Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help with diagnoses
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:43 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

1985 740 turbo m46 w/overdrive

Am i have a clutch or a transmission problem??

For awhile now my car hasnt been shifting very well. It does not like to go into first or second from a stop, and if you do manage to get it into first it usually requires a lot of force. it goes into 3rd and 4th ok but still not very smooth. Now i figured that the transmission was dying a slow painful death but once you are moving it shifts pretty well doesnt grind or make any weird noises.

I changed the fluid and bled the clutch which seemed to work for a short time, but now its back to its crappy shifting etc.

Now the reason i am confused is the clutch does not slip. I can start in second no problems and it will immediately stall if you try to start in 4th. It occasionally grinds when going into reverse and with the engine off it seems to be able to row through the gears fairly easily.

For some reason i think its the clutch but since the clutch is not slipping im not sure if i should order a new clutch or not.

any insight is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:59 pm 
747 Jet engine being stuffed into trunk

Synchros? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:29 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

almost sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging, i had the same problem with my mechanical clutch when my cable was not adjusted properly. Since bleeding it seemed to help for a bit the first time i'd check all the hydraulic lines, maybe somewhere along air is seeping into the system, i duno someone else can probably give more insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

My hydro clutch is doing the same thing right now. Could be pilot bearing too...

But basically it's a clutch job either way.

Check this: push the clutch in all the way and put it into first. Leave the clutch pushed in and pull it half out of gear (so that the synchro is still engaged but it's out of gear) and try to put it back into first. If it grinds, your clutch is dragging. Same effect can be had by putting the car into any gear (with the car stopped dead) and trying to engage reverse - if it grinds going into reverse directly after taking it out of gear, the clutch is dragging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:01 pm 

good info,

the hydraulics are ok for sure, fluid level has not changed and no air is coming out of the lines when i bleed the system. it does grind reverse sometimes which is why i was thinking clutch in the first place. I am just a little hesitant to buy a clutch kit if the car doesnt need it since its a royal pain in the ass. If i am going to drop the tranny which it looks like i might end up doing i might as well put a new clutch in i suppose.

Another thing i have been thinking about is the clutch pivot arm, apparently these wear down and can make for some wonky shifty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hey dude, I'll gladly help you change your clutch, its super easy.
Let me know when and where :)

- R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:00 pm 

thanks raz, if or when i decide to pull the tranny i will give you a call. Ive got air tools so it should be easy, i just wish i had a trans jack :) maybe i can make one though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 am 
I can fix the world

dude, they are light enough to man handle. the iron case ones are like 125lbs(redcase) and the other ones are somewhere around 70lbs. Its easy enough to just drop it on yourself and figure it out then. Putting it in is super easy too as long as the cross member is still on, the notches on it are perfect for the legs and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:02 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
My hydro clutch is doing the same thing right now. Could be pilot bearing too...

But basically it's a clutch job either way.

Check this: push the clutch in all the way and put it into first. Leave the clutch pushed in and pull it half out of gear (so that the synchro is still engaged but it's out of gear) and try to put it back into first. If it grinds, your clutch is dragging. Same effect can be had by putting the car into any gear (with the car stopped dead) and trying to engage reverse - if it grinds going into reverse directly after taking it out of gear, the clutch is dragging.

Hmm it does not grind at all. I can also get into reverse without griding what so ever... which leads me to believe it might not be the clutch after all.

Edicus wrote:
dude, they are light enough to man handle. the iron case ones are like 125lbs(redcase) and the other ones are somewhere around 70lbs. Its easy enough to just drop it on yourself and figure it out then. Putting it in is super easy too as long as the cross member is still on, the notches on it are perfect for the legs and such.

I know the trans isnt very heavy but its still a pain trying to line it up to the engine while bench pressing it on your back... just making work more difficult for yourself.. I have pulled more than enough mr2 engines and trannies to know what works easiest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

I've done four of these trannies recently, so i've kinda got an edge on doing them, they aren't heavy, and ligning them up is alllll in the wrist - lol.

- R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:20 pm 

LOL all i know is every tranny REandRE i have done without a jack has been hell trying to line the thing back up... although my mr2 tranny weighs a lot compared to an m46 i suppose

PS raz why have you pulled the tranny 4 times lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:02 pm 
I can fix the world

I found a good way is to have the tranny lined up mostly, then pull the jack in and hold the tranny on that, then get behind it and you can line it up super easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:53 pm 

so who wants to come over wednesday evening and help me?!!!??\\

i have two bolts left on the driveshaft to undo then take out the tranny, install the new pivot ball and arm, then put it back up and bolt everything together

anyone? prob get home from work around 530pm

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:08 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Tha VZA wrote:

i have two bolts left on the driveshaft to undo then take out the tranny, install the new pivot ball and arm, then put it back up and bolt everything together

ciao

Hmmm let me think :roll:
help Vik :roll: :roll:

Work on my own car and get ot running, since there seems to be more that needs doing on it every day :twisted:

Sorry Vik, my car win ... have to work on it as I only have 2 weekends to finish it and as of today I added a bunch more work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:09 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Tha VZA wrote:

ciao

Hmmm let me think :roll:
help Vik :roll: :roll:

Work on my own car and get it running, since there seems to be more that needs doing on it every day :twisted:

Sorry Vik, my car win ... have to work on my car as I only have 2 weekends to finish it, and as of today I added a bunch more work

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next