Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Broken again
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

So ...I have apparently ripped a rocker stud out of one of the AFR heads. Surprising that these heads don't have inserts in already. anyhow, I have gone ahead and bought some timesert inserts and will replace the errant one.
Would it be prudent to replace them all ? or just the one ? Seems like these heads have gone for 3-4 yrs in there current configuration, and about 17,000 km...since I have had the heads, the studs have been in and out a few times
and having no inserts, my guess is that thread may have suffered ?? I haven't pulled the rest of the rockers yet to check wear patterns, I will do.
What would anyone else do ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Broken again
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Sorry for the huge pic...... :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'd replace them all, for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:03 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Its fixed. For now. I only did the offending one Matt.
I would have liked to do them all but having ordered the kit and it only comes with 5 inserts, and the fact I didn't order the other 11 needed.... made the decision simple.
It was a very easy procedure and it is all up and running again. I think its time for a new battery though,the one I have is finally dying quickly. It doesn't owe me anything having been in this car for 9 years and I got it with another car
before that.
Any thoughts on a lighter battery ? I am not gonna move it, but am curious these days about the smaller lighter ones and how they last being that this car sits half its time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Also had an intermittent stalling issue that only started after the stripped thread thingy. Couldn't quite figure out that one off the bat. Power seemed to be going where it was supposed to be ( eec4 is a very simple fuel injection really) so couldn't figure out why it would stall and restart right away or take some cranking and time, nothing was showing up on my datalogs. Definitely spark related, just didnt see where, it was like the key got turned off.
Went ahead and replaced a couple of electrical parts (tfi and main relay, changed 2 computers and two tuners) still had the issue. So, obviously not a eec problem. On the last time it quit, no restart at all.... this then showed up the reason, after doing back probing of computer pins again, no power to pin#1.. Aha !! supposed to be power all the time... traced it back to starter relay, and to the eye it looked good but upon inspection the wire inside the casing had finally broken, it must have been hanging on by a thread for awhile and my checking of wires finally removed the connection. It should be noted that this was a connection that was obviously added and hidden under shrink wrap.
I guess it was done about the same time the harness was modified for Volvo use. Makes me wonder about the myriad of other ones.... but sheer lack of time and motivation will have to let them run their course. Never understood why the guy that modded the harness cut off the STI plug in the wiring. Would make checking codes very easy. One of these days I will add it in again....been saying that for awhile.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]