Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Flywheel and clutch questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:11 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Hello fellow forum members,

I am looking to pull my B18 engine/M41 transmission soon and replace it with a B20 and M41+O/D. I have a few questions about flywheels and clutches that I would like to pose. I'll also try to condense my random thoughts into this post to keep everything together.

I am planning to replace everything that I am aware is a wear item when I install the engine and trans. This includes clutch, release bearing, pilot bearing,speedo cable seal, front trans seal, input shaft seal, and flywheel bolts(not necessarily a wear item, but recommended). I think that is close to everything I require. The clutch in the car right now hooked up to the B18 is reportedly new, but I would rather play it safe and install a new unit at the same time. I may need a new speedo cable with the appropriate gear but since I already have an O/D fitted to the car, so I may be covered. Once I get it into the air, then I can verify further.

I understand I require the clutch alignment tool to line the clutch and pressure plate to the flywheel, it looks like that is easy enough to obtain.

I am thinking about either lightening my current 6-bolt B18 flywheel to mount to the B20, or getting an after market unit to increase performance. I did some searches through the forum archives on flywheels. I see back in '06 or '07, Craig posed a few posts about getting his flywheel lightened, but I couldn't find the results of such an operation, whether it was worthwhile or not. My personal thought is that by lightening the FW, the engine has less rotating mass to spin, and therefore, can rev quicker and get up to power more quickly. Conversely, I have read that if the FW is too light, different valve springs are needed (and the head machined) or possible valve float can occur. I am not looking for a full-on race situation, but I would like to attempt to have a strong, streetable car that is quick to move. The TTV Racing flywheels are beautiful, but most likely overkill for what I require. I would like to ask the pros/cons of doing such a procedure.

I'd also like to ask about clutch recommendations. I can find a Sachs 271263 clutch kit online, and Olof appears to provide the Borg and Beck unit. I believe a require an 8.5" unit. Are there other experiences that lend itself to a particular clutch make/model?

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Flywheel and clutch questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:26 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Let's see...so long as your B20 is not newer (8 bolt) then FW swaps right across no issues. The Sachs unit is preferred to the BB unit and will hold 150 hp without modification (but that is it...not really much more than that and others report slippage). You can always change the clutch and PP for something from the aftermarket. If you're lucky, there may be someone local that can modify/reline the set up for you.

Any old clutch alignment tool will work. I've got a plastic one that was included in a clutch kit and a generic NAPA clutch alignment tool that fits many applications. they all work. An old input shaft also works fine.

Lighten away on the flywheel to your hearts content. It would have to be very light for any issues to arise. This reduction in mass does have effect - the engine will rev much more happily. I trimmed mine down to 17 lbs from 22 ish lbs and it was a good simple modification. Any machine shop can do it. Just mostly trim from the RIM. Weight savings around the hub don't matter as much. Flip the ring gear if it's lunched.

Post subject: Re: Flywheel and clutch questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

That's perfect information to get to that stage, thank you Craig! Let the ordering and phone calls commence...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]