Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:33 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Pylon wrote:
... it really shouldn't take that long to clean up the engine bay...

Famous last words if there ever were any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 am 

UPDATE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 am 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
122_Canuck wrote:
UPDATE!!

(picture a large group of friends and Volvo enthusiasts gathered together all chanting)
UPDATE!!
UPDATE!!
UPDATE!!
UPDATE!!
UPDATE!!
UPDATE!!
UPDATE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:16 pm 

Right then...

The Mud Slingin' Maniac division of Coburn Performance spent a few (ok...many would be more accurate) hours over the weekend prepping the 122 for some primer. This is not a task for the weak of heart for many things can, and often do, go wrong. At first I was very hesitant to pick up and piece of sandpaper and participate in the fun for fear of messing up many hours of work. It took me a long time to realize that I too could have fun and while I don't think I messed up anything beyond repair, my confidence certainly isn't at a level where I'd do it anywhere, any time...

First task was to strengthen up the inner fenders. There is a spot just above the frame rail and just in front of the firewall that seems to be responsible for much of the stiffness in the front end. Of course, on a rusty 41 year-old car that section has been subject to much flexing, twisting and tearing. First we welded up the tears and then welded panels of 14 gauge steel over top to give it more strength than it ever had from the factory. Yes, I know this seems to be somewhat of a theme with this car...

That task completed, it was time to get slinging some mud...

And then most of it was sanded off...

This was repeated many times until the panel was correct. While we used a significant amount of mud, most of it ended up in powder on the floor. I checked with a small and relatively weak magnet and it will stick anywhere we've done any repair work. We sanded, shaped, mudded, sanded and shaped until our arms felt like they would fall off. Finally we got to the point where it was time to don the gas mask, fill the paint gun and spray some primer. Here is the result...

I think this was the toughest panel of the bunch. I worked for a long time to get it straight...

And our chosen weapons of mass destruction...

Keep in mind, the primered spots are not ready for paint just yet. There are still some tiny nicks and scratches that must be filled with spot putty and then some hi-build primer to help blend in things. The whole car will be sanded down to the original blue paint and then primed and sanded again. The porous surface of the body filler soaks up the primer so it looks like an uneven surface. It's not. Craig has done a mighty impressive job of getting everything straight...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:45 pm 

Wow those welds look hideous on film...some difficult positions to weld (upside down hanging over a fender). They are ugly but strong. My arms are all better now - but on Sunday I could hardly raise my hands over my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 pm 

THAT's why i can't handle the body work! I did both rear fenders on my car in about 5 or 6 hours, and the results speak for themselves... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:31 pm 

Nice! Looks great. When the primer goes on, it all becomes worth it. It looks sooooo smooth.

Post subject: Fun in the Garage with the 122
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 am 

I can tell you categorically that a B234/M46 combination will not fit in a 122 without some massaging of various body and engine parts. Pictures later today when I have time. If I can get an intake that will work with the engine standing straight up, the picture becomes significantly clearer... :)

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 am 

Well...

First and foremost you cannot drop the engine and transmission in as one unit without dropping the front subframe. The "drop" in the B230 oil pan happens sooner than in the B20 oil pan so the engine needs to be further back before it'll drop. Problem is, it won't clear the firewall in order to do so. It ends up wedged diagonally. Here are some shots I took after I got it in place and brought the subframe back up...

Another issue is the B230 oil pan has a big bulge on the driver side and it hits the lower A-arm just in front of the pivot bolt.

As well, the passenger side of the M46 bellhousing hits the transmission tunnel just inside the firewall. There is some sort of bulge in the bellhousing there; possibly a boss for one of the locating pins...

As previously mentioned the oil pan drops too soon resulting in this...

and this...

The good news is there is loads of height to work with. You can just see the head peeking out above the inner fender tops and the hood is a good 5 or 6 inches above that...

If we can get an intake to work without hitting the master cylinder, standing it up will be significantly less trouble. All in all there seems to be plenty of room...

Sorry about the big images. I asked Photobucket to downsize them when I uploaded. They apparently didn't...

Fixed... :)

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Last edited by Pylon on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 am 

Well if we can stand it up and still fit an intake manifold in there, we'll solve lots of issues. We can use the M41 transmission, which gives closer ratios and the ability to remove the transmission without unbolting the bellhousing from the engine, which is going to be nearly impossible in this car. We would have more room for the header. We wouldn't have to monkey with the oil pan or pickup tube. Motor mounts are easier to build. The head and heater fittings won't be fighting for space. That boss on the bellhousing won't be there, or it won't hit the firewall because it'll be turned 20 degrees upwards. Etc.

The problem is, as Dale and I have discussed, is that injector positioning is fairly critical. Ideally the injectors are to be aimed right at the intake valves, and have the spray hit the membrane between them more or less dead on so that equal amounts of fuel are injested by each valve, keeping the mixture as homogenous as possible. That sort of limits the angle with which the intake manifold can approach the ports.

I would like to cut off the stock intake manifold somewhere behind the injector bungs and fashion a new plenum and fuel rail retainer system. That should solve any clearance issues, and shift the powerband up higher in the RPM range due to the shorter runners (that can also be opened up slightly) and likely bigger plenum. It will also keep the proper aim on the injector spray. We'll have to get it welded 'cause I can't do aluminium, but such is life.

I really think this is the proper way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm 

What Matt said...we can get aluminum welded down here (not by me as I've not got a TIG yet). I'm a little worried that #4 intake runner is going to hit the MC when straight up. If you start to monkey around with the intake runners, what about tucking them in and curving them down? Crazier idea, what about doing up an adapter that clocks the M41 at an angle, say 10 degrees)? I've been thinking about an under floor remote for clutch and brake when I do the whiteblock. Not that this is relevant for this build, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 pm 

I would prefer not to build new runners - what I'm envisioning is the plenum hanging "below" the runners.

We can get aluminium welded up here too. Not sure the cost difference, but it's surely not worth two or three trips to LA to get it welded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:54 pm 

That's what I was thinking, plenum below the runners would be good. What about clocking the block only 10 degrees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:20 pm 

Then you're in for a world of hurt. You've got your choice of 0* or 20* oil pan and 0* or 20* transmission & bellhousing. Mount the engine at 10* and you've got a compromise to make in both areas, or much fabrication (which is fine if you're into that sort of thing). Fabrication for the sake of fabrication is not what I've signed up for. :wink:

I'm pretty confident that we can make a good manifold out of the stock one, and stand the block upright. Or we can't, and we leave it at 20*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm 

There is probably even room to go above the m/c with a plenum. Hell, we could likely use some of those BMW "U" shaped runners and sit the ITBs and plenum on top of the head I've got another m/c with a remote reservior that might save some space there although the clutch master will still be there so not a lot of space to be gained by doing that.

After thinking about it for a couple of days it seems standing it up would be the least painful. On top of the things Matt mentioned is the direct fit for the driveshaft as well as the shifter location.

Will the B20 oil pump bolt in to a B230 or do we need to use a B230 pump and modify the pickup? I've got a brand new B230 pump here but not a B20 pump. If Paul is parting out that B20 he has, we could likely steel the pickup tube when I pull the oilpan, if need be.

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next