Change font size
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 22   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

I'm just teasing all y'alls.

Problem is, most of the Soarers around here have the 2JZ-GTE motor... which in itself isn't a bad thing, but it's not the alloy V8 I was thinking of. I-6 twin turbo is never bad.

Which brings me back to the very fleeting thought of the B6284FT, thereby bringing this car to more-Volvo status than it was delivered.

Edit again - holy hell, '92 & '93 SC400s are pretty cheap!

Yet another edit - Rick Thomas is going to keep an eye out for me. He reminded me how nice the Lincoln 4v motor is, too... and that it will fit into a 240. That might actually be the best option, in terms of quad cam 4v V8 stuff. Proper sump location, decent transmission, all alloy, solid engine. Can probably pick one of those up for cheap, too, and he might be interested in the rear end for his Falcon. Actually, Craig... rear end possibilities right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:54 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

I'm pretty sure the soarers have the 1JZ-GTE 2.5L Twin Turbo engine? If they are JDM anyway...

You won't find a 2JZ in one of those unless it was swapped. You can find a 2JZ in a SC300, but those weren't sold in Canada.

Again, I could be out to lunch with the soarers.. but from what I understand the turbo models are only 2.5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:00 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Which brings me back to the very fleeting thought of the B6284FT, thereby bringing this car to more-Volvo status than it was delivered.

DO IT.

That or the M62B44 out of a 5 series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:22 pm 

My bad... I thought the twin turbo JDM was the 2JZ.

And the B6284FT is probably also not an option, due to the fact that I'd need 2 donor cars (a S80T6 and a 960). With the Lincoln, I"d get an all alloy 4 cam V8 that's 4.6 litres, 280 hp minimum, an acceptable 4 speed automatic with electronic shift control, aftermarket support, and all sorts of other good stuff. And I'd get it all from the same machine. AND I'd get it with an IRS that Craig might be able to use, or I'd be able to sell at some point.

And I wouldn't be stuck with 2 donor cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:33 pm 
I can fix the world

You should see the size of the turbo on the new T6 motor...its really big! And has some funky variable vanes or something, I have to take a course on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Matt

My 960s motor will be coming out this winter. I don't know the outcome of it, but right now it looks like a redblock will be going in. I found a 940SE for the redblock swap if I go through with it.

If you did want to do the volvo I6 route this could save you one donor car. Everything you should need I probably won't need if I go the redblock route.

Just food for thought, sounds like you want to go the V8 route though. Which is just as cool because it's so different.

I would like to see you go 2JZ though. I know all the kidz are going dorifto with them, but I would like to see what you could do with one of those motors. If an idiot like me can make 400+ WHP you'll be doing 800 without a sweat. Of course on the stock block because they're good for 900+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:31 pm 

Well I like food, and I like thought, so I'll think and chew on this dilemma for a while.

Seriously, though, I can probably get a solid running Mk VII for $1500, which will donate 90% of the stuff I would need if I go this direction. Like I said earlier, I think I've finally come to grips with this car being a luxury car with sportiness, rather than a sports car with luxury. It's not going to get a high strung small displacement motor if I can help it. The 2jz, B6284FT, or even the turbo PRV would all be good choices, but the small 4 cam V8 thing is really drawing my imagination right now.

Honestly, I would like to keep things simple and sweet. Factory tuning would be ideal, as would a minimum of "bodge". I know that either the Lincoln or the SC400 powertrains would be solid and reliable and make the kind of "sophisticated power" that I'm looking for, and both would be different enough to turn my own crank. The I6 is not a bad idea, but again I'm not really interested in crazy power right now, and packaging is still a worry. I know if you're stripping the 960 of all it's "60" parts, I could probably grab everything necessary to make a B6284FT swap pretty simple, except that I'd still need to find an S80T6 for cheap, and get everything bolted up and working together. It would look like a factory install, though, which is a plus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm 

