its 2WD (i know) and automatic (blech) but it came from texas recently and had passed the out of country no problem. Might I add it has zero rust? Bonus was that its a 2.7 4cyl, very rare in this generation, also had working a/c, power windows, mirrors and locks. I picked it up for $2000 with 138k miles on it which makes me feel a bit like i stole it. I bought it over the phone on kijiji, and asides from needing a set of tires and some front brake hoses, it passes a safety without a sniff. Here it is on a road trip

Prejector retrofit, Im a little sick of crap hid kits, so i decided to give a projector retrofit a shot. This particular projector from the retrofit source just sandwiches over your H4 housing, installation is neat and a snap. Kit includes projectors, shrouds, bulbs (d2s) and amp cables for $170 if you provide a set of ballasts. This is also a HI/LO function projector with a little solenoid and shield.
I added an amber LED strip due to my lack of DRL
(pardon the potato phone quality)
Output (at about 60ft) notice the lack of glare above the cutoff line

3 inch lift and 31x10.5x15 tires (dont worry, i did a very anal alignment to it after)

Winter shoes

Whats this?

I picked up a 1996 4runner that had been rolled in central alberta. Miraculously its also a 2.7 but it has 4wd and a manual. The plan is to swap in the 4wd/5spd drivetrain and The task is not an easy one, I had to aquire a 98 pcm and engine wiring harness due to the fact that the newer truck uses wasted spark vs a distributor. I also had to move the transmission crossmember forward about 6 inches to avoid interfering with the transfer case. Cut and weld :) Holes needed to be drilled for the slave cyl, pedals needed swapping, the shifter hole in the floor needed cutting, P/N switches needed fooling and diffs needed installing. But at the end of 3 long evenings (18 hrs total work) between two guys. we had some success!

There is still some stuff to do, like wiring in the clutch cancel switch, the clutch switch for starting and the clutch switch for cruise control. As well as combining the manual and auto clusters to remove PRNDL and make the speedometer/odometer in KM. But other than that it runs and drives factory, No CEL or strange vibrations.

Next up are s60/v70 seats and a electric fan swaparoo.

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

Post subject: Re: My new vehicle (Now with volvo content!!)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:30 pm 
Whost Pore

OK!

Let me know what you think of my plan

So I scored these bad boys at the pick n pull (thank you row 52 for notifying me of its arrival) from a 01 v70 turbo. They are the sport seats, in the colour I wanted and they are mint! wee!

Now for the fun part, getting the seat heaters, and the power functions to work. The drivers seat uses a memory function and module, and is on the CAN data network. I don't want or need to put them on the network nor do i need the memory functions. If we look at the wiring diagram, you might notice that the motors are all stepper type motors with position sensors. These wont work without module control so i will need to use the relays, motors and switches from the passenger seat. Luckily these motors are identical in size and shape and are a standard DC motor.

Next time one of these p2 cars shows up at PNP, I will grab all the stuff from the passenger seat and swap it onto the drivers. Notice how the passenger seat requires only two power (one for stop logic, and the other for the motors) and a ground! much much simpler!

If anyone could comment on the diagram, I assume 30+ on the fuse lines is just 12v+, but im not sure about X+ as i dont have a key. Maybe 5v+ for the logic board??

Drivers seat

Passenger

The fun part will be controlling the seat heaters (not shown). In the car the climate control module Pulse width modulates the seat elements to control temp. It also has a temperature thermistor to watch and make sure the elements dont get too hot. My plan is to build / buy a small module to PWM these elements using a knob or dial to control it (change in resistance = change in duty cycle 10-75%)

As for mounting i plan on welding the Volvo rails to the toyota mounts. The seatbelt buckle bolts to the seat on both the volvo and the toyota so that should be simple for retaining the toyota seatbelts.

More updates as they come.

87 245, +t 517k
83 242t Project

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]