Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Source for exhaust parts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

Hey crew

I've been looking around for exhaust parts in Calgary, and haven't come up with much. I'd like to get my hands on some 3" mandrel bends, muffler etc. Anyone have a source they would recommend?

Post subject: Re: Source for exhaust parts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Check with Dale (Pylon). He can get Dynomax aluminized mandrels for sure, and Dynomax mufflers though I've had too many of those fail and I stay away from them now. For stainless stuff we're all shopping across the border, same with mufflers and even aluminized mandrels if you're buying bulk. Shipping them to the border and driving down to get them at one of the border storage places can save you quite a bit of money if you're buying a lot. You'll only need about 3 or at most 4 U-bends and around 5 feet of pipe for your car, so getting them locally makes a little more sense. The mufflers you're going to have to shop for though - I haven't bought a muffler in the past 4 or 5 years so I'm not sure what's available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:05 am 
First volvo in outer space

If you're interested I have a complete turbo back 3" exhaust I might be interested in selling??

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm 
Turbo'd and Intercooled!

I wondered if I might have to order from the states.. thanks for all the info!
I may be interested in the full 3"exhaust setup, tell me more about it. Turbo-back or cat back? Just a muffler or cat and resonator as well?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:12 am 
First volvo in outer space

Full 3" turbo back mandrel bent with muffler, resonator, cat, O2 bungs, heat wrapped downpipe etc. Was built for and used on a 7xx car and I bought it used, so no exact fit details for your application but it should be adaptable?? Came from Cali and wasn't used for long so it's pretty clean.

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 am 

I guess my post mislead you a bit: You can get Dynomax, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster mufflers here, but not too many people stock a huge pile of them. Mopac on 16th ave NW offers lots of stuff but much of it needs to be ordered in. Unlimited Performance needs to order EVERYTHING in. You should be able to buy locally if you like, but it might be more convenient to order from the US and have it delivered to you.

I should also let Dynomax mufflers off the hook here. I've had two mufflers fail me: both were Dynomax but both were center in & center out. I believe that with repeated heat cycling, there's too much stress between expansion of the case and expansion of the inner tube, and the inner tube breaks off & rattles around. I do think that Craig had a Dynomax muffler fail in the same way but don't remember what configuration it was. I've had decent luck with side-center configuration, where there's a bend in the inner tube that allows some flex.

What exactly were you hoping to build? What materials and components?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:27 am 

I used to buy all of my Magnaflow parts online from a Canadian dealer. They appear to not exist anymore. There are several that are now in the market that offer free shipping and good prices in Canadian dollars. Look around. Mandrel bends I always get from Columbia River Mandrel Bends and have them shipped to the border.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 am 

I can get straight pipe cheaper than anyone. As Matt said, I can get mandrel bends but only in popular configurations and my prices aren't that spectacular but likely cheaper than retail. I can get Dynomax mufflers and may be able to get others as well. I'd have to check with part numbers. Let me know what you need...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]