3.4L SHO V8? Yummyha heads and cossy block apparently...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 pm 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Wow, you two seem to have some pretty strong opinions about this... I sure wouldn't want to be called a ricer or a drift master because I put a Soarer engine in my already international Volvo.

wow, they gonna hate my car lol!

i dont really have an opinion on what motor to use, but the fact you are putting it into a rare'r 700 series excites me greatly!!!! 8)

ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:50 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
Whatever engine you choose Matt the conversion will be awesome.
another option would be the Shortstar V6, this is the same engine as I have in my Intrigue, it is a V6 version of the Northstar GM's LX5 engine ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:18 am 

Ugly Duck wrote:
Lincoln, I"d get an all alloy 4 cam V8 that's 4.6 litres, 280 hp minimum, an acceptable 4 speed automatic with electronic shift control, aftermarket support, and all sorts of other good stuff. And I'd get it all from the same machine. AND I'd get it with an IRS that Craig might be able to use, or I'd be able to sell at some point.

If you pick up the Lincoln, I'll take the IRS and make it worth your while - seriously not kidding one little bit. Whatever you come up with will be one smokin' car. While keeping it in the family is always cool, what could be better than the sound of a 4V 8? I'm already very partial to the look of the 780 and with some stump pulling power that thing would put a smile on your face every time you got it in and crossed the wires.

May the Volvo God's shine their light upon you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 pm 

Sweet. Okay, we'll see where this goes. I'm really jazzed about the V8 idea, but I'm also thinking along the lines of first pulling apart and inspecting the Eagle motor and trying that first if it seems like it's in good nick.

Ironically, for the amount of coolness built into the Mark 8 for what I'm seeing for $2000, I'm wondering why I'd bother with the swap into a 780, or why I'm bothering with the 740 as a "winter" car? Some snows for the winter, some FR-500s and stickys for the summer, rig up something to delete the airbag suspension & skooshy shocks, and it would be a pretty flash car. Sell both my heaps and I'd be miles ahead of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 pm 
0-60 in VERY FAST

So did I read that right??

You're thinking of selling both your Volvos and just driving the Mark 8 now :shock: :lol: :rolleyes:

Well, that does make sense if you like the styling!

All these crazy engine swaps just lead to alot less time enjoying the car, but half the fun is dreaming them up. I could have a conversation with myself about this for hours (i'm sure everyone here already knows this, especially if visiting tbricks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:51 am 

You have to remember a few things, Geoff:

- I'm not a Volvo guy. I'm a car guy.
- It's been time for me to move on for a while now.
- I'm married with a new kid. I don't have that much time to tinker with cars anymore.
- I'm not broke, but I shouldn't be spending too much money ATM.

I may or may not get rid of my junk. Who knows? I'm freakin' tired of all the hassle, and things are really boring me right now. I don't have Craig's energy, your space, or enough money to do this kind of stuff tight now. I'll honestly probably struggle through and carry on, because I hate selling stuff and I kind of need a wagon and I know how stupid it is to try to have a funky "year rounder" in Calgary, but I'm GOING to bitch about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:40 am 
0-60 in VERY FAST

Matt

I remember your previous car chats with me, so I'm not really surprised you'd dump the volvos all together. I don't blame you either.. I really don't think volvos are anything to scream about, other then they are different.

It's funny (well actually serious) but I'm in a very similar boat. My girlfriend and I are expecting on December 18th. I'm tired of having junk sitting that I'm not using. In reality, I hardly even need a car at all. I don't have time to work on much of anything, and my place to store stuff could come to an end. I also might be doing my own business thing soon, so the time I will have, I'll want with my child or doing something enjoyable.

I hate selling things too. If old volvos were worth anything I'd actually sell them. But, I doubt my rust free 242 could even fetch $2000. Not even worth it to sell at that point.

I think bitching about things is the best way to get it figured. So keep bitching!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 22   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next