Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Machine Shop Fun - Notes to self (feel free to comment).
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:16 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Oh boy...where to start. Ian needs an engine rebuild and so does Chris. They call to have me check things out and mentor them through the projects. No problem generally. We strip these engines 6 months apart and find that they are both on spec for crank/mains/bores. So just toss in a new set of rings/bearings and cam/head work and you're down the road.

With life and work and everything that comes with our hobby, both these lumps end up in the machine shop on the same day. Both engines are the same - like pretty much identical, even similar years. Anyway, we have them properly tagged to keep it all straight and you guessed it...one block has a rusty bore and it needs an overbore. It looks like this:

Now, they get one done and the other has to wait for pistons...problem is, they mixed the blocks up after they were cleaned. Now, Ian has been told to order pistons and Chris has a block that is not his (but is ready to assemble). GRRR. I know the heads are fine (both getting the same work) as they stamped the number 1 on Chris's head but not his block. Bill are paid - people are getting pissed and I'm sitting in the middle having caused NONE of this.

I need no more trouble in my life and being triangulated between customers that don't speak "machine shop" and what was an obvious mistake and not a really big deal is over the top what I don't need right now. Maybe I should just hang it up and stop being accessible/nice. I like to help. I honestly hate this part.

Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Fun - Notes to self (feel free to comment).
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 am 
First volvo in outer space

Damn, sorry to hear this Craig. As someone who has benefited from your help on numerous occasions I would hate to see that go away, given your current circumstance I wouldn't blame you if you did "hang it up"... :cry: Hoping this gets resolved soon to everyone's satisfaction.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I just don't think it's very fair to dump problems at peoples feet and then have them sort them out. Lots of things in this world are based on trading on name and reputation, I've got a good working relationship with this machine shop. I've worked with a few in town to get things the way that I want them and had them either close or screw stuff up pretty badly. Now the latest shop (really the last one) is working out, but they prefer to talk to me not to the other guys. Now I've got to sort out who's got who's stuff and make sure everyone is on the same page and leaves knowing that everything will work.

The idea was that I wasn't building these engines, but just sharing. I'm still not building them - this is not my problem and I didn't create it, I'm far to busy in my professional and personal life to have this stuff land at my door. I'll be sticking to my knitting and others will have to learn how. I've done the extensive write-up - read it and learn how.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:15 am 
Cams + Headers

Craig, I obviously don't know the whole story here, but I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself. Even if I had already ordered those pistons it's no big deal... I would just sell them to Chris. Despite all of the information out there, we can't all know everything. Sometimes we are going to need help with our projects. For instance, even though I am a good woodworker if I want a piano, I'll buy a piano, not learn how to build it myself. I appreciate the help you have been so far, and I know we can all benefit from your knowledge and skills in the years to come.

Ian Strom

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]