Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: NineteenSeventyTwo Toyota Corona
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.enormouslysideways.net/gallery/v/Corona/

omfg. dot com.

trying out the car as it is before it gets taken apart to become less sucky:

http://enormouslysideways.net/1972.Toyo ... .drive.wmv

Last edited by RaZ on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:15 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

not really sure what i'm looking at....

is that a '72 toyota with a small block v8 in it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:29 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
looks ... :? ..... interesting. Although I have to say that drag link scares the hell out of me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:20 pm 

I take no responsibility for this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

lol :)

whats a drag link? (I don't know)

the motor mounts are a joke, a 3 speed transmission is alos a joke, and the way they did the steering is retarded. Engine is getting pulled on Saturday, have a 400+ whp 350 shortblock lined up, throwing some vortec heads on it (with new valve springs, not the wussy ones) - the vortec intake mani and a big evil carb (suggestions?)

this'll be a sub 2500 dollar - VERY FAST - drag/street car :D

And yes, I will be putting a cage in this one.

- Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:15 pm 

You're nucking futs.... :P

I predict it'll get to the track...that's about it...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Wanna race, dale? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 pm 

RaZ wrote:
Wanna race, dale? ;)

Yeah, sure... You'll take me in the first race but mine will still be running for the second...and the third......and the fourth.........get my drift?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:12 am 

Before you put more engine in this thing, Raz, there are a few issues you'd better deal with first.

Make sure that driveshaft wasn't built by the farmers who also built the motor mounts and radiator hoses. Get it looked at by Drive Systems Inc. Make sure it's straight, round, and balanced, not to mention welded properly.

The drag link - that's the piece of steering that goes under the oil pan. I don't know the validity of this statement, but it's supposed to be illegal to weld or modify that piece. It's supposed to be a forged steel link, and any heating/modification is not allowed. I could be spreading hearsay or just good advise, but at the very least, yours is VERY sketchy looking, bent 90 degrees in four places. Get that looked at, because not only might it cost you YOUR life, but someone elses' too.

I'm betting that the rear end can't take the power you're already putting down, let alone another 100-150 horsepower. At the very least, traction will be a problem, and sticky tires are just going to stress that rear end even more.

Your radiator is way too tiny for the heat the 305 makes, and that exact same fan is BARELY enough in my car, which has twice the radiator.

The motor mounts are indeed someone's idea of a sick joke.

You've got lots of work to do to that car before they'll let it on the track, and a new motor ain't going to fix that. PLEASE concentrate on what's needed to make the car safe and legal!!! Just because you're on high risk insurance doesn't mean the car is allowed to be unsafe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:40 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Ugly Duck wrote:
Before you put more engine in this thing, Raz, there are a few issues you'd better deal with first.

Make sure that driveshaft wasn't built by the farmers who also built the motor mounts and radiator hoses. Get it looked at by Drive Systems Inc. Make sure it's straight, round, and balanced, not to mention welded properly.

The drag link - that's the piece of steering that goes under the oil pan. I don't know the validity of this statement, but it's supposed to be illegal to weld or modify that piece. It's supposed to be a forged steel link, and any heating/modification is not allowed. I could be spreading hearsay or just good advise, but at the very least, yours is VERY sketchy looking, bent 90 degrees in four places. Get that looked at, because not only might it cost you YOUR life, but someone elses' too.

I'm betting that the rear end can't take the power you're already putting down, let alone another 100-150 horsepower. At the very least, traction will be a problem, and sticky tires are just going to stress that rear end even more.

Your radiator is way too tiny for the heat the 305 makes, and that exact same fan is BARELY enough in my car, which has twice the radiator.

You've got lots of work to do to that car before they'll let it on the track, and a new motor ain't going to fix that. PLEASE concentrate on what's needed to make the car safe and legal!!! Just because you're on high risk insurance doesn't mean the car is allowed to be unsafe.

Hold on Raz ... yes some vehicles use thick wall tubing for drag links and of course the adjusting sleeve on tie rod ends, but in all these cases the tube is straight, no bends. Matt is correct in saying that there is tremendous liability in any modifications to the steering linkage. Steering and brakes are the only 2 areas a mechanic can loose their licence if repairs and/or modifications are not done correctly. Any parts used in the steering system are rigerously engineered to withstand the highest forces placed upon them, tolerences are very tight. This is NOT something to design yourself, use the factory part.

Remember we are looking out for your safety and the safety of those on the road. The little Toyotoa is very cool, but do it right and don't risk your life or anyone elses.

Last edited by Volvord on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Ugly Duck wrote:

I knooow :)

Ugly Duck wrote:

Actually was thinking of having one custom made once I decided on rear end, engine, and transmission.

Ugly Duck wrote:

I'm throwing that drag link away and getting a stock one from another corona and then getting 'the right oil pan' for whatever SBC gets dropped in. Hey, who says it has to be an SBC? (lol!) - Don't worry, I don't want this thing to be some piece of shit like all my other cars, I want this done right.

Ugly Duck wrote:

Not sure what rear end to go with, apparently the ones off toyota trucks can stand up to a fair amount of power and only cost about 150 bux to get shortened and rebalanced (so that I don't have wheels OUTSIDE my wheel well).

Any other suggestions would be MUCH appreciated for rear ends.

Ugly Duck wrote:

Yup, something big and aluminium, or just big and custom end tanks should do the job - as you may still be failing to realize here: I have grown up a tiny bit, well, in some areas, I realize this car has potential to be very very cool and fun, but also to be very very dangerous and stupid.

Ugly Duck wrote:

Yup, they are darn near useless :) strong ones with actual dampeners in them will be fabbed up, care of Hillbilly Motorsports (my friends fab company)

Ugly Duck wrote:

[/quote]

I really want this car to impress everyone, even the tech guy at race city, I want him to say that I did a good job putting it together with a balance of safety and stupid amounts of power at the same time. Just because I'm looking at high compression SBCs and thinking of what gearbox to go in, doesn't mean I'm also thinking of making sure the frame won't buckle, the brakes will actually STOP this thing, and that there will be a roll cage in place.

- Rasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:17 pm 

Glad to hear it.

I said this to you on the phone but again for posterity: the above comments were made without the attempt to be condecending or rude. Those are issues I see with the car, and in my opinion I think they're the areas that should be targeted first.

Get the steering fixed and you'll be well on the way to making this a fun toy. Do it wrong or don't do it at all and it's a deathtrap that shouldn't be anywhere near a public road.

Generally I'm okay with whatever people want to spend their money on and whatever automotive tastes people have is fine with me, though I might not share them. On this project, however, I'm going to be a bit more vocal. I don't want to see a friend get killed, and I don't think anyone else does either. On the other hand, if you've really got the attitude that this will be something you'll be proud of, I'll be the first to shake your hand once it's done and the first to congratulate you. I know I sound like Uncle Matt, and I'm sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:46 am 
Site Admin

Steering is VERY high on the priority list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:00 am 

Can't go sideways without steering, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Right. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]