Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Autocross - The latest bit of fun.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:58 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

You gotta love random people that come to events, snap pictures and post them on the internet. So the changes made this time were to get rid of the Koni Red's that were blown or not adjusted properly or something and move on to Erik's old Bilsteins HD's. That made a big difference in the way the rear of the car felt. I also stripped out the 40 mm extended LCA's for a set of 25 mm ones that I made last week (same deal) so now I've got less negative camber, but more contact patch on the ground means I've got my front brakes back. I only lit up the inside front tire once all weekend.

Here are my results from Saturday/Sunday

Saturday
242 SM Craig C 1981 Volvo 242 GLT
Day 1 Set 1 62.523 61.601 (60.561) 62.092
Day 1 Set 2 (58.987) 59.505
Sunday
242 SM Craig C 1981 Volvo 242 GLT
Day 1 Set 1 69.698 (69.178) 69.594
Day 1 Set 2 70.322 (69.179)

Second course on Sunday was harder - I shaved 1.2 ish seconds off on a single run. I'd like to go again, but that's all the run time we got. I'm consistent and haven't hit a cone (still taking the wide line I guess). That 70 second run is the first run on a course that has elements from the morning session flipped and no walks. I went through the first slalom out of phase (entered on the wrong side of the first cone) - so there's time right there.

Much happier with the set up and finally thinking that I'm the one needing the tuning. Gaining confidence slowly and starting to apply the throttle. That said, I'm really interested in some more spring to calm down the roll and plant that front tire a little more - so I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm also really tempted to be last place in the National Finals running at Fort Macleod in August. It's the only event we get in August and I need to continue to get some runs in. So maybe some new tires are the ticket.

That said, Matt and I discussed a few things and I think my coil-over suspension dreams are off the table for now as I'm still building a car and really don't want two cars that serve similar purposes. So with some tuning, I think this car will still suit for garbage hauling, trips, occasional DD use, hauling engines and other things that generally disgust purists.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:03 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Car looks good in those shots, keep up the good work representing old Volvos. =D>

Saw Matt heading home on Hwy 2 just South of Nanton, by the time I realized who it was it was too late to wave... duh.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:49 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Craig or Matt.... are either of you running the the nationals at Ft. Mcleod on the 21st-23th August ?
looks like some good competition and $7k in prizes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:04 am 

frepea wrote:
Craig or Matt.... are either of you running the the nationals at Ft. Mcleod on the 21st-23th August ?

I'm registered...I've got a last place guaranteed and if I can get someone to finish behind me I'll be stoked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:46 am 

122_Canuck wrote:
frepea wrote:

I'm registered...I've got a last place guaranteed and if I can get someone to finish behind me I'll be stoked.

:-k pretty sure I could handle that.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:25 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

122_Canuck wrote:
frepea wrote:

Look at it this way, as I do.....two people that everyone will remember are the first guy and the last guy, everyone else is just a finisher :) I once got a trophy for the most dnf's at a two day event, 7 out of 8 at SSIS in Saskatoon
it is a nice keepsake and features a pole on a stand with a little car attached that goes around and around !!
So far looking at the entries Craig.....you are driving the oldest car !!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:37 am 

frepea wrote:
122_Canuck wrote:
frepea wrote:

Look at it this way, as I do.....two people that everyone will remember are the first guy and the last guy, everyone else is just a finisher :) I once got a trophy for the most dnf's at a two day event, 7 out of 8 at SSIS in Saskatoon
it is a nice keepsake and features a pole on a stand with a little car attached that goes around and around !!
So far looking at the entries Craig.....you are driving the oldest car !!

Is there a trophy for oldest? That would be cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:04 pm 

Wow - what a great experience. I've never competed at a national level in anything (unless you consider academia a competition). I put on my big boy pants and entered the Canadian Autocross Championship. I wasn't going to earlier in the season, but then I figured it was in Fort Macleod and when was I going to get this chance again. This was my second official timed event. Started very poorly - lots of rules at a national event that we just don't see at local events. Race stewards, accounting, cone/penalty records, weights, competition checks of the car. So very much more up-tight...this is a big deal - there's prize money (thousands + sets of tires were won).

Anyway - course walk was early on Saturday (like 7:30 am) - then I check my run group and we're not up until the third group. 88 cars on the grid. We didn't get to run until after 3 pm. No further course walks are allowed. The course had many tricks and things the designer was throwing in to trick drivers and it was set super fast. Not our normal course that's for sure. I judged my target time of 75 seconds based on how I stack up against some of the more consistent guys. This was my first time running the new stiffer springs on the car.

After the first run group, it also became apparent that my target speed would put me dead last - by a margin. Slow guys are not showing up for this event. I also didn't want to be last. That was looking a little hopeless. Anyway with 7-8 hours between walking the course and running it, I pretty much forgot what it looked like. Sure, I had a course map, but that doesn't tell you what the sea of cones will look like.

With my marshalling shift over, we were ready to run. I tried to position my car so I wouldn't be running first - and try to see if I could figure it out. I tried to visualize the course - I was stuck working the first slalom which was right after the start gate - so no information there. It's the far end of the course when things get complicated.

First run - got tricked by a cone wall that was meaningless - went to the outside of the wall, scattering the marshals and going off course. DNF #1. Dammit - that wasn't good - time around 77 seconds. Slow - very slow.

Oh and it wasn't helping that cars like this were in my class.

Yup - GTR on slicks...sure, I can beat that guy!

Wait an hour fretting over my off-course to try again. Then promptly on the first slalom, I go off course again as there is a double cone (two cones with pointers facing the same way) at the end of the slalom. I get tricked by an element that I stood beside for almost 3 hours. Cheese and rice - stupid nerves. Thrash it throughout the rest of the run and still post an 80 second time. Should be in 3rd gear to get speed up, but just can't get the grip on the big sweepers.

