Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: mechanic needed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:08 pm 
Bone stock

Hi Ive had some good suggestions here in the past, so trying again. My 2003 xc90 is having a few issues. It gives a good clunk when I am slowing to a stop (transmission?) and I've just noticed that when I am backing up or going slowly forward (parking) my steering is really stiff. Is this famous Paul guy out there any more? Any new suggestions? I don't have extra money (like everyone else) but I know I have to pay what is fair but I don't want to get ripped off and I would prefer to actually fix what needs to be fixed not something else. Thx, Jennifer

Post subject: Re: mechanic needed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:01 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Sounds like the start of something serious. We don't hear from Paul very often anymore and I'm fairly certain Bert & Jacks is kaput. There are places to avoid that are listed here (Mr. Volvo comes to mind) but honestly, most indy places could have a look. I don't think garages are necessarily out to "screw" people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:54 pm 

Paging Rabin: Do you have any clue if Jennifer's XC90 would have a similar transaxle to your V70R? I wonder if the valve body is giving her trouble, or if someone's tried to fill & flush and didn't get the procedure right? My first thought was that the tranny flush would be a simple thing, but then I remembered that nothing on this transmission is simple.

As far as the steering goes, I would definitely try a flush but first check your tire pressures. If neither the flush nor the tire pressures solves the problem, you could have a balljoint seizing up or perhaps your rack has worn out. Wearing out racks sounded pretty common to me in 740s but I'm not familiar with this happening in the later cars. Not saying it couldn't though.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had any chemistry with your other mechanics, but keep shopping and I'm sure you'll come up with a good one. If you do, please report back and let us know so we can spread the good word.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:49 pm 
First volvo in outer space

I thought you were using Mike at Northmount Auto and you were happy there? I'm asking as a newer Volvo, likely purchased in Calgary, is something I keep in the back of my head so trying to keep tabs on who's out there.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:56 pm 
Bone stock

I'm not unhappy with Mike, Its a bit hard to get to as its not near a train or anything. He seems like a good guy its just that I'd heard that Paul walks on water. How can someone with that reputation disappear?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:24 pm 

He certainly hasn't disappeared, but I think he took a step back from the stress of shop ownership. I also think he was ticked off at the way the city didn't help him out after the flood: he put a lot of time and effort into rebuilding, and then got shut down for mold or something. I spotted him at Country Hills Toyota, working as a mechanic, sometime last year. It took me a minute to figure out who the fuzzy bearded guy was, and if he recognized me he didn't acknowledge me, but it actually looked like he was avoiding looking at me.

Maybe he'll be back, but I think we won't see him running a shop until he's ready to again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:15 pm 
First volvo in outer space

jennifer wrote:
I'm not unhappy with Mike, Its a bit hard to get to as its not near a train or anything. He seems like a good guy its just that I'd heard that Paul walks on water. How can someone with that reputation disappear?

Fair enough, good to hear that Mike is still a viable option.

Like Matt said, after the flood Paul couldn't make it in the old location and couldn't, or wouldn't, move else where?

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:23 pm 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

I'm going to assume you have a t6 engine since it's an 03. Your transmission is likely failing. It a gm transmission that any reputable transmission shop can rebuild.

Te steering could be a number of things.

I would spend the money and have it diagnosed properly at the dealer (see Trevor or Nathan for the tech). I see far too many shops improperly diagnose these things and just start throwing parts at them, that an hour at the dealer would have diagnosed the first time. Think about it: all Volvo dealers do, is diagnose and fix volvos. They know them inside and out.

Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:31 am 
Bone stock

The T6 XC90 has a nasty reputation for delicate transmissions (as mentioned a GM unit). AS good as they were a 13 year old XC90 is going to require a yearly infusion of cash to keep on the road. Not quite as simple as some of the older bricks.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]