Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 22   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:48 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Hmmm, you know what, Ian? You got a solid maybe. I'm not even a little interested in car shows anymore, but I'm game for a road trip and a visit. We'll see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:50 am 

Volvord wrote:
Awesome Matt, always good when the project car is in good condition and there are no bad surprises. This car has also made Craig very happy, he can keep up with someone :lol: (sorry Craig, JK)

Bring it down to Lethbridge this year, it would be a great addition to the CVC Team entry.

Matt, you have to bring that sexy thing to the 'Bridge, they've never seen something that pretty in this part of the world. With any luck we'll be making the same HP numbers by that time...but I'm 1000 lbs lighter. Wow, not every day you get to say that!

Hey, can we get a banner or something for the CVC booth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:26 pm 
Somehow completely sideways in 4th

Hey Matt, so what's with this thing... always liked the 780 styling... someone down the street used to frequently have a visitor with a antelope(?) metallic brown (greyer and darker than what could be called gold) with similar colour interior. The V6/auto kept me from getting too into it, but curious what you've done...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:32 am 

All I've done so far is fix what was keeping me from driving it and doing just that. I've done practically nothing since the last post I made.

Plans this winter are to do the T5 transmission conversion behind the Eagle Premier motor, possibly turbocharge it, and take care of some housekeeping. The V6 is staying around: the B280 seems to be a fairly well executed overhaul of the B28, and is more worthy of being under the hood of a Volvo product. Ironically, only Volvos seemed to have trouble with the B27/B28, and the Renault/Peugeot/Citroen/Delorean guys have nothing but good things to say about theirs. Something about changing your oil once in a blue moon, which the average Volvo guy tends to take less seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:23 am 

Love it, to paraphrase - you're just going to toss together a T5 swap and build a monster motor and put it in the 780 - no biggie, piece of piss. :shock: Now that's a SWEDISH attitude (or is that sweetish).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:07 am 

no no....that's just Mattish 8)

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:29 pm 

Well here's one for the books: After lecturing Greg about his car on Sunday (ran fine one day, ran crappy the next), the same thing happened to the 780 on Tuesday. Never ran better than the drive back from Lethbridge, and then on Tuesday I brought it to work to get the windshield fixed and it runs like crap. Runs fine when cold, but as it warms up it starts to lose 2 cylinders at idle. The longer it idles, the worse those 2 cylinders get.

If I unplug the injectors sequentially, I find that #2 and #5 (center cylinders on both sides) don't respond by dropping RPMs as much as the other 4. Since I went through the ignition system earlier, I'm betting the injectors are bad, but this engine has head gasket issues as well as compression issues, so I'm not going to bother with it.

I've got an Eagle Premier motor on a stand, and I was going to go through it and see what kind of shape it's in inside, and use it. However, finding parts for them (or the B280) is NOT easy!

Athal (you jerk) mentioned how this car deserves a nice alloy 4 cam V8. Yep, it sure does. I wonder what I could get for an LS400? Anyone know if the Cadillac Northstar bolts up to a standard RWD transmission?

Am I nuts?

Edit - yes, apparently I am. Lexuses (lexi?) primarily have a front sump, at least anything in the US/Canada does. Not gonna happen. Northstars might have a mid-rear sump, which could work with the 700 frame, and will bolt up to a 700-R4 transmission that has a 60* V6 pattern. Neither are cheap or easy to deal with, though.

Last edited by Ugly Duck on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:42 pm 

THere are a metric butt load of SC400 engines on car-part.com. The expensive ones are $1500, but sub-$500 ones are plentiful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:09 pm 

Harsh! Sorry to hear about this Matt.

So you don't want to bother changing head gaskets on the existing engine? I understand parts are hard to come by, but it seems like building parts to mount a completely different engine is harder no? Or is it just that this engine will never be a super good engine?

My vote is still on a turbo V6. A modern V8 sounds nice, but the turbos just sound more exciting to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm 

swedishmeatballrocket wrote:
THere are a metric butt load of SC400 engines on car-part.com. The expensive ones are $1500, but sub-$500 ones are plentiful!

See my edit. Lexus V8 would not work, unless I get one from a Soarer or an ambulance. They're the only ones with a rear sump. Then I still need the transmission from an LS/SC.

Greg, it's more than headgaskets, unfortunately. It's damn tough to find main bearings, an oil pump is $400, piston rings are near impossible to find, etc. The engine was designed to be thrown away, not rebuilt. According to the manuals, the heads cannot be decked, the cylinders cannot be bored, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:56 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
swedishmeatballrocket wrote:

See my edit. Lexus V8 would not work, unless I get one from a Soarer or an ambulance. They're the only ones with a rear sump. Then I still need the transmission from an LS/SC.

If you put an engine from a Soarer in that car can we call you the Swedish equivalent of a ricer :lol: There's a company here in town (I'm sure Calgary has 5) that do the imports of these cars - wrong hand drive, big ass turbo's, crappy exhaust notes. They could suppy the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:07 pm 

122_Canuck wrote:
If you put an engine from a Soarer in that car can we call you the Swedish equivalent of a ricer :lol: There's a company here in town (I'm sure Calgary has 5) that do the imports of these cars - wrong hand drive, big ass turbo's, crappy exhaust notes. They could suppy the engine.

Yeah, that or those cars will start appearing in wrecking yards soon, from the dudes crashing them. There are a LOT of Soarers in town at present, and most of the dudes driving them likely want to become drift masters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:58 am 

Wow, you two seem to have some pretty strong opinions about this... I sure wouldn't want to be called a ricer or a drift master because I put a Soarer engine in my already international Volvo. Better keep looking, I guess. :lol:

And no, a Volvo 4 banger is NOT going in this car, so that basically rules out "keeping it in the family".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Wow, you two seem to have some pretty strong opinions about this... I sure wouldn't want to be called a ricer or a drift master because I put a Soarer engine in my already international Volvo. Better keep looking, I guess. :lol:

And no, a Volvo 4 banger is NOT going in this car, so that basically rules out "keeping it in the family".

Na, we won't call you a ricer - I was just kidding. All engine swaps are OK with me. Greg's point is well made, there are lots of sub-ricer stuff showing up at the PYP (that Supra we were talking about, there's a 300Z and some other nonsense with stickers and symbols that mean things in the far east) - I'm sure someone will be wrapping one around a pole and sending it your way.

This could be totally bitchin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:33 am 

Nah, I wouldn't call you a wannabe drift master Matt...you already are! (I've never been with anyone else who has drifted through a Calgary on-ramp).

I wasn't saying a Soarer engine was a BAD thing. My point was that there are likely going to be more of those cars around, likely because of the people driving them. (In Medicine Hat, I know of two guys in the last while who have bought JDM vehicles, and promptly crashed them.) I actually like those cars when done properly, and the engines are wicked. DO IT.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 22   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next