I've got one more chance to make it count - if I don't post a time on day 1 they can't compute an average for me for the event and I will be dead last and may as well not run on Sunday. I'd also be pretty embarrassed - I don't usually get lost on course, but I was super nervous and quite frankly, that many trailers cars with fast drivers was enough to make seasoned guys feel out of place.

On to the third run. Focus - I can do this. No time to quit. And rev it up and dump the clutch - off we go. I've never been so happy to get a post-it note with a time on it in my life. I've got a time. I'm dead last, but I've got a time. 77.9 seconds would make most of these guys hang themselves and I'm over the moon. I get to run on Sunday.

One of the perks to running in SM is that you have to be weighed. You might be under your minimum weight. I was sure they wouldn't want me on the scales, but they wave me on. Totally cool - my cut rear springs were pretty accurately done! The rest of the weight bias would be caused by the battery. And I now have corner weights that the shock guys will want to work out new valving.

Lighter than it looks - lots of people surprised by this.

The run groups were reversed for Sunday, so I was able to walk the course and then run it right away. There were many changes (things flipped, directions changed in the turn around) and other tricks. I line up to go late in the run as the Sun is still low and I don't really need to be blinded running into the Sun. I make it around - don't get fooled - few elements needed work, but no cones, so I'm happy. 77.9 seconds. Dead last but I now have a combined time.

Run 2 - Clean up a few things, get to the back of a few cones, but am dealing with a car that wouldn't idle and was cutting under boost. Who knows what's wrong. I run it anyway - WTF. Several competitors come by to offer their analysis - so it wasn't just me that noticed it behaving badly. Feels like it's got power low down, but upper RPM is just runs out of breath. Not like I can analyze it while frantic driving. I can feel that it's slow, but I'm at the limit of the tires in this run. The springs really helped and my driving has improved. 74.91 seconds - hey, that's 3 seconds faster. That's huge. That would be enough to put me on the tail of the next slowest guy. I may not be last after all.

Run -3 - As soon as I fire up the car the idle is fine and we've got power again. Maybe ECU related. Who knows. No time to ask questions. Gotta get rolling. I'm flying through the track this time. Riding the edge of traction, smooth, aggressive, hitting most of the areas that I needed to improve. No understeer on turn arounds (it was me after all) - hitting the power on/brake points. I fly through the finish and the LED screen reads 73.742. I let out a huge cheer to the confusion of the timing workers (for whom this is a painfully slow run). That's as good as I can do at this stage - it's all been left on the track. You can tell I'm a raw rookie as I'm moving 4 seconds in 3 runs...most of these guys are scrapping at tenths. No cones today.

So that's one mission accomplished. I met the 75 second goal. But I'm dead last. Off I go to my marshalling station. Sitting in 88th place. Hey, I'm here - I've learned a lot and the other competitors are not telling me to leave and never return. So that's not the end of the world.

Then as I check the online scoring again, I notice (about half way through the last run group) that two cars didn't make it to the grid. They post no times and I'm now sitting in 86/88...I wasn't dead last! Hey, if your junk brakes, that's not my problem - they posted times Saturday and didn't Sunday. Woo-hoo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:11 pm 

Woohooo! Well done Craig! That is a significant improvement in time, and its awesome that you were able to get your nerves under control and let 'er rip! I can only imagine how nervous I would be in such a situation as well.

I was very interested to see your total weight. And as you predicted, I'm completely surprised by your total weight. I figured on 200 lbs more than that. How full was your gas tank? With a stereo, heavy seats etc., that's pretty good. I'm maybe only a 100 lbs lighter than you, and that's not much considering how much shit has been removed from my car.

Also, congrats on the new tire sponsorship!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:17 am 

volvoshredder wrote:
Woohooo! Well done Craig! That is a significant improvement in time, and its awesome that you were able to get your nerves under control and let 'er rip! I can only imagine how nervous I would be in such a situation as well.

I was very interested to see your total weight. And as you predicted, I'm completely surprised by your total weight. I figured on 200 lbs more than that. How full was your gas tank? With a stereo, heavy seats etc., that's pretty good. I'm maybe only a 100 lbs lighter than you, and that's not much considering how much shit has been removed from my car.

Also, congrats on the new tire sponsorship!

Funny, no one at the event wanted to run on Toyo's and even their tent was held down by a burnt set of Goodyear racing tires. Tank was 3/4 full, but with nothing at all in the trunk - this was race trim. I had to be no lighter than 2870 lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:25 am 

Interesting. Is that the class weight limit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:13 am 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Great write up Craig - loved the pic of the GTR on slicks in the same class!

I always classed the car properly, but I "competed" against what ever car was closest, or that I just wanted to be faster than.

Like you it's just for fun and personal development - it really is a hoot when you just do it for the fun of it.

Tried looking for thr results just to see what cars were posting what numbers but it doesn't look like anything's up yet.

Rabin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 am 

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to detail all of that. Good job hanging in there and pulling off some good runs at a National event, it's pretty nerve wracking/intimidating when you're racing with the best.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:05 pm 

Thanks guys - I have benefited much from this forum over the years...glad to share.

Here are a few shots - you can see the differences the springs made.

Note how much flatter I'm now cornering. Gotta get some tire under it so I can push harder.

Here's a video of the day 2 track...for those that are interested in what this looks like.

https://youtu.be/uZYyfopPM8s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:11 pm 

Looks good Craig!

Yes, that video got me stressed, thinking about remembering which way to turn.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next