Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:47 pm 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

OK...so after re-reading that paragraph and looking at things, it seems the oil pumps are not the "special" part. I need a B20 pump. What is needed is the transfer tube that is not part of the pump assembly and I need the transfer tube from an early B21. Any problems with pulling a used one from a car at PYP? Greg, what do you have for older B21 stuff? Did this block have a bunch of internals or are those what Craig robbed? Either way, he likely didn't take the transfer tube...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:17 am 

Pylon wrote:
OK...so after re-reading that paragraph and looking at things, it seems the oil pumps are not the "special" part. I need a B20 pump. What is needed is the transfer tube that is not part of the pump assembly and I need the transfer tube from an early B21. Any problems with pulling a used one from a car at PYP? Greg, what do you have for older B21 stuff? Did this block have a bunch of internals or are those what Craig robbed? Either way, he likely didn't take the transfer tube...

I didn't take the tube, it doesn't fit. There is no reason that a used tube isn't up to the task (clean it out first as it is to late to have it cooked at the machine shop). The only problem with pulling one, is that it's a pain :lol: Someone has to have one around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:36 pm 

Pylon wrote:

I believe I have two b21 pumps and transfer tubes sitting around. The one is from that b21a, and the other is from an '84 b21ft. You're welcome to whatever I've got from those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 pm 

The one from this block might work, depending on what year it is. I'll have to look at the date code on it. The one from the '84 won't work. Apparently it's a '76 to '79 only part...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 am 

volvoshredder wrote:
Pylon wrote:

I believe I have two b21 pumps and transfer tubes sitting around. The one is from that b21a, and the other is from an '84 b21ft. You're welcome to whatever I've got from those.

Greg,

Can you compare those two tubes? If they're different, one of them is right. I can't find a date code on this block. I think the paint is too thick... :?

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:12 pm 

Will do tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm 

volvoshredder wrote:
Will do tonight.

Maybe tonight? :D

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:15 pm 

Sorry! Did it last night, but forgot to post my findings. :lol:

Both my tubes are the same. I couldn't find any date stamps on the pumps themselves, but I suppose the later style could have been put on an early engine. Or the b21a is a later model. Isn't the date stamp on the block right near where the oil drain would be on a turbo model? If you need to scrape some paint off I don't mind. But I'm guessing I don't have the right part for you Dale....well, I do, but its in the block in my yellow car.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:07 pm 
Strapping on extra booster rockets

Early pump looks totally different like a B20 pump IIRC and the late pump doesn't fit the early sump. The early sump is more "squared off" and flat on both sides if you happen to have the sumps from both engines. The late one has a big bulge in the passenger side for the late model pump pickup.

In the states, you are looking for a 76-sometime 78 car. 79 and newer usually has a late pan/sump and pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:49 pm 
I can fix the world

Doesn't someone have a 75 around here? Would the late style work in an early block?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:13 pm 

Edicius wrote:
Doesn't someone have a 75 around here? Would the late style work in an early block?

'75 would be B20...

Sheesh...Volvo techs... :roll:

:D

The difference between the early and late style pumps (that I can see anyways) is the early pump has a longer upper section (the bodies split in half) and a shorter lower section. The toe of the "foot" is in about the same position on both pumps. The longer upper section on the early pump drops the transfer tube position about 1/2" so I can see the difference there. Beyond that, other than some casting differences, everything else looks to be in about the same position. Incidentally, the later pump is nice smooth investment casting and is aluminum while the early pump is rough cast iron and significantly more heavy than the early pump...

We may well end up shortening the pick-up on the later pump and going with that as modifying the transfer tube would involve lengthening it which might be more trouble...

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post subject: Re: It Begins...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:53 pm 

Location: Didn't learn, now renovating bathroom #2, and you think cars are expensive!!!
I am sure you might have some pictures of what happened this weekend :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Things happened?

Besides snow fall?

PICS!

UPDATES! :D

=D>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:58 pm 

Volvord wrote:
I am sure you might have some pictures of what happened this weekend :roll:

Yeah, yeah...forgot the camera in the garage last night so I'm letting it acclimatize before firing it up and uploading pictures. There are some good ones though :mrgreen:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:29 pm 

Ok...for the last few weeks (months?) I've been collecting parts to build an engine and do other interesting stuff to my 122. On Saturday we got started...

Ian came over to give me a hand with the new wiring harness. I purchased a Painless knock-off called E-Z Wiring. It's an 18 circuit harness and comes with the fuse panel all wiring labelled. While it's significantly more complex than the original 4-fuse system the 122 had, it will simplify things when it comes to tracing faults and wiring in new accessories like a stereo or a MegaSquirt unit.

First things first...get the old harness out from under the dash. This is a good sign...

Then we had to decide where the new fuse panel would go. For this build of the car I want the under-hood area as free of wiring as possible and since these cars have loads of room up under the dash, that's where the fuse panel will go...

Then we had to unravel the harness as it was shipped and isolate what was going where...

Ian is really a hard guy to keep motivated at times...

Anyhow, it's at the stage now where we can start connecting the dots. Again, we are working towards having as little wiring in the engine bay as possible so things like MegaSquirt control units and relay blocks will go under the dash. Even though it looks like chaos, everything is very well organized and should tuck neatly away and out if sight.

Matt came over and started building the bottom end of the engine...

First the block...a B230 bored out to 2nd oversize and painted with POR15 Ford Red engine paint...

Matt spent a couple of hours washing out all the oil passages, etc...just to be sure we had a clean block to start with.

Next things were measured to make sure we actually got what we wanted back from the machine shop...

Then it was time for a little assembly lube and assembly...

Hmmm...crankshaft didn't fall out when we flipped the block...always a good sign...

Hmmm...these are pretty...

Wait...what? A box from RSI?

Yummy... :mrgreen:

Huh? Valve reliefs?

Looks like they come up out of the deck too...

Just about what we wanted them to...

Our supervisor was there cracking the whip. Talk about fussy... :lol:

No, actually she's a little angel and she stopped by to say hi to Daddy and the rest of us.

That's where we are right now. If you haven't figured it out, we are building a 16V engine for it. It will not be force-fed but should make sufficient power to keep up with you boosted junkies, keeping in mind this car is close to 1000 pounds lighter than your 2/7/9 series cars. Some more cool stuff to come which will have to wait until I have pictures to reveal those. :twisted:

'67 123GT
'67 122s
'99 AMG E55T

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next