Change font size
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 10:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: clutch and trany for 240 Rally
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:57 pm 
4 Valves per cylinder!

Hey there,

Rumor has it people are getting together to order a racing clutch - if this is true please count me in. If not could comeone suggest a bullet proof clutch for rally racing.

As well, I need to switch my M46 for the mustang trany. If someone has done this swap could they please let me know all the parts i have to order, and if they know where to get them. Turbobricks is a bit confusing on this subject.

Thanks,

Houston

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:47 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

If you want a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for the M46, go here: http://www.calgaryvolvoclub.com/forum/v ... .php?t=563 That's the thread that Brad started this summer, and we've just revived it. He's yet to get back to me on the clutch cost, but I'll update that thread when he does.

If you want to install a Mustang transmission, you must also install a clutch that'll work with a Mustang transmission, and the clutch we're ordering is for the Volvo transmission.

To install a Mustang T5 transmission, you've got to try and track down one of the bellhousing adapters, do some machining on the bellhousing, get a clutch made for the job, modify your flywheel to accept that clutch, get the proper pilot bearing, get a driveshaft built, get a speedometer cable built, etc. The guy building the bellhousing adapters is VERY hit-and-miss, sometimes it takes him months to ship your product. There are some folks on Tbricks with extra adapters or adapters they're not using at the moment, so you might be able to score one there. Also, nobody on CVC has done the T5 swap yet, so it's best if you ask around on Tbricks. Try PM'ing Hank Scorpio or DBarton for starters. Once the full site is back up, there's an article on installing a T5.

As far as I know, nobody's installed a T45 or a T56 yet. The T45 is close to the T5 in mounting scheme, but the input shaft is longer so I doubt the normal bellhousing and adapter will work. The T56 is totally different, and you might say it's close to impossible to easily mount it, for now. Dale, Athal and I are working on something rather elegant for that, but it won't be ready for a couple years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:15 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

The mustang tranny sound like a lot of work. What is the opinion on the 5 speed M47 transmission. They seem to be pretty hard to find. What cars did these trannys come in?

I'm looking at putting a manual tranny in my 90' sedan. For now I need it to work with my stock B230 N/A engine but eventually I am going to build a turbo motor for the car. I'd like to put some thing in the car that would be able to eventually handle about 250hp. What are the options? and how durable are those mustange trannys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:50 pm 

The Mustang transmissions are good to around 400 crankshaft horsepower, IF the transmission is in good shape AND the driver is semi-gentle with it. No powershifting...

The M47 is supposed to be about as strong as an M46. Same gear widths, same bearing sizes, same shaft diameters... The aluminum case M46s and M47s are supposed to be a bit beefier than the iron case M46s, but the iron case is more rigid and supposedly keeps things better in line, so it's a tradeoff. All three of these transmissions are safe to about 250 crankshaft horsepower, and occasionally can take more. Some folks have blown them up with B230F's though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:16 pm 

Yup, what matt said. m47s are also supposed to be notorious for killing 5th gear, but slightly overfilling the tranny with good fluid apparently cures that.
It's all about how rough you are. One good clutch drop or power shift can kill it, even behind a b21f. 3rd gear is "weakest", that's where guys have blown things up just rolling onto the throttle. torque is what kills it, so 250hp might be doable, but not necessarily if you're making 300lbft.

I don't plan on finding the limit of my current m46- my fuel set up will take me to about 250horse, and i'm hoping my cam etc will keep me around 250ft lbs as well with a relatively flat torque curve. I also don't drive it roughly. T-cam with it's heaps of low end torque can kill the tranny, especially if you have lots of traction in back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:02 pm 
Canadian Tire Bolt ons

I've been doing some reading. T-bricks is down but on anthony hydes sit and dave bartons there is a ton of info. So is it the getrag M51 that your talking about when you refer to the mustang trannies. Is this the same as the toyota supra tranny? cause it seems like everyone is talking toyota supra?
As far as bellhousings, what about the sam steffenson one?

Again, what cars came with the M47?

