Change font size
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 142 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: 1966 Volvo 122
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Can anyone spot the difference?

These long pauses between periods of progress have to come to an end. This summer was very unsatisfying, even though it was fairly busy, and due to the rain delaying a couple things, other projects have piled up until pretty much last weekend. My goal now is to have it done for Street Machine Weekend 2020, or done enough to bring down and play. I have some life to deal with in the meantime so there might not be much progress every weekend but I'm working on it whenever reasonable, and I have a rough timeframe laid out to help keep me on target. This car has been weighing me down for too long, and has not been a fun experience. I've learned a lot though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:01 am 

Last time I saw that rear quarter it looked like someone had taken a very large hammer to it (may have even been me!). It looks fantastic now! Way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:54 am 

It's really not bad, considering. We had way too much material behind the arch, I really should have cut some out but I wasn't in a good place for that (still true). I just want the car done and am happy it looks as good as it does. I spent plenty of time trying to shrink it and work it and get it to be close while not oil canning, the rest had to be done with filler. I sacrificed some shape to keep the filler thickness to a minimum. You'll only see the shape difference if you template the right side, and even then it's not major, but a paint thickness gauge probably wouldn't tell a very nice story...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm 
First volvo in outer space

Good to see you back at it Matt, look forward to seeing the car for SMW 2020!

66 122S (Garage Queen)
89 244 (Hers)
90 745Ti (Mine)
89 744 (SOLD/Bought back for other daughter)
78 242GT (Project... LOL)
91 244 (Don't Ask!!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:22 am 

I've had a few rough weeks so progress was slow, but I finally have something to show for my effort. Epoxy is down.

I have a little work to do on the roof before I can spray the primer surfacer, at which point I'll mask off the body and spray some colour on the front & rear glass sealing lip, the trunk sealing lip, and the door jambs. We need paint underneath the window seals and the tape line will be hidden by the seal, and doing the trunk seal area is something I should have done when I painted the trunk but didn't think of it. Masking these areas from the backside sucks a little, so I'd rather get the paint on them now while I have the insides masked. The door jambs are being done because the doors will be hung, painted, and all of that will be sealed off for painting the rest of the car in the booth.

Once that's done we'll be on to the next panel: the trunk lid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:52 am 

Leave the glass out...it's more work than it's worth. Sure doors etc...but I'd be leaving that glass out or you may have problems like I've got with the 242.

Are you two-tone painting the car?

I hate trunk lids.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:54 pm 

Glass will remain out during painting, my thought was that when we paint the exterior I'd rather mask the front & rear window openings from the outside rather than try to mask them from the inside. Masking to the inside leaves a big dust trap in the giant gap between the backside of the window frame and the outside surface of the paper: masking to the outside is much cleaner.

No, I'm not two-tone painting the car. Why, did you have a thought?

I know you hate trunk lids... you've only been working on one of your own for a couple months now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 142 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10