Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Charging issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:51 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

So, ever since I got my 760, the alternator would fail to excite unless revved over 2500rpm to self excite. I replaced it with a pnp unit, which seemed like it was fried, so I put the old one back in and just dealt with it, didn't really bother me. So now I'm trading it to my brother for his YZ450f, and I don't feel right sending him out with said issue. I don't have any lights on in the dash, alternator would charge after you blipped the throttle, all wires seem to have clean connections and no breaks at the terminals. Any clue as to what's going on with it? Today's hero wins an e-cookie or a beer if we ever cross paths.

Post subject: Re: Charging issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:13 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

curtalcorn wrote:
I don't have any lights on in the dash, alternator would charge after you blipped the throttle

Does this mean that you have no lights at all, or you have lights before the alternator starts charging and no lights after? I believe the light is in the path of the exciter circuit, but for some reason that could be a crossed synapse with an earlier car of mine. With that car, the alternator would behave exactly as yours does because the light was dead. However, the alternators I've played with recently have a light AND a stator wire, two separate circuits. I haven't had to troubleshoot a Volvo alternator in quite a while...

Post subject: Re: Charging issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 am 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

Ugly Duck wrote:
curtalcorn wrote:
I don't have any lights on in the dash, alternator would charge after you blipped the throttle

Does this mean that you have no lights at all, or you have lights before the alternator starts charging and no lights after? I believe the light is in the path of the exciter circuit, but for some reason that could be a crossed synapse with an earlier car of mine. With that car, the alternator would behave exactly as yours does because the light was dead. However, the alternators I've played with recently have a light AND a stator wire, two separate circuits. I haven't had to troubleshoot a Volvo alternator in quite a while...

No lights on at all. I'll check the bulb. Never even thought of that.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]