Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Vintage volvo parts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Hi gents

The 122 is out and about.. needing a few essential parts to keep my happy this year. I actually stumbled upon some of this stuff a few months ago and can't find the website for the life of me.

There was a place that sold the re-spring kit for seats

Also, I'd like to redo the entire wiring harness in the car. Not sure if a refurb exists or not. Went for my first night drive and the signal lights don't work with the headlights on =D> . Obviously easy to just repair that problem myself but I'd like to redo it all.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd LOVE that. Searched most of the morning for the seat kit and couldn't find it.

Post subject: Re: Vintage volvo parts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Geoff240Ti wrote:
Hi gents

The 122 is out and about.. needing a few essential parts to keep my happy this year. I actually stumbled upon some of this stuff a few months ago and can't find the website for the life of me.

There was a place that sold the re-spring kit for seats

Also, I'd like to redo the entire wiring harness in the car. Not sure if a refurb exists or not. Went for my first night drive and the signal lights don't work with the headlights on =D> . Obviously easy to just repair that problem myself but I'd like to redo it all.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd LOVE that. Searched most of the morning for the seat kit and couldn't find it.

Meh, you don't need to use that crappy Pirelli belting, just go buy a few metres of 2" nylon webbing is all you need to string up a set of comfy seats. I've done it on a few cars and it relaxes a little if strung really tight initially and is just fine in the long haul. What I do is cut and fuse the ends of the nylon, then use some 3/4" aluminum reinforcing strips that are the full length of the belt for attachment points (each end of the weave) then drill holes through the aluminum and debur the holes. I think I used #10-24 screws, two per reinforcing strip is fine. Then drill through the nylon with a soldering iron and string it like the factory did. Done deal, costs $5.

Rewiring is a good idea - you've probably got ground troubles by the sound of things. For heaven's sake, put the fuse box inside the car.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:04 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

The nylon sounds like a simple enough solution, thanks!

Is there a wiring harness/fuse system I can buy for this car? I'm comfortable rewiring it all myself.. but honestly I want something I can just buy and install.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:59 pm 

Geoff240Ti wrote:
The nylon sounds like a simple enough solution, thanks!

Is there a wiring harness/fuse system I can buy for this car? I'm comfortable rewiring it all myself.. but honestly I want something I can just buy and install.

Nothing off the shelf. I've got a perfectly good and sorted out harness (all cleaned etc) that I'm removing from my car. If you're interested I could pull it for you. I'm replacing mine with one of the options offered by Ron Francis Wiring. I really don't like the way the current system loops through the firewall - it's just needless wiring. I also am not a big fan of the way that the harness loops under the steering column.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Craig, Ive never checked out ron francis wiring. Looks like good stuff..which wiring system are you planning on using?

Today the 122 died picking up the kids from daycare. Only had ignition power with the starter engaged. The new/used pertronix distributor was wired into the starter then connected to that bloody fuse block on the firewall.

Needless to say wiring is moved to top priority. Craig I'd be interested in yours but also willing to wire in a new setup. I'm 50/50, but being stranded once was enough!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:40 pm 

The model depends on what you're doing. A bare bonz or whatever their low end is, is more than sufficient for improving the basics of what's needed for a 122. The 24/7 was where I was headed. I do think that just tearing it all out and starting fresh is the way to go. I did manage to get my 122 to be completely reliable and it took removing the grounds and replacing every ground with a welded on stud and then removing all of the patches to make things work (the old stereo install still gives me nightmares - how that didn't burst into flames is a mystery for the ages).

Anyway, I've got no future plans with my current wiring, but also less time to pull it all right now - so i'd tell you that for $500 you could do it all up fresh and in ways that make sense. I've never had issues with the interior switches and gauges, it's just things like the under hood wiring that get hacked to bits and should be replaced.

Think it over and let us know which way you're heading. Sounds like you've got some sketchy wiring to workout.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:48 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Well I've placed my order for a Ron Francis kit. Going to try the Express system (16 Fuse = 18-20 Circuits). I do want to B230 swap this car.. but my plan is to wait until I stumble across a custom intake that will work. Also I'd like to see it successfully done a couple more times online with cleaner results. I know the list of hurdles are big enough to turn me off for now.

I've ordered 2 American autowire kits in the past so I'm interested to compare it to Ron Francis stuff. Thanks Craig for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:02 pm 

Geoff240Ti wrote:
Well I've placed my order for a Ron Francis kit. Going to try the Express system (16 Fuse = 18-20 Circuits). I do want to B230 swap this car.. but my plan is to wait until I stumble across a custom intake that will work. Also I'd like to see it successfully done a couple more times online with cleaner results. I know the list of hurdles are big enough to turn me off for now.

I've ordered 2 American autowire kits in the past so I'm interested to compare it to Ron Francis stuff. Thanks Craig for the suggestion!

Great - let's get a wiring write up on this project. I'll do one for mine, but it's so far past stock that it's more like wiring a space shuttle than wiring a stock 122.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:18 pm 
Cams + Headers

I'm very interested in seeing how your re-wire jobs go! Please share updates.

Olof at vintageimportparts.com does sell wiring harnesses complete. He said roughly $750 depending how stock the car is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 pm 

There's a complete dash side harness (gauges and instrument) on ebay right now for $25. Good start point if you're interested in doing the work outside the car and then doing a straight forward swap. $750 is crazy money for a harness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:16 pm 
Cams + Headers

122_Canuck wrote:
$750 is crazy money for a harness.

I agree!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Buying that ebay harness would probably be helpful no doubt, but it looks so simple I'm going to try without.

I'll do my best to take some documented pictures. I'm undecided if I'm going to make this wiring accessible under hood, or hidden. The engine bay needs to be painted and should be done first since I can hardly stand it, but I've told myself I'm driving this car all year so it can't happen now.

If I relocate the battery and tuck this harness the engine bay will be much easier for paint, plus no battery might offer more room for a future swap... trade off is my wiring decision might be undesirable to others.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]