Change font size
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 1967 Volvo 131 - The Project
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am 
Adding another 100shot of N2O

Cold comes out the bottom for sure... I might have an air lock that I will try to track down. A bit of standing and chin holding for now.

As for the fueling issue, I took the offending carb's float out and cleaned the inlet ports, and checked the level and needle , all looks good there. I didn't have a ton of time (and I am not that familiar yet with the main jet area to take it apart for inspection), so I popped on the other HS6 carb that I had, and it runs great. Took it around the block and this thing MOVES. Or it could just be that I forgot how it used to move... :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Good to hear...hopefully the HS6's will work properly!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:00 pm 
Adding another 100shot of N2O

Update: Car is totally road worthy.

I blew out the jet on my rebuilt carb, installed it, and it was good to go. Obviously a bit of swarf/goop stuck in the jet was preventing it from working properly.

I took the car into a local trusted garage (they used to work on my WRX when I still had it), to go over it, adjust where needed and to fit the exhaust. I think I could have tackled the list of items to do, but time is of the issue, and I wanted to drive it already. The owner is a real car nut, he has a 123GT he is trying to talk me into, along with factory fresh fenders and centre grill. We'll see if time and money allows it, we still have to talk on that.
The list of items done on my car was:
- check/adjust timing
- adjust/balance carbs
- adjust valves
- fit Simons sports exhaust - the Simons resonator wouldn't fit due to the header configuration, so he installed a different resonator. Not a huge concern for me at this time.
- check clutch engagement

Some things he did fix up but I didn't ask for, was:
- the O/D not working. I still have to fully test it.
- reverse lights not working - it's actually a joy to see them light up, as weird as that sounds.
- driveshaft centre rubber was misaligned (didn't even know about that)

As for the cooling issue, I installed a 13 PSI rad cap and that fixed the pressure issue and any leaks. the cap shipped with the rad was 1.8 bar, which equated to 26 PSI. I thought to try a lower one and see if it made any difference. No overheating, and no leaks. I can't argue with the result.

It has lots of pep, the real thing holding it back now is the suspension. It seems to roll quite a bit, but the ride is soft. Once that gets tightened up, I'll be very pleased with the overall package. To be honest, since I have not driven it extensively, it's hard to judge what is normal and what can be improved. I might chuck some carpet in to make it seem more civilized.
When I get it running and warmed up, I will get a video of the exhaust sound.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7