And what about the M90?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:16 pm 

Mustang tranny is a T-5 (get's confusing when talking about mating it to a T-5 engine!). getrags came in some 635csi's i think, hard to find, and expensive to rebuild. supra tranny the one that came in later supra turbo's i believe (can't remember if it's 3rd or 4th gen supras).
i don't know about sam steffanson bellhousing. the dellow bellhousing for supras comes from australia and apparently has some quality issues.
M47 came in ~87(?) and up 240's and possibly non-turbo 740s but i'm not sure about that.
M90 was never sold in north america. it's a direct bolt in for 700/900 series cars, was the standard tranny for 900 series cars. available from overseas, would require modding the shifter location to fit a 240.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:51 pm 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
M47 came in ~87(?) and up 240's and possibly non-turbo 740s but i'm not sure about that.

i believe 700's mostly got m46's...if they did get an m47 though i would bet you'll find it in a wagon

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
M90 was never sold in north america. it's a direct bolt in for 700/900 series cars, was the standard tranny for 900 series cars. available from overseas, would require modding the shifter location to fit a 240.

~$1000 USD as well

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:52 am 
I can fix the world

just some motivation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Edicius wrote:
just some motivation

lil more motivashon :)

:-)

I want to go rallying now!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:07 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

87+ 240 have the M47 and the tragically very heavy flywheel that was used on all 87+ cars down here NA or turbo.
87+700 NAs except for the 16V have the M47. 16V kept the M46 to atleast 90...I guess the overdrive was more "exclusive."

The syncros were improved in late 90. Mom's 90 has the old style syncros, and about 170k-km. My beater (92 M47) had the fluid changed and properly topped up (at MVP of all places) fairly regularly in the service records and had the later syncros. It shifted quite a lot better with 540k-km. Mom's was owned by an anal guy who drove it slow and took it to the dealer and then MVP. I also noticed this improvement driving a 91 745T with more miles also, so I'd say they make a nice improvement.

The T5 comes in a few of different popular ratios and configurations. Most mustang have the wider ratio box (3.35 1st gear) with a pretty big step into 5th at a .68 5th. The 2.95 1st gear box I don't think was ever a factory part on a mustang. The camaro on the other hand got the 2.95 1st gear box in just about all 3rd gens. I want to say that all camaro use the .73:1 5th, but I'm not 100% sure. For one year in 1992 on the IROC-Z, they are rumored to have a 2.68:1 1st and pretty close ratio spread accoding to my primitive camaro T5 ratio chart.

You don't want the T5 from a 4 cylinder mustang, as the ratios are even worse than the volvo and the trans isn't enough stronger than an M4x IMO to warrant the bother.
Despite having rebuilt one and helping rebuild another, they don't shift terribly pleasantly. I remember getting pretty decent parts for at least one and not really leaving anything unchecked. I don't mind this a ton, but I also think the guys who say how great they shift are used to driving real heavy shifting muscle cars. My getrag feels pretty buttery in comparison, but the ratios suck (not as bad as an M46 atleast).

For my next 240, it will probably get the closest ratio spread camaro T5 I can find because they are pretty abundantly available to me. The camaro input shaft is different....2.95 ford input shafts should be compatible for those insisting on using the v-performance adapter The camaro T5 is also mounted on an incline...mounting is straight with a custom mount or swapping the tailhousing would be a solutions. I'll probably put a 4.10 axle behind it.
For my latest clutch, I used a kevlar disc with the BMW spline pattern and my old sachs sport pressure plate. It grips fine and has good engagement feel and I can daily drive it or modulate it fine. It has some squeak under load when taking off. I also suspect the springs in the hub aren't designed with dampening all/most of the vibration from my redblock tractor in mind. The getrag has few diesel applications, so I doubt that I will chew up any of the sleeves or anything of that sort in the gearbox from pulsation in the torque delivery, but it is something I thought about a bit.
Good gearing in a car made to be flogged is a lot of fun. Strength, gearing options and price are the main reasons why my next 240 will probably end up with a camaro T5 of some sort. /benchrace
I probably could have avoided all this goofing around with manual gearboxes or swapping anything had I left the AWeful-71 in my 940T and planned the same for my next 240, but what is the fun in that?
Edit: Good god those photos are huge. Looks like you had fun though!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]