Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Help me shop for a compressor.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:24 am 
Hiring a japanese chess champion as ECU

I'm in search of a compressor. I'd like to budget around 2K for it (absolute MAX).

It is going into my 2 car garage now- but I plan on building a shop this summer or next and it will end up in there- assume I'll be using it just like I use my tools at work- die grinders, ratchets, impacts etc. But I also have a fairly large media blast cabinet I want to put to good use.

So I've been looking for a while. Lots of research. I've sort of narrowed it down to a 60 gallon vertical tank. I'd like two stage compressor and around 5hp.

This is sort of the compressor I have narrowed it down to.

https://www.kmstools.com/ingersoll-rand ... ssor-17332

At work we can get DV compressors- in the distributing catalogue I can find a 5hp 60 gallon 2 stage-but I can't seem to find it on their site. Anyone have experiance with this company? Appears Canadian...

http://dvcompressors.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQi ... AhZU8P8HAQ

I'll add it a dryer so I can paint in the future. But right now I'm just concerned with the compressor.

I've checked out some campbell-hausfeild compressors as well. My dad has one and it has been great- but its a very seldom used machine and from what I've read they can be hit or miss.

I never want to run out of air. At some points there might be multiple people using it at the same time (rare).

Next up I need a tool box because hanging on the peg board just isn't working out for me.

Edit- Compressor will be next to the electrical panel- so I can add in what ever circuit I need (there is already a 220 right there)

Jordan

Post subject: Re: Help me shop for a compressor.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:32 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I've got a Quincy 5 hp/60 gallon 2 stage compressor and it works great and is the same price as the IR unit. I've run 2 DA sanders at once and it will keep up. It keeps up to my blast cabinet as well, but runs pretty much all the time. It's a quality piece, but I would go bigger if I was doing it again. Just a few more payments would have moved up in range significantly. My lines are all 3/4 copper and I've got a 1" network cooler into a separate line for painting. One big water trap off the compressor and traps at each main drop with a separate big water separator before my paint line. Never see a drop of water.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 pm 

Quincy was actually a brand I found quite a few posts about on garage journal after I posted this thread.

When you say you'd go bigger if you were to do it again. Would you go bigger tank, or bigger motor/pump?

I was thinking 60 gallon mainly for space in the current garage.

Also- how loud is your compressor? Is it tolerable in the same room? Once in the new garage I'll be building a "tool room" extension and will have a door to keep noise out of the main shop.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:23 pm 

I'd go 80 gallon for sure and maybe 7.5 hp. If you have the room. I have mine in the phone booth garage and it's fine - though I have to manage the heat a little a I have storag around the compressor and have had the temp switch kick on the motor a few times. I should also tightem the belts! It's not terrible - but it's no quiet like a screw compressor either.

I'd like a "tool room". Not getting wife approval for that anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Cant speak for the compressor, but the big black tool box costco sells is a pretty decent one.
I bought mine in 2008 and is still working flawlessly. It is a nicely built unit.
I havent missed my compressor since I bought a makita electric die grinder and updated to Milwaukee cordless tools.
Their 18v 1/2 impact is amazing for a battery powered item :) and will zip off lug nuts like nothing as well as suspension nuts n bolts.
Then again.....I dont run sanders anymore, and I am the roller "queen" when it comes to paint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:19 pm 

I have that box too, smokin' deal. Do the still offer it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm 

That's the box I'm actually looking at. It's 1500 delivered to my house on the website. Co worker has one and also recommends it. 72" long will fit perfectly.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:59 pm 

So I spent some money.

I ended up getting this Costco box.

http://www.costco.ca/SPG-International- ... 61172.html

And I ended up getting that Ingersoll Rand compressor. Last month it was on sale for 1899. The flyer came out the other day and they had it for 1749$. So I went and got one. I didn't think they would have one in stock since it says "special order" but they actually had 3. I'm going to pick it up in the next couple of weeks.

I measured out the garage before I bought everything. I found that if I went with an 80 gallon 7.5hp compressor, the compressor would end up uncomfortably close to the electrical panel. If I find that this one doesn't keep up, when I get into the new garage I will go bigger. My brother has already said he would buy this one off me if it doesn't pan out.

The tool box should arrive in 8-15 business days.

Guess I better start organizing the garage to fit all of this.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:48 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Drier is pretty much mandatory for a blast cabinet, too... not just painting.

Not that it matters now, but if anyone is searching, DV was previously known as Devilbiss, many people still call them that, espescially in the US/GJ etc.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]